It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• Okay, Forteo Users. I've Got A Question!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-20-2005, 08:51 PM   #1
    CrohnieToo
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CrohnieToo HB User
    Okay, Forteo Users. I've Got A Question!

No, I'm not in a panic, nor even concerned. Just curious at this point.

I gave my second Forteo injection tonight (I prefer to do it in the evening). About an hour after the injection I was dressing for bed and noticed that there is a good size, reddened "splotch" around the injection site. There's a good size red irregular area outlined in an even darker red, about 1 inch long by 3/4 inch wide, with the red injection site somewhat off center in it. No itching, no tenderness, just this "splotch" around the injection site.

Anyone else encounter this?

Last edited by CrohnieToo; 08-20-2005 at 08:55 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2005, 09:52 PM   #2
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
    Re: Okay, Forteo Users. I've Got A Question!

ChronieToo,
    Yes the "red splotch" - I got that in the beginning also and sometimes still do. As long as you don't get it all the time then your probably not allergic to the medication. I was afraid that I was allergic to the medication or something in the solution. I wouldn't worry about it unless you get it everytime then call your doctor. Sometimes it takes almost 24 hours for mine to disappear.

Old 08-21-2005, 08:26 AM   #3
    CrohnieToo
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CrohnieToo HB User

Sure 'nuff, Taape. Its been about 13 hours since that 2nd Forteo injection and the "splotch" is much more faint than when I first discovered it. Interesting.

Old 08-21-2005, 08:36 AM   #4
    CrohnieToo
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CrohnieToo HB User

I did do something I "never" do. Which just goes to show you "never say never".

I started Wellbutrin SR 100 mg 1 x daily one day and started Forteo the very next day. Not too swift given my sensitivity to so many meds but hey, I have GOT to QUIT smoking! And I had waited "long enough" in my book to start the Forteo so ...

Only sleeping about 4 hours a night since starting the Wellbutrin, starting at the very first night. The second night, which would be the first night starting the Forteo, when I wake up after those 4 hours I have a headache. Bad enough I have to pop a Tylenol. I love these new Tylenol Rapid Release Gels, they do work fast! Its anyone's guess which is causing the headaches, the Wellbutrin or the Forteo. Haven't checked the med info sheets for side effect information because at this point I am NOT ready to give up so easily on either med! Besides, the Tylenol RRGs keep the headache w/in reasonable range and I have Ambien here if I have to resort to it. I'm hoping I won't have to resort to it but ....

Old 08-21-2005, 12:09 PM   #5
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I don't think the Forteo has ever given me a headache. The side effects listed dizzyness and rapid heart beat. Just checked the insert medication guide and there is a table listing side effects of Forteo and a Placebo and it's just about the same. So headache is a side effect listed as #2, pain is listed as #1. Did you get this paperwork inside your pen box? I'm not sure of what side effects Wellbutrin may give you as I'm not familiar with it. Is it an anti depressant?

Old 08-21-2005, 06:37 PM   #6
    annieb214
    (female)

annieb214 HB User

Hi Guys, I started taking Forteo about a week and a half ago and I get one of those red splotches most days for about 2 or 3 hours. Last night I started getting pretty significant leg cramps. I have been taking the injection in the morning and have not been getting true muscle cramps (just a general feeling of muscle tightness) until late last night. Today I have a bear of a headache. I'm not saying it is due to the Forteo... but... Overall I have been side pretty much side effect free and have found that the stomach injections hurt less than the thighs. Does anyone think it would cause a problem to do stomach injections only? Thanks and have a good week,

Annie

Old 08-21-2005, 09:48 PM   #7
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

AnnieB214
    I've been doing abdomen only injections for almost a year with no problem. It should be fine.

Old 08-21-2005, 11:03 PM   #8
    CrohnieToo
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CrohnieToo HB User

Yes, Wellbutrin is an anti-depressant. They are also touting it for smoking cessation (as Zyban) and there has been some evidence that it works on the anti-TNF similar to Remicade tho not as strongly or effectively in curbing Crohn's disease symptoms as well as having some pain relieving properties. All I ask of it is that it really does help with the smoking cessation. The thought occurred to me the list of claims of things Wellbutrin helps with almost makes it sound like the claims we see with the OTC, "natural" products:

Too darn good to be true

Last edited by CrohnieToo; 08-21-2005 at 11:05 PM.

Old 08-22-2005, 05:19 AM   #9
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I hope it helps you with the smoking cessation. Good luck with quitting smoking, I know from other patients how difficult it is.

Old 08-26-2005, 06:02 PM   #10
    PatNJ
    Veteran
    (female)

PatNJ HB User

I, too, get the red splotches after injecting myself, Chronie. As you said, they don't itch, hurt, or feel hot... my endo said before I started using Forteo that some people develop a localized reaction, which is normal.

I entertain myself every night, trying to figure out if the splotch looks like a country, a cartoon character, or anything remotely identifiable. I haven't come us with anything yet. (Simple pleasures for... well, you know the rest!)

Old 08-28-2005, 04:52 PM   #11
    spinewhine
    (female)

spinewhine HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PatNJ
    I, too, get the red splotches after injecting myself, Chronie. As you said, they don't itch, hurt, or feel hot... my endo said before I started using Forteo that some people develop a localized reaction, which is normal.

I entertain myself every night, trying to figure out if the splotch looks like a country, a cartoon character, or anything remotely identifiable. I haven't come us with anything yet. (Simple pleasures for... well, you know the rest!)
    I get the red splotch only rarely, but others here posted that they got it all the time. I think it was Oldbones, who used to post here. Oldbones . . . you still out there? How are you doing?

Old 08-29-2005, 02:23 PM   #12
    CrohnieToo
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CrohnieToo HB User

I'm not running into any rhyme nor reason on these splotches. Sometimes I gettem, some times I don't, makes no difference between belly or thigh either. Go figure. I never thought of trying to find something in them like we used to look for pictures in the clouds!!! Ah, the little things that can amuse us, huh?

Closed Thread