It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• My annual DEXA scan

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-31-2005, 11:46 AM   #1
    ZoeGirl
    Veteran
    (female)

ZoeGirl HB User
    My annual DEXA scan

I'm a 35 yr old who had her first DEXA scan last year. Reason for scan - family history of osteopenia and osteoporosis.

My first scan was done at an outside lab, then sent to the Rhematologist. He wasn't happy with the vertical reading, saying that he doesn't use those (or trust them). I never really understood that.
    Last years T-scores
    vertical spine was -2.5
    lateral spine -1.4
    hips -1.4

This year
    lateral spine is -1.63
    hips -1.28

The nurse said the T-scores were better this year, but said they didn't know how to put together the vertical and lateral from last year. -1.63 is better than -2.5, but not better than -1.4
    I'm still happy with the results. I will have another scan in another year... so we can compare the numbers from the same equipment. Any one know anything about doctors and their opinions on vertical vs lateral t scores?

It seems I've lost a 1/4" in height, but that could have been me not standing straight enough or MAYBE I had shoes on last year (I have no idea!). I get measured every year at my GYN too and I measured 1/4" than that measurement. I doubt I've shrunk.

They recommend I take 1500mg or calcium and 800IU of Vit D, so I have some new supplements I picked up on the way home.

Over this last year the only change I made was slight calcium increase and I was running a few times a week. I plan on increasing my running times. I hope I can increase my bone mass without having to take any drugs. My sister has had bad experiences with them and I don't want to go through that!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread