It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• Does Your Forteo Pen Do This?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-16-2005, 08:04 PM   #1
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
    Does Your Forteo Pen Do This?

Sometimes after I put the needle on the pen, there is a drop of medication on the end of the needle. This is before I even turn it to #1 and press the button. Has anybody else experienced this? It's almost like the pen is too full or maybe it's damaged somehow, I'm not sure. I know during some hot and humid weather it seemed to do it more often after taking the pen out of the cool refrigerator into the hot, humid air.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2005, 01:17 AM   #2
    CrohnieToo
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CrohnieToo HB User
    Re: Does Your Forteo Pen Do This?

Condensation, you think, from the cold of the frige to the warmth of the room air?? I can't say that I have noticed any thing on the needle until I give the first push of the plunger to get the pen started.

Old 11-17-2005, 07:30 AM   #3
    newbones
    (female)

newbones HB User

I haven' noticed this. I have noticed that sometimes there is a drop on the end of the needle after I have primed it and also sometimes after I've given the injection. I'll try to watch to see if it ever happens after I've attached the needle and before priming.

Old 11-20-2005, 07:21 PM   #4
    lrlemos
    (female)

lrlemos HB User

I just started a new pen today and as soon as I put the needle on it started leaking drops of medication. After I primed it, it also leaked. My other pens didn't do this. It's almost like it's too full. I hope its delivering the correct dose, though. Is your pen still doing it after a few doses are used up?

Old 11-21-2005, 06:25 PM   #5
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Irlemos,
    My pen leaks from time to time usually when it's full. When I was in a hot humid climate for awhile it seemed to do it whether full or not. Maybe from the temperature changes. There's enough doses in the pen that if your not sure about the dose giving you the right amount, you can prime it and start over. When I get time I think I'll call Eli Lilly about this.

Old 12-12-2005, 12:08 PM   #6
    lrlemos
    (female)

lrlemos HB User

I finally contacted Eli/Lilly and they advised me not to use this pen anymore. Whenever I had a needle on it, it leaked. Also the red dot at the top of the needle bulged out. They sent me a voucher for a replacement pen and told me to hang onto the defective one, I might have to send it to them. Their rationale was that if it was leaking it probably was not giving the correct dose.

Old 12-12-2005, 06:40 PM   #7
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

They are really good about replacing the pens. What red dot are you talking about - my needles don't have one.

Old 12-13-2005, 05:45 AM   #8
    CrohnieToo
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CrohnieToo HB User

Not on the needle, Taape. Look at the needle end of your pen BEFORE you put the needle on it. That is where the little rubber red dot it. That red dot is where the enclosed end of your needle goes in to bring the Forteo out and thru the needle and out the other end of the needle into your body when you press the plunger.

Old 12-13-2005, 05:12 PM   #9
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ChronieToo,
    Thanks, I wasn't paying attention.

Old 12-14-2005, 05:38 AM   #10
    CrohnieToo
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CrohnieToo HB User

I'm just naturally the curious, even nosey, type. So I just naturally looked that pen over good. I even watch the plunger's position on the pen shaft before and after priming and my injection. I hold the pen and needle up to a dark background when I do the priming so I can see the "squirt" and watch until the "drop" stops coming out the upright needle before shaking off that "drop" and re-setting the pen for the actual injection. What can I say?? I wanna see, I wanna know.

Old 12-14-2005, 09:33 PM   #11
    BoneMan
    (male)

BoneMan HB User

My 1st, and 2nd pen has done this. But I have also been watching exactly how much the plunger moves on each injection. It moves consistant the same distance every time with the #2 position, so I know I am getting the proper dose.
    Call Lilly, I am sure its not an issue.

Closed Thread