It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• TRY Not To Get Too Excited About This ...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-01-2005, 02:01 AM   #1
    CrohnieToo
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CrohnieToo HB User
    Thumbs up TRY Not To Get Too Excited About This ...

The Roche Diagnostics' Elecsys N-MID Osteocalcin test has now received clearance from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration! This test determines the amount of osteocalcin, a protein found in the bone and in blood serum, which is an indicator of bone formation. Most of us can only get a bone scan once every two years because of the insurance reimbursement and because it takes that long for the scan to see changes in bone formation through that type of test. Clinical studies showed that the group that was tested at 3-month intervals increased their adherence to therapy by 57 percent and stayed on their therapy for 25 percent longer compared to the group with no monitoring. (*Duh. No kidding!). To test with the Roche Diagnostics Elecsys N-MID Osteocalcin test patients need to have their blood drawn in the physician's office or on-site at a laboratory, and it typically takes one to two days for the results.

The Elecsys Osteocalcin N-MID test will be available for laboratories in
    November and should be available for testing of postmenopausal women with
    osteoporosis by the end of 2005.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2005, 10:21 AM   #2
    Aleta145
    (female)

Aleta145 HB User
    Re: TRY Not To Get Too Excited About This ...

This is great news, Crohnie Too. I was about to post it myself when I thought I'd better read some of the recent posts just in case somebody else got this news. I've tried to find out what this test may cost, but no luck yet. Wouldn't it be great if they could develop a home test, similar to what diabetics use to monitor their glucose levels?

Old 12-08-2005, 12:10 PM   #3
    CrohnieToo
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CrohnieToo HB User

I contacted Roche about this test. They also have a PTH (parathyroid hormone) test and another for osteoporosis: Beta-CrossLaps. I'm not quite sure what this Beta-CrossLaps checks. The Osteocalcin test is already in use in a couple of labs in my state - but all are an hour from me or more. I'm wondering if any of these three tests were blood tests I've read some of our members have had done. Most I've asked when they've mentioned regular blood draws, etc. didn't know which tests were run. I just don't like waiting a year - or longer - to see if any current treatment I'm undergoing is doing any good or if I'm losing ground with it and need to consider other options in addition to or in place of what we are currently doing.

Old 12-08-2005, 03:07 PM   #4
    Aleta145
    (female)

Aleta145 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CrohnieToo
    I'm not quite sure what this Beta-CrossLaps checks.
    That test checks for bone resorption. Supposedly it tells whether your Fosamax (or whatever biphosphonate you may use) is working, as early as 3 months after beginning treatment.

Old 12-08-2005, 05:31 PM   #5
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

Wow, this is something to be jumping up and down about. Thanks for the information. I haven't done my labs yet so I'll contact my doctor and see if the test is available at the hospital where I go for labs.

Old 12-12-2005, 04:57 PM   #6
    judynearottawa
    (female)

judynearottawa HB User

I had that test done a couple of times, I think as my Endocrinolgist would ask for it ...he had an Xlaps....word down as the test, and so likely that was it. He was a very thorough and up to date doctor, but unfortunately he became very ill, and now I have a new one, a Rhemetologist ..although she specializes in Osteo too ..should I get an Endocrinoligist too or instead? I miss the constant checkup re blood tests, print out results, and such. Right now I am not on anything..imagine ..only seen once last August...just sitting here losing bone denisty by the day ..my T score spinal is minus 3.5 and I am supposed to go on Forteo. Well, I did all the right things, the Eli Lily Customer Care program, the insurance I have (max is 1250 per year), and even the Government here in Ontario ...but it all comes down to me, just little me, modest retired lady, funding it all.No help at all. But you do get one free month for Forteo they say. I am overwhelmed by the cost but have decided to go ahead with it, and pay for it in time.(like a mortgage I figure without the house, but maybe the spinal numbers are what I am getting) My regular GP got quite annoyed that I was not just going ahead with it fast as in last August, as she says I should just go on Forteo and do not wait for funding help as it will not come, she says, "Do it, dont wait for any help financially" It was nice of my GP to be so firm and emotional really, as she took the time to give me her honest opinion .Here in Ontario, I think she is right. So, my question is ..I was on Fosamax for five years (had no side effects that I noticed) but then I did not build bone either I guess, so ..my question is ..Forteo is a lot of my pension in Canadian dollars here, so is it worth it? I guess so, as I have tried the other drugs, and here I am at minus 3.5, spine and hips, and in a bit of pain too, but not too badly though...so ...I guess I go for it, do I ? I am single, and all by myself so I tried to get long term care insurance, and also more insurance but they said not with my T scores ...so that is that. I will have to meet a nice man with a good medical plan eh? Just kidding, as I am single and sometimes wish I had a good "medical plan" as my married friends seem to. So, do I go on Forteo? I plan to put it on my Mastercard and get air miles too.(might get enough for a trip in the end)..1000 a month Forteo is here in Ottawa. So, Merry Christmas to me, as Santa will bring me Forteo I guess. Any advice welcome as I am very appreciative of this forum, as it is my support group here you know. Thank you to you all in advance. I do not do any sports now, just walking and a bit of swimming, light weights as I have back pain now, and neckpain too. Not too much, but my doctor said it will improve if I exercise more, so I will try to. And should I have an endo too, besides the rhymetologist who seems to run Forteo studies? ( I could not get in the study though as it is a preFosamax Forteo trial) ...I wish there was a study I could have joined to get Forteo but I could not find one here. Well, this purchase is the biggest ever in my life, except buying a house, with took many years(30) to buy. Big decisions in health care here. We with Osteoporosis are on our own here. No governemt help at all. Serious times.

Old 12-12-2005, 06:50 PM   #7
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

judynearottawa,
    If you go ahead and decide to use the Forteo please keep your receipts and get together the paperwork such as the prescription from your doctor and letter of medical necessity including all the treatments you have tried prior to using it. If the doctor also documents what will occur if you do not get treated, that might help scare insurance or whatever agency into paying. Can you get a repeat scan showing any decreases in bone density since your doctor recommended Forteo for you? After the free month and the month you pay for I would resubmit all your paperwork (and receipt) to insurance, the government office etc., requesting again that they pay for it. It might work because then they will know that your serious. I hate to see you go without treatment when it should be funded by some source or another. Let us know.

Closed Thread