It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• Osteopenia at age 32

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-11-2006, 11:23 PM   #1
    OgieD
    (male)

OgieD HB User
    Osteopenia at age 32

I am an asian ethnic group with a height of 5"2 and 130lbs
    I have some moderate disc herination in my lumbar L4-L5
    Just recently I was diagnosed with Osteopenia with a -2.0 S.D
    I am now taking prescribed calcium supplements, and going to start fosamax
    I am a smoker and now gradually cutting down to quit in the near future
    Do I still have hope to rebuild my bones to the normal condition?
    What steps should I take?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2006, 11:05 AM   #2
    Aleta145
    (female)

Aleta145 HB User
    Re: Osteopenia at age 32

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OgieD
    Do I still have hope to rebuild my bones to the normal condition?
    What steps should I take?
    Hi OgieD and welcome to the board. To answer your first question...Yes, you can stop and even reverse your osteopenia. There's no need to panic here...this is a wake-up call that there are certain lifestyle changes you need to make or you'll be in trouble later in life. So what steps can you take?

1) Quit smoking.
    2) Increase your intake of foods that contain calcium.
    3) Take calcium +D and also magnesium at half the dose of the calcium you're taking.
    4) Do weight-bearing and also resistance exercises.

These behavior changes above aren't just for people with low bone mineral density..they're beneficial for most people. But talk to your doctor first before starting any new exercise routine. If your health insurance covers it, you might want to try physical therapy first to address your herniated disc, but you have to get a doctor's order first.

Examples of weight-bearing exercise: Jogging, walking, stair climbing, dancing and soccer - anything that creates impact on your bones.

Examples of resistance exercise: Lifting free weights to build muscle, which in turn pulls on bone.

About quitting smoking - Just a suggestion here...my grandmother, who smoked for longer than you are alive, quit cold turkey (after having a collapsed lung) and replaced the habit with walking. Every time she felt like a smoke, she took a walk. (By the way, she's 92 years old now and still has her own apartment. Hint hint.) Anyway, It helps to replace the bad habit with a good one, and eliminate triggers. When I quit 12 years ago, I also gave up alcohol for a while, because it was so automatic for me to have a beer and a ciggy when I got home from work. I can now have a drink occasionally and it won't trigger a tobacco craving.

As for Fosamax, I personally don't think it should be prescribed for osteopenia, but I'm not a doctor so that's just my opinion. If I were in your position, I would try those behavior changes and see what effect that has on my BMD.
    Current treatment: Evista

Old 01-22-2006, 09:34 AM   #3
    Bernadette12
    (female)

Bernadette12 HB User

THANKS for that great post with such great information! They did a study once, that was broadcast on 60 Minutes, I think. They had several groups of older women. One group did the strength training, one group took drugs, one just made dietary changes, etc., but the ONLY group who saw actual bone growth (not just a reduction of loss) was the group who did daily strength training! I bought by 80 year old mother, one of those stretch bands that look a bit like a jump rope. You don't need expensive equipment to strengthen muscle. They include a pamphlet on various exercises to go your whole body and all you need is a door or chair or somewhere else to hook it to.

Fosamax killed my friend this past summer. He, like most of us, shouldn't have been prescribed the drug. It did him infinitely more harm than good. That doctors are prescribing it as a preventative measure is unconscionable! It's incredibly hard on the digestive system and once that goes, like it did in my friend's body, you sure don't have to worry about fractures because you won't be alive. Please, anyone on "bone building" drugs, watch for ANY signs of heartburn or other gastro distress because Fosamax is probably harming you and the effects are cumulative.

Good luck to all. Please read The Myth of Osteoporosis and PLEASE research, fully, any drug that a doctor prescribes, before taking it.

Old 01-28-2006, 08:36 PM   #4
    nr2go
    (female)

nr2go HB User

OgieD, did you also have blood and urine tests done? If you haven't there may be other reasons for having Ostepenia at your age. Hyperparathyroidism can cause premature Ostepenia or Osteoporsis.

Old 01-29-2006, 09:50 PM   #5
    Fibbles
    (male)

Fibbles HB User

I have osteoperosis and I'm 27 and male, but it's my bone disease that is causing/has caused it.

I take calcium and magnesium supplements and quit drinking caffeine (I never smoked). I've really upped my intake of green leafy veggies, but I'm lactose intolerant so I have to be careful with dairy. The only thing I have trouble with is the excercise. I have a lot of pain due to the disease, so I can only do very light workouts, but they still bring more pain than it's usually worth and my asthma is another limiting factor. Water based excersise is good, but do to the lack of heated indoor pool availability, that's out for the cooler months (there's 2 pools here and 1 is by expensive membership only).

Closed Thread