It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• Calcium Holiday

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-21-2006, 08:28 PM   #1
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
    Calcium Holiday

Does anyone else take a day off now and then from eating dairy calcium? I usually eat a small container of yogurt everyday and either some milk or frozen yogurt also. Right now I'm totally tired of eating any of these items so I'm taking the day off and just taking the supplements.

Last edited by taape; 01-21-2006 at 08:29 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2006, 07:34 AM   #2
    illmakeit
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

illmakeit HB User
    Re: Calcium Holiday

Hi!
    I understand! I have the opposite problem - I hate taking the calcium pills - or any meds.

I don't think one day is going to matter a whole lot.

I try to serve calcium rich foods since my husband is lactose intolerant. You may not like all these foods, but perhaps it will help you make some good calcium choices when you don't want to eat dairy. I believe the natural is better than fortified – and you need the vitamin D along with the calcium – but you do have to watch how much Vitamin D you take. Getting too much vitamin D through diet alone is not likely unless you take a large amount of cod liver oil or vitamin D in supplements. Vitamin D toxicity can cause nausea, vomiting, poor appetite, constipation, weakness, and weight loss. It can also raise blood levels of calcium, causing mental status changes such as confusion. High blood levels of calcium also can cause heart rhythm abnormalities.

We eat some of these foods high in Calcium. The mg is approximate – read the labels:
    Black Beans 1 cup, 120 mg calcium
    Navy Beans 1 cup, 130 mg calcium
    Soybeans, cooked 1 cup, 180 mg calcium has oxalic acid(see below)
    Spinach, raw or slightly cooked 1/2 cup 130 mg calcium has oxalic acid -
    (NOT canned if possible), According to the food and drug Administration:
    “An excellent source of antioxidants, Spinach has four times the beta carotene of broccoli. High in lutein, nutrients in Spinach help lower blood cholesterol. It also contains carbohydrates, protein, fiber, vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium, iron and folic acid. For best nutritional value, eat Spinach raw or slightly cooked.”
    Bok Choy 1/2 cup, 80 mg calcium
    Kale, cooked1/2 cup, 90 mg calcium has oxalic acid
    Corn Tortilla1, 6 inch, 50 mg calcium
    Orange Juice1 cup, 300 mg calcium
    Cereal 1 cup, 300 mg
    Soy milk, fortified 1 cup, 400 mg
    Mustard Greens, 1/2 cup, 100 mg
    Tofu 1 cup, 40 mg
    Almonds 2 oz., 150 mg
    Oysters 3 oz., 80 mg
    Fortified Cereal 1 cup, 300 mg calcium
    Waffle, fortified 1, 150 mg
    Canned Salmon w/bones 3 oz, 180 mg Fortified has Vitamin D
    Greens, mustard 1/2 cup, 100 mg calcium Fortified

By the way - oxalic acid decreases the absorption of calcium, great huh?
    Also, plant foods high in insoluble fiber, such as whole grains and wheat bran decrease the absorption of calcium. And I thought these whole grain cereals and breads were so great. So do laxatives and the high intake of magnesium and phosphorus.

It seems, sometimes, no matter how hard you try to eat right, there is always SOMETHING that counteracts it.

You can get Vitamin D from the following:
    Exposure to sunlight
    Cod Liver Oil
    Mackerel
    Sardines, canned in oil, drained
    Eel – YUK!
    Margarine, fortified
    Cereal grain bars, fortified
    Dry cereal, Vit D fortified
    Beef Liver, cooked, WHO would eat it raw?
    Egg, 1 whole (vitamin D is present in the yolk)

Old 01-22-2006, 11:41 AM   #3
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Illmakeitm,
    Thanks for your reply. I do eat beans and like those better than dairy. Do you know if the Calcium from dairy is different from the calcium in beans and greens? Like is the dairy calcium natural and the calcium in beans and greens added as Calcium carbonate like it is added to orange juice? I hate taking the pills also but sometimes just need a variety of foods to eat and still getting enough calcium. I usually get my Vit D from being outside in the sun.

Old 01-23-2006, 12:02 PM   #4
    illmakeit
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

illmakeit HB User

Hi taape,

The word "FORTIFIED" means it is added to the food. The ingredients label will USUALLY have calcium listed in some form if it is added. Fresh foods, like the black beans in a plastic bag, are natural. So is the fresh spinach – except it has oxalic acid, which decreases the absorption of calcium. They don’t have additives – I like to cook my own.

Canned foods usually have something added. Some frozen products also have things added. I prefer the natural fresh foods, if possible. Even the fresh and frozen meats can have additives (think about the frozen turkeys). It’s awful what you have to do to try and eat healthy foods!

I don’t think Orange Juice has any natural calcium. The list I gave you had that on it , but it was for fortified orange juice, I think. I just copied some from my word files on calcium and didn’t check it too well! SORRY!

Calcium Citrate is supposed to be the best absorbed supplement form of calcium. You don’t have to eat with it. It doesn’t need stomach acid to break apart, which is good for older people who may have decreased stomach acid production(like me).
    You might want to google or ask jeeves to compare it with Calcium Carbonate. It all gets SO confusing!!

Hope this helped!
    TT 1/26/06 -Levothyroxine 75-88

Old 01-23-2006, 05:54 PM   #5
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thanks for all the information. I will look to see if the food item is listed as Fortified, I hadn't thought of that. I do take Citracal so the Calcium and it's nice because you can take it without food. I'm happily (sort of) back to my yogurt eating.

Closed Thread