It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• Stopping Forteo for a week...........

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-08-2006, 05:43 AM   #1
    ThinBones
    (female)

ThinBones HB User
    Stopping Forteo for a week...........

I have been taking Forteo for almost a year now. I have had no problems with it but recently I have felt just awful. I am also peri-menopausal and having quite a few symptons on and off that are affecting me. Recently though I have felt just awful. No, and I mean no energy during the day, can't wait to get in bed at night, feel short of breathe at times, and I know these are all signs of menopause but they are getting so extreme that I figured I would take a week off from Forteo to see if it has any effect. Has anyone else had any of these problems???? I am at my wits end as I know I cannot stop taking Forteo but I feel some days I cannot continue if it is the Forteo that is making me feel so awful. Anyone else in the same boat or is it just the woes of menopause??? Thanks so much!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2006, 05:59 AM   #2
    CrohnieToo
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CrohnieToo HB User
    Re: Stopping Forteo for a week...........

I can think of absolutely no reason why skipping Forteo for one week would do any harm altho it would be a good idea to discuss this w/your scripting doctor before doing so. On the other hand I don't see much sense or use in stopping Forteo for a week given the symptoms you describe.

But then I don't see some of these symptoms you describe as symptoms of peri-menopause either. I'm always leery of doctors blaming too much on menopause and/or peri-menopause because it is simpler and cheaper than checking for the real cause. Or are you self-diagnosing?

Personally, I would ask for an overnight oximetry. All you do is sleep w/a finger clip and a little box the size of a paperback book for a night. But it may well explain your lack of energy, exhaustion and shortness of breath. Its a cheap enough test, usually there is no charge. If you aren't getting restorative sleep your symptoms are classic.

If you are self-Dx'ing, get thee to your doctor. If peri-menopause is your doctor's suggestion then get pushy or get another doctor. Good luck and God bless.

Old 03-08-2006, 07:21 AM   #3
    spinewhine
    (female)

spinewhine HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThinBones
    I have been taking Forteo for almost a year now. I have had no problems with it but recently I have felt just awful. I am also peri-menopausal and having quite a few symptons on and off that are affecting me. Recently though I have felt just awful. No, and I mean no energy during the day, can't wait to get in bed at night, feel short of breathe at times, and I know these are all signs of menopause but they are getting so extreme that I figured I would take a week off from Forteo to see if it has any effect. Has anyone else had any of these problems???? I am at my wits end as I know I cannot stop taking Forteo but I feel some days I cannot continue if it is the Forteo that is making me feel so awful. Anyone else in the same boat or is it just the woes of menopause??? Thanks so much!!!

I'd have to go along with Chronie. The shortness of breath would trouble me. Not a sign of menopause that I've heard of. Sounds more like a virus or the flu. I'd check with a doctor about how sick you feel. I haven't had any side effects from the Forteo that I know of.

Old 03-08-2006, 09:30 AM   #4
    ThinBones
    (female)

ThinBones HB User

Yes, I probably am self-dx'ing and I should not but I have over the years not been impressed with too many MD's. I do have my annual GYN appt. next week and I cannot wait as I know I need to find out what is going on. I should clarify I am not really short of breathe but just feel a little starved for oxygen at times which I have read is not that unusual in menopause. I do agree that many things are blamed on being in menopuase that probably should not be. If my bloodwork checks out and everything else, I will have to just resign myself to hormone changes. I have my Endo. appt. early April and she will also do a massive amount of bloodwork as well as assess my response to Forteo. Crossing my fingers!!! I wish she would change me to alternating with the Forteo but don't know if enough studies have been done on that but it would sure be nice!! It makes sense if you stop and then re-start it may stimulate the bone growth response but I don't really know. Here is wishing all of us on this medication the best of bone growth!!!!

Old 03-08-2006, 12:26 PM   #5
    CrohnieToo
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CrohnieToo HB User

Okay, so most doctors can do a spirometry test in their office. Just a matter of blowing into a plastic thig-a-ma-jig to check your breathing status, plus the little ole finger pulse ox that can also be done in the office. The same finger clip thingie they put on you during triage at ER. Have your breathing checked. Don't be hiding your head in the sand. These are cheap, simple tests taking only a minute. I'm not overly impressed w/most doctors myself. However, whilst they don't know my body and what I am experiencing as well as I do, they HAVE had more education as to what "could" be wrong and understanding some of these tests. You are giving up on yourself too easily.

Old 03-09-2006, 01:24 PM   #6
    newbones
    (female)

newbones HB User

Thinbones,
    I would have to agree with the others. The symptoms you describe sound more like some type of flu symptons. I too have been on Forteo for almost a year and so far have had no side effects. I would tend to think any side effects from the Forteo would show up much sooner. It's good that you have a doctor appointment coming up; hopefully you can get some answers that will be helpful. Good luck to you.

Old 03-09-2006, 03:04 PM   #7
    ThinBones
    (female)

ThinBones HB User

Thanks for all the feedback, I had a couple of good days and then today I was exhausted. I will re-start Forteo in a couple of days. Don't think one week will take away the gain, I just had to try but don't think that is it. From what I have read, menopause can cause the exhaustion but I am just not used to feeling this way. I have two MD appts. in the next few weeks so we will see. Allergies are also bad here as spring has sprung early, although it is so nice. Will let you know what Endo. says, especially if any exciting news on the bone-front - so to speak.

Old 03-10-2006, 06:37 AM   #8
    meca
    (female)

meca HB User

Hi Thinbones,

I hope you are feeling better today. I think you are right in thinking it is not the Forteo causing this; hopefully it is just a flu or allergies. I manily wanted to tell you not to worry about beign off the Forteo for a week or two. My endo is considering doing a three month on/three month off thing. He said there may not be any added benefit, but that it wont hurt either, so a week or so shouldn't hurt. I hope you find out soon what is going on. Best of luck.

Old 03-10-2006, 03:20 PM   #9
    spinewhine
    (female)

spinewhine HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by meca
    Hi Thinbones,

I hope you are feeling better today. I think you are right in thinking it is not the Forteo causing this; hopefully it is just a flu or allergies. I manily wanted to tell you not to worry about beign off the Forteo for a week or two. My endo is considering doing a three month on/three month off thing. He said there may not be any added benefit, but that it wont hurt either, so a week or so shouldn't hurt. I hope you find out soon what is going on. Best of luck.

My endo also indicated that some think the 3 month on, 3 month off is better because there's some initial boost in bone turnover from the Forteo that levels off. He told me to stay on it, though. I guess no one has really worked out the best schedule for administering the drug.

Old 03-11-2006, 12:21 PM   #10
    ThinBones
    (female)

ThinBones HB User

Thanks for all your feedback, it does seem to make sense to get the initial boost from the Forteo at different times during the year. Let me tell you how nice it is to take a week off. It is pretty ritual giving the shot every night and I certainly don't mind if it proves beneficial. If anyone on Forteo goes in for their next dexa-scan, please let us know!! I am anxious to see positive or at least no more bone loss from this medication. I know it can take time to see positive results but I can be patient!!

Closed Thread