It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• Just diagnosed: Severe Osteoporosis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-10-2006, 07:02 PM   #1
    Emptybonz
    (female)

Emptybonz HB User
    Just diagnosed: Severe Osteoporosis

I was diagnosed last Monday as having Osteoporosis. Today I went to my doctor to get the results of the bone density and found out it is severe. My right hip is -3.6 and my left hip is -3.3. Yikes!! Fortunately, my spine isn't too bad. I turn 58 next month, I'm 5'4" and weigh 123.

Has anyone else been this bad? I could use a little encouragement!! The doctor is going to put me on Forteo. I didn't realize this will require a daily shot (sigh....). Fun, fun.

So I will be walking a lot more now, which should improve my overall health, right? (As long as I don't fall!)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2006, 08:07 PM   #2
    PikaB
    (male)

PikaB HB User
    Re: Just diagnosed: Severe Osteoporosis

You might want to consider getting a WBV (whole body vibration) platform. In one study, women who used it for 6 months increased hip BMD by nearly 1%. The summary of that study is here:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_u ids=15040822

It is reasonable to assume (but I don't know of any studies which prove it) that the combination of WBV and Forteo would be better than either alone. WBV platforms used to be very expensive (over $1000) but more reasonably-priced ones have begun to appear on the market. I got one last week from Soloflex (at http://www.soloflex.com ).

Here's hoping it boosts my Forteo results. Anybody else out there using the combination of Forteo and WBV platform?

Old 05-11-2006, 05:13 AM   #3
    CrohnieToo
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CrohnieToo HB User

Thanks, PikaB, for that info on the WBV platform. Some time ago, maybe a year ago, someone else here had written about the PowerPlate vibrating platform and how pleased she was w/hers. But PowerPlate made professional models, none available around my area, and had just started making a home individual model which was priced at $3500 at the time and way outta my range tho I was very interested. I'll be sure to look into the SoloFlex. At the time I first read of the PowerPlate there wasn't much reliable info about vibration therapy for osteoporosis and my Endo tho aware of it was somewhat skeptical for the time being.

Old 05-11-2006, 08:21 AM   #4
    Granniluvs8
    (female)

Granniluvs8 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Emptybonz
    I was diagnosed last Monday as having Osteoporosis. Today I went to my doctor to get the results of the bone density and found out it is severe. My right hip is -3.6 and my left hip is -3.3. Yikes!! Fortunately, my spine isn't too bad. I turn 58 next month, I'm 5'4" and weigh 123.

Has anyone else been this bad? I could use a little encouragement!! The doctor is going to put me on Forteo. I didn't realize this will require a daily shot (sigh....). Fun, fun.

So I will be walking a lot more now, which should improve my overall health, right? (As long as I don't fall!)

So sorry abpout your severe osteo. Don't feel bad I have it to and just started Forteo about 1 months ago. It is not that hard really and the needle is very shrp and small so it goes in easily and really doesn't hurt at all , I don't think. It just takes practice so to speak and you get used to it pretty quickly . I used to be a nurse so it might have been a bit easier . However, giving it to yourself may be another matter. After the first few few times you will start feeing more comfortable with it.

BTW, I am 65 with 5 kids and 8 grandkids.

Blessings and 's,

Marilyn

Hope to hear from you soon. I have a busy day and have to run.

Old 05-11-2006, 08:33 AM   #5
    newbones
    (female)

newbones HB User

Emptybonz,
    Welcome to our club! I have been on Forteo for a year now. I am somewhat of a needlephobe and I wasn't sure I could give myself an injection. The first few times were hard but it soon become easy. The needles are very small and I usually hardly feel it at all. My worst score was my spine (-3.3 when I started Forteo). It was quite a shock to learn I had osteoporosis, but I'm trying to do everything I can to combat it. I take calcium supplements in addition to a multi-vitamin and try to get plenty of weight-bearing exercise. I am 59, pretty active and in good health, generally, and do not want to become a crippled up old lady. Good luck to you and to all of us.

Old 05-11-2006, 01:54 PM   #6
    hypatia
    Inactive
    (female)

hypatia HB Userhypatia HB User

I'm wondering why someone just dx'd with osteoporosis would not be prescribed one of the bisphosphonates rather than Forteo, unless of course they have digestive problems, etc. Or is this a silly question?

Old 05-11-2006, 03:20 PM   #7
    mama carlota
    (female)

mama carlota HB User
    Wink Re: Just diagnosed: Severe Osteoporosis

Emptybonz,hi I was diagnosed 2 years ago with -4.3 in the spine and -3 and something in the hips. Am 56 years old and taking Evista and Ezorb. I walk and do some exercise,not what I should be doings. Probably will have a Dexa this fall,and will see how I am doing. I live a normal life and so far have had no problems(knock on wood). Hang in there,you will do just fine. Mama Carlota

Old 05-11-2006, 07:03 PM   #8
    Emptybonz
    (female)

Emptybonz HB User

Thank you to all of you who responded to my post from yesterday. PikaB, I am going to check out that WBV. Thanks for the suggestion.

Granniluvs8, Newbones, and Mama carlota, thanks for your encouragement. I was quite stunned when I was told I have Osteoporosis, and even more stunned when I found out how bad it is. I am determined to do everything I can to improve my bones. I've walked every day since the 1st ("O" day!) and am taking much more calcium than I was before. Granniluvs8 and Newbones, have you had any side effects from the Forteo?

Hypatia, you wondered about me starting out with Forteo rather than first trying bisphosphonates. All I know is that my doctor told me that when she sees Osteoporosis this severe, she goes straight to the Forteo.

Mama carlota, I'm sorry to hear yours is even worse than mine, but in a weird sort of way it does make me feel a little better! I figured I was at the bottom of the totem pole....

I'm thankful to have found this website. You guys understand my feelings better than someone who doesn't have this problem.

Old 05-11-2006, 08:23 PM   #9
    Granniluvs8
    (female)

Granniluvs8 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Emptybonz
    Thank you to all of you who responded to my post from yesterday. PikaB, I am going to check out that WBV. Thanks for the suggestion.

Granniluvs8, Newbones, and Mama carlota, thanks for your encouragement. I was quite stunned when I was told I have Osteoporosis, and even more stunned when I found out how bad it is. I am determined to do everything I can to improve my bones. I've walked every day since the 1st ("O" day!) and am taking much more calcium than I was before. Granniluvs8 and Newbones, have you had any side effects from the Forteo?

Hypatia, you wondered about me starting out with Forteo rather than first trying bisphosphonates. All I know is that my doctor told me that when she sees Osteoporosis this severe, she goes straight to the Forteo.

Mama carlota, I'm sorry to hear yours is even worse than mine, but in a weird sort of way it does make me feel a little better! I figured I was at the bottom of the totem pole....

I'm thankful to have found this website. You guys understand my feelings better than someone who doesn't have this problem.
    Gentlebev, forgive me if the name is wrong, my fibrofog is kicking in again

No, I haven;t had any side effects. I might have felt a little weird after the first couple of shots but after that nothing really. I forgot my scorew and will have to go look them up again. The dr. said severe and so it goes !!! I was surprised too but what can you do. You will do fine !!!

BTW, don't forget to take your calcium in staggared doses - like once in the morning, then afternoon and evening or something like that depending how stong they are.I think between 400-600 mg for each dosage. Or they will not be absorbed properly.. My doc didn't tell me that I was taking them all wrong. You also need to take about 1500 mg daily.

Please do keep in touch.

Blessings and 's,
    Marilyn

Old 05-11-2006, 08:27 PM   #10
    Granniluvs8
    (female)

Granniluvs8 HB User

Emptybonz,

Sorry I knew the name was wrong . Hope your brain is working better than mine.

It is late so good night !! Just had to tell you - sorry !

Toodles,

Marilyn

Old 05-11-2006, 09:45 PM   #11
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

SEmptybonx,
    Sorry to hear you have severe osteo. I did also before I was put on Forteo. The Forteo does work and I got improvement starting after the first 3 months. The shots aren't that scary although once in a while I bleed and get a small bruise. I'm glad your doctor went for the Forteo right away, I had to argue to get it. Keep in touch.

Old 05-12-2006, 08:04 AM   #12
    newbones
    (female)

newbones HB User

Emptybonz,
    I have not had any side effects in the year I've been on Forteo. Occasionally I have a red spot where I've injected the needle but it goes away after a few hours. A couple of times I've drawn a little blood and developed a bruise, but other than that no problems. As I said before the first week was hard and I was a basket case the first couple of times I had to inject myself, but I forged on and now it is a piece of cake!

Old 05-14-2006, 07:40 AM   #13
    Chelle2
    (female)

Chelle2 HB User

Hi . In 2003 I was diagnosed as -3.0 in my hip at the age of 42 WHILE I was perimenopausing. I was upset to hear this.

Since than, I have been on Actonel once a week and organic calcium citrate.I am usually pretty attentive to lifting weights. Last year at my two year exam, I improved to a 2.5 (up three levels).I guess my body agrees with the Actonel and I also stay away from any caffiene including tea and carbonated beverages which I never liked anyway.

I am an example of why women ought to get a bone density scan at least in their late 30s, regardless of how they feel-just go and find out. I also had a spontaneous tooth fracture right before I was diagnosed-although not too serious, but I had to go through a root canal and shell out a thousand dollars for the fees which my insurance didn't cover.

They are working wonders with this desease so be assured, there is a lot of hope.It's just getting the younger women to be aware, tested and practice prevention.

Best wishes to you !

Old 05-16-2006, 09:38 AM   #14
    meca
    (female)

meca HB User

Welcome Emptybonz, and sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I think we all know how scary the news is. I found out last August. My spine is -4.6 and hip was -3.4. I've been on Forteo for 3 months and have felt much better on it than I did on Actonel. Actually, I feel better than I have this whole past year probably due to exercising more. So keep your chin up and keep us posted. Wishing us all well with our therapies and results!!

Old 05-17-2006, 09:34 AM   #15
    naturalman
    (male)

naturalman HB User

Emptybonz,

I was diagnosed in 2001 with severe osteoporosis, and if you think your numbers were scary, my T scores for a man were lumbar average spine -5.2 and hip average -3.2. I had already had some compression fractures in my spine since I had loss more than 50% of bone mass. Forteo wasn't available then, so I was put on Fosamax and then Actonel. I also take alot of supplements to improve bone density. my current t scores are spine -4.3 and hip -2.7. For the five years, my spine increased 18.8%, but hip over the five years only amounted to a 1.8% increase, which is not significant. I'm currently 61 years old, so when I was first diagnosed I was 56. I'm doing everything I can to help my situation, and I'm reserving using Forteo as a last treatment option. I will be using low dose HGH injections, prescribed by my doctor to see if I can grow new bone. I need to give this treatment some time to grow new bone, but if after awhile it doesn't, I may turn to Forteo, or whatever may be new at the time. Even though you feel bad about your low scores, there is always someone lower than you, like myself and Meca who wrote you yesterday. Thing is, I haven't found anyone much lower than I, since most of the message board participants are in the mid -3 areas of t score. I found one person worse, who was at a -6 in his spine (a man), but was also in a wheelchair with multiple compression fractures. It seems that although men don't usually get this disease, those that do have it, have the most severe. I hope things go well for you on Forteo, and make sure you take sufficient supplements for bone growth. Have a good day.

Rob

Closed Thread