It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• Whole Body Vibration - Anyone have information or experience?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-20-2006, 06:38 AM   #1
    DTemple

DTemple HB User
    Whole Body Vibration - Anyone have information or experience?

Someone mentioned a whole body vibration machine because it is supposed to helop with bone density and I have been researching it online. It seems there are conflicting reports on whether or not it is safe or dangerous. I would like to try it for osteoporosis but am afraid because of some of the reports that talk about chronic back pain and other symptoms that are experienced by helicopter pilots and truck drivers who are exposed to long sessions of vibration. Does anyone here have experience with it, or know more about it's safety and usage for bone density?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2006, 08:27 AM   #2
    CrohnieToo
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CrohnieToo HB User
    Re: Whole Body Vibration - Anyone have information or experience?

Well, I don't think many, if any, of us are truck drivers. Usually only 10 minutes per day or just 3 x a week are recommended for this "vibration therapy". That's a whole lot less than what a truck driver encounters!!!!!

If you've had a compression fracture at any time I wouldn't even consider vibration therapy. Other than that, if it were available to me, or one of the vibration plates was reasonably priced for the average individual I would try it. I've been interested in this type of therapy for quite some time. Since first reading about the PowerPlate which is one of several of these type machines.

I suppose if I had really, really bad T and Z scores but still no compression fractures I might now want to try it either.

Old 05-21-2006, 05:13 AM   #3
    DTemple

DTemple HB User

Can you see a compression fracture in an xray? I am seeing a chiropractor right now for subluxations in my lumbar and cervical spine and my low back really hurts right now from the adjustments. I am interested in this therapy as well particulary when I read NASA used it for the astronauts. My t scores are both in the neg. 2.5 2.6 range, what are yours?

Old 05-22-2006, 09:35 AM   #4
    Aleta145
    (female)

Aleta145 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DTemple
    Can you see a compression fracture in an xray?
    Yes, a compression fracture is diagnosed by X-ray. The fracture can be seen as an overall collapse in height of the vertebra (like a pancake), or it can be seen on one side of the bone, resulting in what they call a wedge fracture. You can also have a vertebral assessment done as part of your DEXA, which measures the heights of your vertebrae and compares them with normal people's. This exposes you to much less radiation than an X-ray. They did that for my husband this last time and the results were encouraging, although one vertebra was definitely shorter than it should be. However, it's hard to say what it means since it's the first one he's had. Next year's test will show trend which I think is most important.

Current treatment: Evista Since Oct 2004

Closed Thread