It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• What is the best exercise for improving spine and hip density

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-27-2006, 12:59 PM   #1
    notcornell
    (female)

notcornell HB User
    What is the best exercise for improving spine and hip density

Hello All, I am wondering if you know what is the best exercises to do to improve spine and hip bone density.

What is interesting is that my wrists are strong and are normal. I believe it is from massaging my husband one hour daily for the last 20 years. Even though I pee out 430mg of calcium (more than normal of 100-250) daily, my body managed to put calcium into my arms. This proves that I need to do different exercise for different sites of my body. My strong arms and wrists are the evidence. When I was dx'ed, my osteo doctor told me any exercise will benefit the entire body so she did not give me any instructions as how to improve my spine and hips. I have a feeling that she probably thought it was beyond repair so just told me to do any exercise. I don't agree with her.

My daughter did some research and told me that one experiment was done where there were two groups of people, one group jumped as high as they could 10 times a day, 3 times per week while the other group did not do that. The result is that the group jumped gained 6% in 6weeks. So I have been doing that and jumping jack 20 times daily. And I hope to get some good advice from you too if you have any. Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2006, 01:31 PM   #2
    hypatia
    Inactive
    (female)

hypatia HB Userhypatia HB User
    Re: What is the best exercise for improving spine and hip density

I also saw that info and now jump too. Are you able to jump rope? I also do squats, which have provided much lower body strength and balance. Balance seems to be important in preventing falls later in life.

I was wondering if you double your intake of calcium to compensate for losing so much of it--or would that help? I didn't realize some of us eliminate so much in pee, and am going to ask dr. about that urine test--so thanks to those of you who reported on it.

Old 05-27-2006, 02:06 PM   #3
    peregrine
    Inactive

peregrine HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hypatia

I was wondering if you double your intake of calcium to compensate for losing so much of it--or would that help? I didn't realize some of us eliminate so much in pee, and am going to ask dr. about that urine test--so thanks to those of you who reported on it.
    People often think more is better, but excess calcium is associated with increased risk of fracture and bone loss, the same as too little.

Old 05-27-2006, 02:16 PM   #4
    notcornell
    (female)

notcornell HB User
    How calcium gets excreted from urine

Please don't jump with a real rope because you might trip and fall, use an imagery rope please.

This is how calcium is excreted from urine- you eat food with calcium or take calcium pills and your intestines absorb them into bloold stream and blood goes to kidney to be filtered, but in the process of filtering, my body lets the calcium along with other minerals go to the urine instead of soaking into the cells in the loops where blood has to travel through. I personally think that the calcium crystalize before it reaches to the loop and since crystals are bigger particals they are harder to be absorbed into the cells. Crystalization might be due to the ph levels too high or too low.

The more calcium I take, the more I pee out. What we pee out is 20% of total calcium we excrete everyday. The other 80% goes out from our bowel, We generally pass out what we take in each day.

Old 05-28-2006, 03:29 AM   #5
    peregrine
    Inactive

peregrine HB User

NotCornell,

The makers of Ezorb claim that unlike most calcium supplments, it is absorbed in the entire length of the small intestine, thus avoiding the urine spill.

Old 05-28-2006, 07:18 AM   #6
    CrohnieToo
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CrohnieToo HB User

NotCornell, has your doctor done the blood work for primary and secondary hyperparathyroidism? Have you discussed possible causes of "calcium spill"? Heck, you seem to know more than I do about all this. Peregrine seems to know the most or at least a lot about "natural" products to help.

Old 05-28-2006, 07:24 AM   #7
    CrohnieToo
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CrohnieToo HB User

NotCornell, have you checked to see if there is an Osteoporosis Physical Rehab program in our area? Our local hospital has a good one, U of M even sends some of their PTs here to learn from our PTs. I'm waiting now to enroll as soon as I finish my Pulmonary Rehab program. Once you finish the "first phase" that my insurance pays for, participants are given the option to continue on a self-pay which is just $25 a month. Plus you've learned exercisies, etc. you can do at home, dietary advice, etc.

Old 05-28-2006, 08:33 AM   #8
    notcornell
    (female)

notcornell HB User

Crohnie, thanks for your reply. My doctor did check the PTH and my number was 15 (normal is 14 to 72) I don't know about 'primary and secondary hyperparathyroidism' could you tell me the difference between them? Thanks in advance.

Old 05-28-2006, 09:07 AM   #9
    notcornell
    (female)

notcornell HB User
    Why taking calcium if osteoclasts are inhibited

Thanks for your reply. I will order Ezorb today and give it a try. But, I do have a question, that is if Actonel is to inhibit the osteoclasts then what is calcium for? This is my theory, if old bone needs to stay and what is the calcium going to replace? Do I make sense?

Old 05-28-2006, 10:31 AM   #10
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

I think it's because you need Calcium to grow new bones and also to replace lost Calcium due to a variety of medical conditions. Calcium doesn't stay in your system long term you need to continually (daily) be putting it into your body to use just like other supplements.

Old 05-28-2006, 02:02 PM   #11
    notcornell
    (female)

notcornell HB User

peregrine, thanks for telling me about Ezorb, I went to their site to read but I was not able to find that it can help not to spill into the urine. If it is not much trouble, could you let me know how to find such claim? By the way, I don't have problem absorb calcium in my intestines. See my serum calcium level is high that means my problem is really in the reabsorption in the kidneys loops. Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 05-29-2006, 03:44 AM   #12
    peregrine
    Inactive

peregrine HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by notcornell
    peregrine, thanks for telling me about Ezorb, I went to their site to read but I was not able to find that it can help not to spill into the urine. If it is not much trouble, could you let me know how to find such claim? By the way, I don't have problem absorb calcium in my intestines. See my serum calcium level is high that means my problem is really in the reabsorption in the kidneys loops. Thanks in advance for your help.
    NotCornell,

I certainly don't pretend to understand your problem. I only mentioned the Ezorb because it is claimed that the absorption happens the full length of the small intenstine. I, then, deduced that if it is being fully absorbed there (where most calcium supplements are not) that it wouldn't then spill out into the urine. I do not understand the reabsorption problem you have. It may well be that Ezorb will not help you either but you can call and discuss this with them. There is an 800# and the one time I called they returned my call immediately.

I wish you all the best and hope you can find something to address this problem.

Old 05-29-2006, 01:09 PM   #13
    notcornell
    (female)

notcornell HB User

Peregrine, thanks for your reply. I did write to Ezorb and they wrote back the next day and then we exchanged email 3 rounds.

I told them my problem and they said that I lost calcium from osteoclasts and concluded that that was the cause of my excess calcium in my urine. And as a result Ezorb will help because I 'have calcium definicy'. But, I don't agree with that.

I take calcium 3 times daily, and usually 1, 2 or 3 hours later, my urine is cloudy, other times, it is clear. So I believe that my cloudy urine is correlated with my intake of calcium but not from the destruction of my bones. See, if the calcium I pee out is from the bones then I should see cloudy pee all the time not only after I drink milk, eat cheese or taking the calcium pills.

Peregrine, I appreciate your help. You are very kind to offer us all of you know and take the time to explain. Thanks agian.

By the way, how is your most recent scan? Good or bad? I hope it is good.

Old 05-29-2006, 01:14 PM   #14
    notcornell
    (female)

notcornell HB User

Thanks for your reply. But, the Actonell I am taking is supposed to inhibit the osteoclasts so I would not have lost bone to be replaced. If I understand it correctly, if osteoclasts doesn' happen then osteoblasts won't happen. Am I correct? Please help me to understand this theory. Are you also taking Fosamax or Actonell?

Old 05-30-2006, 03:29 AM   #15
    peregrine
    Inactive

peregrine HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by notcornell
    By the way, how is your most recent scan? Good or bad? I hope it is good.
    notcornell,

The scan isn't until next week. I will let you know the results.

P.

Closed Thread