It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• T/Z Scores

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-16-2006, 07:05 AM   #1
    peregrine
    Inactive

peregrine HB User
    T/Z Scores

I think there have been discussions here about the T and Z scores. I know what they mean but wonder if there is one we should place more emphasis on than the other. The Z score, afterall, is more closely linked with our age. Any thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2006, 09:18 AM   #2
    CrohnieToo
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CrohnieToo HB User
    Re: T/Z Scores

Well, Peregrine, when this osteoporosis Dx was first laid on me and the meaning of the T-score and Z-scores explained to me it made more sense to me to rely on the Z-scores than the T-scores and I really had trouble accepting all the emphasis on the T-scores.

After a while I gave up fighting the tide and generally refer to my T-scores rather than my Z-scores. But I always keep a close eye on how well I am doing compared to other women my age (the Z-scores).

My reason for giving up was simply that it was to the pharmaceutical industry's and medical profession's best interest to find more and more of us "senior" ladies to be osteoporotic. So why get so excited about being as good or better than the worst of the worst?

But now, supposedly, our following generation also have worse bone density due to poorer diets, more carbonated beverages, less dairy, etc., etc., etc. so what's to get into too much of a **** over how much lower our bone density scores are than theirs? Our peak bone density supposedly was better than their peak bone density at the same age.

So, I'm satisifed if I see improvement over my previous DEXA results. In fact, given that I've yet to have two DEXAs done on the same machine at the same facility I had myself pretty much convinced I would be pleased if I just held my own between my two most recent DEXAS.

Old 06-16-2006, 09:25 AM   #3
    peregrine
    Inactive

peregrine HB User

Hi Chronie,

Yes, I tend to agree about the Z scores, so in that case, I would say that my bones are in pretty dang good shape!

Old 06-16-2006, 10:00 AM   #4
    CrohnieToo
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CrohnieToo HB User

Good for you, Peregrine! I'm afraid I can't say that. I've known about my osteoporosis since 1996 but really didn't elect to do anything about it until 2003.

However, after 10 months on Forteo I'm not at all displeased with my latest DEXA results. They weren't done on the same DEXA, but, this latest one was done on the newer, supposedly better digital DEXA scanner.

3/1/05 6/12/06
    Hip
    Neck -3.3 -3.3
    Troch -2.9 -2.8
    Inter -2.6 -2.0
    Total -3.0 -2.7
    Wards Tri -3.9 -3.8

Spine
    L1 -2.7 -2.2
    L2 -4.8 -3.1
    L3 -4.2 -3.9
    L4 -4.3 -3.2
    Total -4.1 -3.1

Remember, they were done on two different machines, so take that grain of salt!

Old 06-16-2006, 10:03 AM   #5
    CrohnieToo
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CrohnieToo HB User

You know what tho: I can't necessarily give Forteo all the credit. I've been on scripted 100,000 IU of vitamin D weekly (with quarterly blood draws to monitor) since 2004 or so too. Just no calcium supplementation.

Old 06-16-2006, 11:26 AM   #6
    peregrine
    Inactive

peregrine HB User

Crohnie,

Well your scores did go down and any decrease is a win, in my opinion. Why so much Vitamin D? I think I remember you having celiac disease. Maybe this is the reason?

Old 06-16-2006, 12:13 PM   #7
    Piano0105
    Veteran
    (female)

Piano0105 HB UserPiano0105 HB UserPiano0105 HB UserPiano0105 HB User

I personally feel it makes more sense to compare our bones to others of our own age group (Z-score). After all, nobody has the same bone density after menopause that they had when they were 30 years old (T-score). No other illness is diagnosed based on comparisons between much younger (in many cases more athletic) and much older individuals. I still think it's a hoax perpetrated by the pharmaceutical companies.

Old 06-16-2006, 12:41 PM   #8
    CrohnieToo
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CrohnieToo HB User

Close, Peregrine, close. I have Crohn's disease and a somewhat shortened ileum (by about 18") with a few more inches now also involved.

Ha! Piano, I wouldn't argue w/you at all regarding the interests of the pharmaceutical companies!!!!

Old 06-16-2006, 11:51 PM   #9
    idyb
    (female)

idyb HB User

Peregrine,
    Could you tell me how many Ezorb tablets you were taking a day? After losing bone density and slipping onto osteoporosis I took Ezorb for a year ( 4 tabs a day) and my next scan showed no improvement but stayed the same so that is improvement. Maybe I should up my dosage. I can't exercise due to a Lupus.

So happy for your results,
    Eileen

Old 06-17-2006, 02:49 AM   #10
    peregrine
    Inactive

peregrine HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by idyb
    Peregrine,
    Could you tell me how many Ezorb tablets you were taking a day? After losing bone density and slipping onto osteoporosis I took Ezorb for a year ( 4 tabs a day) and my next scan showed no improvement but stayed the same so that is improvement. Maybe I should up my dosage. I can't exercise due to a Lupus.

So happy for your results,
    Eileen
    Hi Eileen,

I just followed their recommendation: Right now I am on the maintenance dose - for my weight (under 160) that would be 4 capsules a day - 2 AM, 2 PM (occasionally I'll take 6 for a week.) If you take the powder that would be 1 tsp AM and PM. For the first 3 months start up I doubled the dose, as they suggested. I think I took 3 caps 3/X day and then for convenience switched to 4 caps 2/X day. Also, I did this for 4 months instead of 3 because I simply forgot to switch.

Since seeing my new results (looking at my Z score) I'm thinking I really don't have a problem afterall. I'll continue with the maintenance dose just for calcium supplementation but will no longer (occasionally) take more than this.

All the best to you Eileen.

Old 06-17-2006, 02:48 PM   #11
    CrohnieToo
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CrohnieToo HB User

On those Z-scores: my 2003 Z-score from Mayo for the spine was -1.3 and my left hip Z-score was -1.3.

My 2006 Z-scores were -1.4 for the spine and -1.5 for the left hip.

10 years ago, 1996, my Z-score was -1.3 for the spine and -2.1 for the hip.

So I evidently wasn't losing as fast these last 10 years as most of the ladies in my age group. Must be all that horseback riding, you think??

Last edited by CrohnieToo; 06-17-2006 at 03:58 PM.

Closed Thread