It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• Forteo - May Have Been Frozen-Unsure

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-12-2006, 08:21 AM   #1
    maggie21
    (female)

maggie21 HB User
    Forteo - May Have Been Frozen-Unsure

My 84 year old mother placed her first Forteo pen in the main part of the refrigerator (not the door). She later thought to measure the temperature. It appears that the temperature has been no higher than 34 degrees F. and possibly lower. In other words, there is at least a possibility that the Forteo was frozen or partially frozen even though the pen was not in the freezer.

What is the risk to my mother if the Forteo was frozen and she uses all of the possible injections (28) with that pen? Should she just throw the pen away? What happens to someone if they inject Forteo that was frozen at one time? In other words, just how dangerous is it to inject the Forteo if it was possibly frozen or partially frozen at one time?

Has anyone out there dealt with this issue? Thanks in advance for your responses.

Maggie21

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2006, 01:03 PM   #2
    CrohnieToo
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CrohnieToo HB User
    Re: Forteo - May Have Been Frozen-Unsure

The only ones that can answer your question responsibly is the Eli Lilly Co. You can call their 800 support number and put your question to them. If they concur about the possibility of the Forteo having been even partially frozen they most likely will replace the pen gratis. This is not a situation I would rely on my doctor to safely answer.

[Removed]

Last edited by HBMod07; 07-18-2006 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Do not post phone numbers to any business

Old 07-17-2006, 10:30 PM   #3
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
    Re: Forteo - May Have Been Frozen-Unsure

I agree contact the company. One time I thought my pen may have partially froze as the inside of the ice chest was 30 degrees. I didn't use the pen, returned it and they sent me a voucher for a new pen. The old pen was checked by their staff and determined to be safe and effective but I'm glad that I returned it just in case.

Closed Thread