It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• Fosamax & weight gain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-16-2006, 06:39 AM   #1
    katydid427
    (female)

katydid427 HB User
    Question Fosamax & weight gain

I have been taking Fosamax for 6 months and have gained 6 lbs. I have not changed my eating habits or exercise program. Has anyone else noticed a weight gain that diet and exercise cannot change? Is weight gain a side effect of taking Fosamax?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2006, 06:01 PM   #2
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
    Re: Fosamax & weight gain

Maybe your getting good results from the medication and are growing bone, and your bones are heavier so you weigh more. At my doctor app'ts they weight me as accurately as they can to figure out if I"m lighter from bone loss or heavier from bone growth. Or are you larger as in body fat? I haven't heard that weight gain is a side effect.

Old 08-30-2006, 07:40 AM   #3
    NY 1009
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User

I thought that once we lose bone it can't be replaced, but by taking the recommended therapy of medication, that it would STOP us from losing more bone therefore decreasing the chances of fractures up the road?

there is no cure for osteoporosis. we stop growing bone at around age 30. our bones stop growing then. from that point on, our bones begin the process of thining. not all people wind up getting osteoporosis but the surgeon general for the first time ever is warning people of the increase of it and how many people it effects and how debilitating and serious it can be once we get to the point of where the bone can fracture.

Linda

Old 02-25-2007, 01:38 PM   #4
    carrie22
    (female)

carrie22 HB User

I believe I am now able to pinpoint my weight gain to Fosomax - I have been losing weight steadily and close to my goal but all of a sudden have gain 2 pounds. That doesn't sound like much, but considering I just doubled my exercise time to accelerate a few more pounds loss, and have been sticking to my diet plan, I could not figure out why I would actually gain. I do not like the reports I'm hearing about Fosomax and am going to send my doctor a note that I want to go off of it. I have osteoporosis but also have had gum disease for many many years and am losing all of my teeth to it, so do not want any jaw problems.
    What are we to do? I'm just going to keep exercising and weight lifting and eating and taking calcium and hope for the best until they come up with something safer.

Old 02-25-2007, 05:50 PM   #5
    montesflus
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

montesflus HB Usermontesflus HB User

CARRIE22 :

Yes, if I were you I'd be wary of Fosamax. Have you considered Forteo? Maybe ask your doc if this might be an alternative to the Fosamax for you. I'm not on it myself, but there are many posters on this board who are, most seem to be having very good outcomes. I works in a different way to the biphosphonate drugs (Fosamax, Actonel, Boniva) - actually growing healthy NEW bone, instead of just adding a cover on the old bone - which is what Fosamax does. However, it does require a daily injection, and is extremely expensive (you'd have to check if your insurance covers it). According to what posters here have said, the injection itself seems to be quite easy. Tests are needed before starting on Forteo, so check with your doc again if he has not already suggested Forteo.

All the best .....

PS - some people have said that Forteo, too, can cause weight gain (but not everybody)!!

Old 02-25-2007, 08:09 PM   #6
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

Forteo works but the real problem with treatment is after the two years are finished. Some of the reasons people use Forteo is that they can't tolerate bisphosphonates and then there are very few alternatives when the Forteo treament is done.

Closed Thread