It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• forteo and rapid heartbeats

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-14-2006, 02:58 PM   #1
    trail
    (female)

trail HB User
    forteo and rapid heartbeats

I wondered if anyone has experienced rapid heartbeats(tachycardia) while on Forteo? I know that Lily has reported that sometimes within the first hour and up to as long as 4 hours people have reported these symptoms. They also claim that within 12 hours there is no evidence of Forteo in the body. I have been experiencing sporatic rapid heartbeats, sometimes they can happen several days in a row, and other times months go by without any incidents. When it happens, it is not after my injection, rather almost 24 hours later right before I am due for another shot. I am petite and don't know if it is affecting me differently than others, or staying in my system longer. I did contact Lily and told them what was happening to see if anyone else had reported this kind of incident and they said only right after the shot. I am in the process of having my heart checked out with a cardiologist and so far they can find no evidence of any heart disease which is good. I am following up with an endocronologist just to make sure there is nothing else going on that could cause this. I only have eight months left of my two years on Forteo, so before I choose to go back to my osteo doc and talk about maybe cutting the Forteo short I want to rule everything else out. Anybody out there have any ideas?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2006, 05:36 PM   #2
    DesertBloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User
    Re: forteo and rapid heartbeats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by trail
    I wondered if anyone has experienced rapid heartbeats(tachycardia) while on Forteo? I know that Lily has reported that sometimes within the first hour and up to as long as 4 hours people have reported these symptoms. They also claim that within 12 hours there is no evidence of Forteo in the body. I have been experiencing sporatic rapid heartbeats, sometimes they can happen several days in a row, and other times months go by without any incidents. When it happens, it is not after my injection, rather almost 24 hours later right before I am due for another shot. I am petite and don't know if it is affecting me differently than others, or staying in my system longer. I did contact Lily and told them what was happening to see if anyone else had reported this kind of incident and they said only right after the shot. I am in the process of having my heart checked out with a cardiologist and so far they can find no evidence of any heart disease which is good. I am following up with an endocronologist just to make sure there is nothing else going on that could cause this. I only have eight months left of my two years on Forteo, so before I choose to go back to my osteo doc and talk about maybe cutting the Forteo short I want to rule everything else out. Anybody out there have any ideas?
    Hi Trail: I would definitely have this checked out by your cardio, or whoever you think best, but imho, it doesn't sound like it's from the injection, based on how you explained it was occurring. From what I understand about the drug, you are right about how long it's in your system. Just remember, only you and your dr can decide what to do, so "any" advice you get from me or anyone other than your dr. is just an opinion, backed by very little facts because I don't know anything about your body, and I'm not a dr.

I had a similar situation with the injection, which happened about 3 times, but it was "right" after the injection and I also felt slightly dizzy, both are listed side effects. My situation, is that I have many heart problems that could cause this, so I could never say with certainty that the injection caused it, so I didn't stop taking Forteo. I had my Cardio check me out and everything was ok so I continued with the med. For me, Forteo has caused the least amount of side effects of any osteo med, so I really don't want to stop it unless I absolutely have to, but again "that's me". Osteo... scares me more than most of the side effects I've read about, but then there are others who have terrible reactions and need to take that into consideration because it's very important. I just haven't had "most" of the side effects that you hear about from bisphosphonates, except I did get the bone pain/stomach probs, which I hated but put up with because it went away so fast while I was on Actonel.

There are many things that can cause tachycardia, do you remember anything in particular happening around the time of the increased heart rate, like stress, fever, or exercise induced etc, the dr will probably ask you that?

Just wanted to tell you I had a similar, but much less frequent symptom, and what I did about it.

Good Luck, and "have" your dr look into it.

Last edited by DesertBloom; 09-14-2006 at 08:25 PM.

Closed Thread