It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• Anyone used nasal spray Miacalcin?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-11-2006, 06:02 AM   #1
    AliciaMae
    (female)

AliciaMae HB User
    Anyone used nasal spray Miacalcin?

I have recently started using the nasal spray miacalcin for my osteoporsis. I have taken fosamax and forteo. Due to the fact that I am only 26 years old, and plan to start trying for children in the next year or so, I needed to try somehting that is not so potent to my body. Does anyone know if it has shown anyone good results or used it themselves? I am very frusturated with my severe osteoporosis and would love any feedback.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2006, 08:10 AM   #2
    asti
    (female)

asti HB User
    Re: Anyone used nasal spray Miacalcin?

Responding to your post because I recently started taking Miacalcin myself (as of last month) and have great hopes for it, too. This may be a stupid question, but are you also cutting way, way down on soft drinks/sodas? There's been recent press about the adverse effects of them on bone density. If there were sound effects along with smilies for posting you'd hear the sound of me kicking myself for my diet coke intake.

I'm sorry you're experiencing this so young - how wonderful though that you learned in time about your bone density and are taking direct action to turn this around.

Old 10-14-2006, 02:31 PM   #3
    AliciaMae
    (female)

AliciaMae HB User

Thank you for your response, I too have high hopes for Miacalcin, I hope it works out well for you as well. I hear you about the diet coke! I did hear about the reports, but there is always somehting new that they talk about. My doctors have never had any concern or asked specifically on my intake. I guess its just something else that we shouldn't be doing. Have you had any sde effects from the spray? Best of luck to you!

Old 02-17-2007, 02:05 PM   #4
    not2old
    (female)

not2old HB User
    Smile Re: Anyone used nasal spray Miacalcin?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AliciaMae View Post
    I have recently started using the nasal spray miacalcin for my osteoporsis. I have taken fosamax and forteo. Due to the fact that I am only 26 years old, and plan to start trying for children in the next year or so, I needed to try somehting that is not so potent to my body. Does anyone know if it has shown anyone good results or used it themselves? I am very frusturated with my severe osteoporosis and would love any feedback.
    I am 72yrs and started Maicalcin about 4 months ago so it's still too early to know if it has been effective in stopping bone loss and/or forming new bone. I have colitis and am very selective when it comes to taking any meds by mouth. This spray goes directly to the blood stream and does not have any effect on the digestive system. I really like the way my doctor explained the purpose of Miacalcin. He said that calcium is the building block, vitamin D is the mortar and Miacalcin is the "worker". Makes sense to me.
    I take 600MG calcium with D twice daily and use the spray once daily.

I too, would like to hear feedback from someone who has more experience with Miacalcin and the results.

Old 02-18-2007, 03:15 PM   #5
    Eharri17
    (female)

Eharri17 HB User

Hi, I have been taking fortical which is the generic since last May. So far I love it and noticed a remarked difference in pain level. My old bones do not ache any more. I go in Nov for a bone denisity scan. I am very hopeful and I also do a lot of weight baring exercise plus I am taking 1500-1800 of calcium. Good luck to all of us. Since I can't take anything else.

Old 02-19-2007, 07:52 AM   #6
    not2old
    (female)

not2old HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Anyone used nasal spray Miacalcin?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eharri17 View Post
    Hi, I have been taking fortical which is the generic since last May. So far I love it and noticed a remarked difference in pain level. My old bones do not ache any more. I go in Nov for a bone denisity scan. I am very hopeful and I also do a lot of weight baring exercise plus I am taking 1500-1800 of calcium. Good luck to all of us. Since I can't take anything else.
    Actually I now take fortical since my insurance stopped paying for Miacalcin. The only difference I noticed is that the fortical burns my nostril when I spray whereas the Miacalcin did not.

I am so happy to hear from someone for whom the fortical is working! I haven't had a lot of pain, just the usual old bones aching when I first get up in the morning. Not a big problem.

Unfortunately I have not been able to exercise for three months. I had just started aerobic exercising when I got a detached retina and had to have a vitrectomy. This means no lifting, bending or exercise which speeds up my heart rate which could undo the retinal surgery. Right now my primary concern is saving my sight so exercise will have to wait until my doctor gives me the OK. And I can't wait! I have gained a few extra pounds sitting around doing next to nothing and want to get it off ASAP.

Thank you for your response and keep us posted. I would like to know how your bone density test turns out after using the fortical.

Old 02-19-2007, 01:08 PM   #7
    Misty800
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

My 90 year old mother used Miacalcin for a year or so and it did not work for her. However, at that stage her ribs were transparent.

Old 02-19-2007, 05:17 PM   #8
    Eharri17
    (female)

Eharri17 HB User

I haven't noticed any burning in my nose other then when the humidity is very low. Which isn't often where I live. I have been very lucky taking it. I just hope it works? Other wise I am out of options. But very luckily I have never had a broken bone other then a broken toe when I dropped a 100 pound cutting board on it when I was 18.

Old 02-21-2007, 09:28 AM   #9
    Lindasue7
    (female)

Lindasue7 HB User

Glad to see this post as I am trying this med [anymed for that matter] for the first time this week. I just wish there where more options on meds. I am 46 am have this young due to graves disease. Because of other health problems this seems to be my only option . wish there was more people on here who have had any results good or bad with this med.

Old 02-22-2007, 09:10 AM   #10
    naturalman
    (male)

naturalman HB User

Alicia,

Miacalcin nasal spray is considered the least successful drug on the market. Miacalcin was the very first drug developed in the early 90s for osteoporosis. After Miacalcin, Fosamax was developed, and at that time the premier drug for osteoporosis. Other bisphosponates have been developed since then, like Actonel and Boniva, but they are principally all of the same type of drug. The premier drug today is Forteo, which is only taken by injection (smalll needle), which actually grows new bone, where the other drugs only slowed down bone loss. Miacalcin has been known to help against bone pain, and the pain from fractures, but it doesn't have a good track record for significant increases in bone density. For many, this may be the only drug that can be used because the other drugs cause stomach problems, and Forteo has to be taken by injection and is very expensive. In the early years of my disease, I was taking Fosamax and Miacalcin, since Miacalcin helped with the bone pain resulting from the Fosamax. I'm currently on Forteo, and since it's not known if Miacalcin interfers with the Forteo, I've stopped taking the Miacalcin. The information I've provided can be researched, and is common knowledge by most doctors that treat osteoporosis. I hope that your use of this will help you, especially if you are taking the appropriate amount of supplements of calcium, magnesium and Vitamin D. Take care.

Rob

Closed Thread