It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• Strontium Citrate

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-08-2006, 10:41 PM   #1
    montesflus
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

montesflus HB Usermontesflus HB User
    Strontium Citrate

Does anyone out there know where one can purchase Strontium Citrate (or any Strontium, for that matter). I live in California and have tried to find it in health food stores and drug stores and speciality markets, but so far, NO LUCK!

TIA to all responders,

Irene

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2006, 07:23 AM   #2
    DesertBloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User
    Re: Strontium Citrate

Quote:
    Originally Posted by montesflus
    Does anyone out there know where one can purchase Strontium Citrate (or any Strontium, for that matter). I live in California and have tried to find it in health food stores and drug stores and speciality markets, but so far, NO LUCK!

TIA to all responders,

Irene
    You can get it online...

Old 11-09-2006, 08:10 AM   #3
    tomatojuice
    (female)

tomatojuice HB User

monteflus: You can find it in the certain health food stores. Look for strontium bonemaker - look for the one with 340mg capsules.

I take the strontium bonemaker, and I believe I actually order it from california.

Last edited by Administrator; 06-28-2011 at 04:58 PM.

Old 11-09-2006, 08:25 AM   #4
    hypatia
    Inactive
    (female)

hypatia HB Userhypatia HB User

When you get a DEXA, do you have to mention to the technician or your dr. that you are taking strontium? And can you take it if you are already taking a bisphonphonate?

Old 11-09-2006, 08:36 AM   #5
    tomatojuice
    (female)

tomatojuice HB User

hi hypatia: Yes, there is a strontium DEXA scan connection and if you are taking strontium the person reading your DeXA scan needs to know thatso they can make the appropriate adjustments in reading your DEXA. There is aprintout available on the net, just go to strontium DEXA scan adjustments. This is very convenient, you can ppresent it to the person reading your scan. I dont know if you can take strontioum and also a biosphosphate.

Old 11-09-2006, 10:16 AM   #6
    hypatia
    Inactive
    (female)

hypatia HB Userhypatia HB User

Thanks TJ--I have a dr. appt. Fri. and will ask her opinion (but sometimes these doctors are unwilling to even discuss other options)....Patty

Old 11-09-2006, 06:31 PM   #7
    montesflus
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tomatojuice:

Thanks for your reply (and all replies). I HAD thought that I probably COULD order it online (just I normally don't buy stuff online, only because I'm rather paranoid about putting credit card nos in my computer) I'll just continue to check out the health food and specialty stores in my area until I (hopefully) find some.

Thanks a lot,

Irene

Old 11-09-2006, 06:59 PM   #8
    DesertBloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by montesflus
    tomatojuice:

Thanks for your reply (and all replies). I HAD thought that I probably COULD order it online (just I normally don't buy stuff online, only because I'm rather paranoid about putting credit card nos in my computer) I'll just continue to check out the health food and specialty stores in my area until I (hopefully) find some.

Thanks a lot,

Irene
    Hi: I don't know if you have this option with your bank or credit card co. but I can buy things with a virtual c.c. where the number changes with each purchase making it impossible for someone to get the card # because it's never the same.

Old 11-09-2006, 07:13 PM   #9
    montesflus
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tomatejuice:

I forgot to ask you this. Does Strontium work on the ''osteoclasts'' in the same fashion as Fosamax or Actonel do? Also, has your bone density improved since taking Strontium? How long have you taken it for, and must you take it forever, together with your other supplements?

Irene

Old 11-09-2006, 07:44 PM   #10
    tulsatime
    (female)

tulsatime HB User

Hi Irene,
    Our strontium citrate is mailed out of San Mateo, California. A good vitamin can help osteoporosis. We are taking magnesium and d3 and I am looking into trace minerals due to the soils depletion of vital nutrients due to big box agriculture methods.

Old 11-09-2006, 08:29 PM   #11
    tomatojuice
    (female)

tomatojuice HB User

hi Irene: Strontium does not work the same on the osteoclasts as the antiresorptives such as fosomax and actonel. Strontium benefits bone in two ways: reducing the resorption of bone by osteoclasts(literally bone eating cells) and by increasing formation of bone by osteoblasts (bone-forming cells). The increase in bone mineral density observed in clinical trials of antiresorptive drugs(such as fosomax and actonel) is the result of a more complete secondary mineralization of the existing(but reduced) bone tissue mass. Restoration of bone tissue mass and bone structure is not achieved with antiresorptive drugs.Strontium prevents bone loss, increases bone mass, and bone strength. I have been taking it for a little over two months. There are virtually no side effects. I think if you have any kidney problems you are cautionedabout taking it. I do not take it along with my other supplements, as you are advised to take at bedtime, at least 3 hours after eating. You are also advised definately not to take it at the same time as you take calcium. Also you have to make sure you get enough calcium during the day. I try for at least 1500mg of calcium between food and supplements.

Old 11-09-2006, 08:50 PM   #12
    tomatojuice
    (female)

tomatojuice HB User

Hi again Irene: I just wanted to reply to your other question- I do not know yet if my bones have improved since taking strontium. I probably will not be able to have another dexa scan until maybe march of 2008. Of course I am hoping for great results, but we'll see. I will definately post on here the results. I have read that the progress results for fosomax and actonel are usually not seen for two or three years. And I think from what I have read about Strontium, it could also take two or three years. But, the idea of building strong bones, as opposed to brittle bones appeals to me. And to be quite honest, I,m scared to death of taking a drug that has so many apparent side effects. (like fosomax and actonel).

Old 11-09-2006, 11:40 PM   #13
    montesflus
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

desertbloom:

Yes, I do have the option of the ''virtual'' cc no. However, when I last checked, I STILL had to put in my ORIGINAL cc no. just to get started, unless that's changed (but I don't think so). Sorry if I sound paranoid (but I am)

Thx,

Irene

Old 11-10-2006, 12:09 AM   #14
    montesflus
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

TOMATOJUICE:

I like what you explained about the Strontium. I'd rather have ''STRONG'' bones than the kind of so called dense, yet dead, brittle, kind of bone that attaches just to the outer surface of the bone, produced by Fosomax & Co.!! Hopefully, I'll find in some store or other soon.

Irene

Old 11-10-2006, 12:13 AM   #15
    montesflus
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

DESERTBLOOM:

I was just wondering if you couldn't take Strontium, as an alternative to the other stuff, when you finish your Forteo treatment. Maybe Strontium, together with the calcium, magnesium, vit d and the rest of the supps, might work for you. TomatoJuice and others in this forum seem to have a lot of good things to say about it. Just a thought ....

Closed Thread