It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• Ballon Kyphoplasty for 88 yr. old

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-26-2006, 01:18 PM   #1
    Leeinboston
    (male)

Leeinboston HB User
    Question Ballon Kyphoplasty for 88 yr. old

My mother suffered a vertebral compression fracture a month ago. Since then she has been in hospital (one week) and rehab (three weeks). She is in a great deal of pain (both back and abdomen), and ortho surgeon recommends Kyphoplasty.

Any comments on this? I also want to mention that the doctor appears quite young, and I asked him how many times he had performed this procedure. Answer: about 30. Is this enough? .....

Thanks.

Leeinboston

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-26-2006, 03:01 PM   #2
    DesertBloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User
    Re: Ballon Kyphoplasty for 88 yr. old

Hi: I know quite a few people who have had this procedure, and all had great results from it. As you probably know it is a minimally invasive procedure that is usually done under local anesthesia. The thing that stands out in my friends experiences was that they got almost immediate pain relief from the procedure, and were able to walk, sit, and stretch shortly after the surgery. Of course there are probably exceptions to this based on severity/location of the fracture, age, etc. but I have not heard any stories yet where it didn't work well. If you are worried about the doctors experience you can contact Kyphon and ask if the doctor is recommended. In your area Kyphon lists 9 orthos that do this procedure. Check the link below our posts, provided by HealthBoards, which should give you a lot of info on all aspects of this procedure and doctors that perform it near you.

Wish your mom luck and let us know how it goes or what you two decide.

Old 12-27-2006, 11:34 AM   #3
    naturalman
    (male)

naturalman HB User

The only thing that I heard from some older persons that had the Kyphoplasty done is that after 6mos to a year, the hardness of the cement caused the vertebras above and below the cemented one to start breaking. The bone cement that they use is not flexible and if the vertebras surrounding that area are also less dense and somewhat weak, they will start to fracture as well. Given these experiences from some of the people on the message board, I would ask your surgeon if this is more likely to happen with an 88 year old women. I'm not sure what the alternatives are, but maybe prolotherapy may help in this situation where the other bones are fragile. Prolotherapy are injections that help build new ligament tissue around the bone affected to help stablize the joint. I just think that 88 years old may be too hard on her----see what your doctor has to say.

Rob

Old 12-27-2006, 12:48 PM   #4
    DesertBloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi Naturalman: I'm glad you brought this point up, because so far everyone I know that has had this procedure is under 65. But I'm wondering if age is the sole problem. I've had 7 spinal fusions and 6 of them fractured causing stenosis and other problems above and below each level fused. I was told that when you do a bone fusion with hardware the same thing happens that you mentioned. If I ever have to have this procedure done I'll need to find out about the cement effects on the weakening of the spine and vertebrae. I'm not sure I could live with the pain of a fracture so who knows what might happen. Thanks for the info.

Last edited by DesertBloom; 12-27-2006 at 12:50 PM.

Old 01-09-2007, 12:26 PM   #5
    DesertBloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi LeeInBoston: Since we never heard anymore from you, I wondered how your mother is doing? Did she ever decide to have the kyphoplasty, and if so did it help her???

I hope she found a solution to this problem, and wondered if you could let me know, if you don't mind?

Old 04-25-2008, 05:37 PM   #6
    Katherine17
    (female)

Katherine17 HB User

I am also looking for some information--experience from anyone who has had kyphoplasty. I'm 58 with a compression fracture at T11-12. I have osteoporosis and I also have what they consider mild scoliosis, though it caused problems for me after back surgery many years ago. One of my concerns is the cement they use and what will happen to it after 10 years or more. I am also concerned about other fractures, especially because of the sciolosis if that area is stiff. I'd be glad for any comments or information.

Closed Thread