It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• Once-a-year Shot For Osteoporosis New

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-04-2007, 08:14 AM   #1
    wildflowers
    (female)

wildflowers HB User
    Once-a-year Shot For Osteoporosis New

An experimental treatment for bone-thinning osteoporosis appears to prevent spine and hip fractures even though it is given only once a year, eliminating the need for a strict daily pill regimen, preliminary data show.

Reclast, given as an annual, 15-minute infusion, reduced risk of new spine fractures by 70 percent and of hip fractures by 40 percent, according to data supplied by maker Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp. The drug, chemically known as zoledronic acid, also reduced the risk of fractures elsewhere, according to a just-completed, international study of 7,736 postmenopausal women with osteoporosis.

Side effects were generally minor and short-lived, said Novartis, of East Hanover, N.J.

The data, from final-stage human testing, was presented Saturday at the annual meeting of the American Society of Bone and Mineral Research in Philadelphia.

"This is very good news," said Dr. Ethel Siris (SEYE' riss), president of the National Osteoporosis Foundation and director of the Osteoporosis Center at Columbia University.

I just read this information and was wondering if anyone else had heard about this new experimental drug, it certainly gives alot of hope, also verifies how competitive the drug companies are in finding new ways to combat osteoporosis. I now understand when I read some of the postings that comment on waiting for a new breakthrough. Many of you probably already know about this but this was my first time reading about it. Once a year injection sounds to good to be true. blessings to all wildflowers

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2007, 10:20 AM   #2
    PikaB
    (male)

PikaB HB User
    Re: Once-a-year Shot For Osteoporosis New

Those results are certainly encouraging.

The bad news: zoledronic acid is a bisphosphonate, so it may cause the same problems as the other bisphosphonates.

Old 03-04-2007, 11:24 AM   #3
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

I'm being offered once a year IV infusion of Boniva (bisphosphonate) and this sounds about like about the same thing only by injection. The scary part is imagining getting a year's worth of medication and if side effects do occur your stuck, can't get that much medication out of your system for a year and then there's the half life effect.

Last edited by taape; 03-04-2007 at 11:25 AM.

Old 03-04-2007, 03:41 PM   #4
    wildflowers
    (female)

wildflowers HB User

Hi again, I certainly do not want anything to do whatsoever with bisphosphonates, and I certainly do not want medication that would stay( time released) in my body for a year. Oh! my goodness what if you really did have a side effect.
    I hear so much about half life, what does that mean exactly? I am in the early stages of getting processed to use forteo. I am waiting for approval from my insurance company.
    How long would forteo stay in my system? I do believe I am coming down with a case of new medication jitters.
    I am starting physical therapy tomorrow, on my consult it reads modalities as needed, therapeutic exercises and general conditioning, special back programs, back school and body mechanics, back protection. My concern is I hope they go easy on me initially, I have been treated for rotator cuff tear and I also have osteoarthritis, any suggestions to watch out for.
    I know as time goes by I will get more comfortable with the unpredictable instead of the predictable , " this too will pass."
    Spring is just around the corner and I see evidence of new beginnings and hope everywhere, my favorite time of the year. There is not a thing better on this planet then the fragrance of my lilac bush and the abundance of blossoms. Thank you my friends wildflowers

Old 03-04-2007, 04:38 PM   #5
    DesertBloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wildflowers View Post
    Hi again, I certainly do not want anything to do whatsoever with bisphosphonates, and I certainly do not want medication that would stay( time released) in my body for a year. Oh! my goodness what if you really did have a side effect.
    I hear so much about half life, what does that mean exactly? I am in the early stages of getting processed to use forteo. I am waiting for approval from my insurance company.
    How long would forteo stay in my system? I do believe I am coming down with a case of new medication jitters.
    I am starting physical therapy tomorrow, on my consult it reads modalities as needed, therapeutic exercises and general conditioning, special back programs, back school and body mechanics, back protection. My concern is I hope they go easy on me initially, I have been treated for rotator cuff tear and I also have osteoarthritis, any suggestions to watch out for.
    I know as time goes by I will get more comfortable with the unpredictable instead of the predictable , " this too will pass."
    Spring is just around the corner and I see evidence of new beginnings and hope everywhere, my favorite time of the year. There is not a thing better on this planet then the fragrance of my lilac bush and the abundance of blossoms. Thank you my friends wildflowers
    Hi: Forteo doesn't stay in your system for more than 1-3 hours, or less and is totally excreted by your kidneys, which is why you have to have daily injections. Don't forget that you paratyroids produce this as well constantly when you stop forteo, and while taking it, since it is a natural essential body mechanisim. Half life is the amount of time it stays in your body, with forteo is very short, and your parathyroids continue to make it anyway since it is a hormone, which we really need.

Good Luck

Old 03-04-2007, 05:09 PM   #6
    PikaB
    (male)

PikaB HB User
    Re: Half-Lifes

I think I posted this a while back, but here goes again. Some of the bisphosphonates have a short half-life (just because it is effective for a long time does not mean that the drug, in its original form, stays in your system that long):
    Bisphosphonate Estimated Half Life
    A partial list
    Boniva = 4.6-15.3 hrs for IV 2mg after 2 hrs (IV and Oral)
    Boniva = 5 - 25.5 hrs for IV 4mg after 2 hrs (IV and Oral)
    Bonefos = 13 hrs for IV (IV and Oral)
    Aredia = 28 +/- hrs (IV and Oral)
    Zometa = 146 hrs (IV)
    Actonel = 480 hrs (Oral)
    Fosamax = 10 years (Oral)

Zometa is zoledronic acid.

As you can see, the only bisphosphonate with a truly horrendous half life is Fosamax.

Old 03-04-2007, 07:11 PM   #7
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

PikaB,
    Thank you for posting the half life information. So, if a yearly dose only has a half life of up to a maximum of 25 hours I wonder how this is a year's dose of medications. Does it sit in the bones for only up to 25 hours? Some posters here said that they had lasting bone pain from some of those medications so it must interact with the body some how. I'd sure like to understand this better. By the way, I was given Fosamax to begin with and one 7 day dose made me immediately sick so switched to Forteo.

Last edited by taape; 03-04-2007 at 07:13 PM.

Old 03-05-2007, 02:14 PM   #8
    wildflowers
    (female)

wildflowers HB User

Thank you for the information regarding half life.
    I went to physical therapy today and the majority of the exercises and information for osteoporosis is "back protection.' It really gave me alot of food for thought in regards to body mechanics and everyday living with osteoporosis. I never knew how everyday chores effect the total body alignment, making a few adjustments here and there helps keep the body pain and stress free. I have been a down and dirty gardener, really get into the soil and shovel, dig, mulch, transplant, the whole works, it's a wonder I didn't break my back much earlier. Now, I can still garden but only in a different way using my brains instead of my brawn. It really was refreshing to learn new and different ways of doing things. I suppose as I have gotten older I wondered if you could teach a ole' dog some new tricks and I found out you could. I initially was not to happy to find out I had osteoporosis, however its amazing how my other senses etc. kicked in, especially the survival one, it jump started other parts of my body. It made me more aware of just how strong and durable my body has been over the years that I shouldn't give up on it nowl blessings! wildflowers

Old 03-06-2007, 05:29 AM   #9
    phylwill1152
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

Hi wildflowwers, can you share some of the good gardening tips you learned from the physical therapist? Did you check into the garden rocker i told you about? I'm going to be putting mine to use soon, can't wait to get outside and play.

You've come along way since you were dx. isn't time and acceptance a wonderful thing. there's no stopping you now.. take care...phyllis

Old 03-06-2007, 09:27 AM   #10
    wildflowers
    (female)

wildflowers HB User

Hi Phyllis, I am holding the picture of the garden rocker in my hands and quess what phyllis? mother's day is coming up soon and guess what I want for mommy's day. Before I just would enjoy whatever the children and grandchildren would get for me, now I make a list, and on that list is the garden rocker. I am so excited about getting the rocker, the color is seafoam green from the pictures, doesn't that sound very earthy, that rocker is exactly what my physical therapist told me to use. Phyllis I have always always used my back when doing mulch, transplanting etc. and I would bend at the waist more often than not. Donna my P.T. told me that I didn't have to stop my gardening just because I have osteoporosis She said folks get so frightened at the thought of breaking something that a defense system kicks in with our muscles and tendons. We automatically hold ourself tight not realizing that these muscles and tendons are connected to our precious delicate bones, therefore while doing our gardening we are holding ourself tight and then can start a muscle spasm. This sound so true for me Phyllis, I hold my body tight and get into a protection mode and end up causing myself pain. When I was diagnosed several years back with a rotator cuff tear, I immediately went into a protection mode and ended up with p.t. for frozen shoulder. It was because I had a fear of hurting myself, this was all subconscious. Now, I get it, relax, be aware, remind yourself. I have always said phyllis that no one would drown if they didn't know how to swim, the problem is they think about it, they would naturally swim, our body knows what to do. Look at the little babies that swim, they don't think about it, no fear, and away they go. Doggone it I get so mad at myself when I forget just how smart my body really is and I forget from time to time. .
    There are muscles in the back that we gardeners use can be made stronger. They are very simple to do each day. The exercise has to do with pinching your shoulder blades together. I would be glad to tell you more detail if you want to know phyllis, perhaps you are already doing it.
    The best info was keep the back straight as possible, not bending from the waist, use those wonderful legs, if that is not a option, use a garden rocker, no stress on the back whatsoever. I can lift, keep the weight low and lift close to my body. She was a sweetie pie, her mom has osteoporosis and so does her grandma, she is 50 and has alot of empathy, that's what I was looking for. She know I love gardening and will not give it up. I will see her two times a week, so if you have any added questions please let me know and I will ask her when I see her. o.k. When I can get my hands out in the soil I feel so wonderful. Our bodies are made of the same elements found in healthy soil and seawater, so it is nothing short of a homecoming when we touch the earth. Gardens are great teachers, not in words but in gently or stunning lessons. They teach faith and miracles, knowledge and wisom, hope and alot of sweat. They are also very cheap psychiatrists. Gardening is an act of love, you can easily fall in love with the earth. Love means work, it is a lifelong commitment, since we are temporary and the earth is permanent. blessings wildflowers p.s. as you can tell phyllis I don't know when to stop when gardening is the subject

Old 03-06-2007, 01:18 PM   #11
    phylwill1152
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

Thank you for the note. You have so much wisdom to share and i'm not just talking about body movement. Any tips you want to share i'll be glad to listen to and so would evryone here. I guess i skipped the part where the body dense mode kicks in and a person becomes scared of the "what could happen scenerio". When i was dx i decided right off the bat i wasn't going to let it alter my life and don't except for thinking before i try something stupid. And thats something a person should do regardless of the conditon of their bones...hahaha.

I lift weight several times a week and have done back exercise where you squeeze the shoulder blades together. Did she say anything about clasping your hands behind your back, squeezing and and holding that positon for a while? I don't know if that has a name or does anything, but it feels good. I do that when i feel tension between my shoulders. I know you shouldn't bend from the waist, so does she mean for you to bend at the hips, keeping your back flat? Does to hinge forward, rather than bend in the middle sound right? I worked as an nurses aid many, many moons ago and learned good body mechanics then. I try to use what i learned in daily life, but its good to be reminded.

The garden rocker i have is dark green...you may be surpirsed when you see it. I've always been an on the ground type too so using the rocker will be an adjustment, we'll just have to get used to moving it along rather than crawling along. Just think, knees will stay cleaner . I bet your gardens are beautiful, you speak so loving of them that they surely must reflect that care. take care...phyllis

Old 03-07-2007, 06:11 AM   #12
    wildflowers
    (female)

wildflowers HB User

Hi phyllis, these are the back and shoulder stretches -
    maintain a erect posture, draw shoulders back while bringing elbows back and inward ( pinching shoulder blades)

shoulder roll - roll shoulder forward, up and back, then down to complete a circle.

The W (shoulder blade pinch )
    Place arms in a W position, keep shoulders relaxed, not hiked up, bring elbows back, pinching shoulder blades together, hold position for 1-2-3 count. Relax

Gardening - Shoveling
    Push from end of handle shifting body weight from back leg to front. Keep knees bent and awoid twisting your back.

Gardening - Raking
    Move close to area to be raked. Use arm movements to do the work. Keep back straight and avoid twisting

Gardening - Digging
    Insert tool vertically into soil and step on blade, then lift out small amounts and I emphasize small amounts, no pressure on back.

Gardening - stool or chair
    The very best for planting your flowers and mainting your garden

I went to my cardiologist yesterday to get cleared for using forteo, I haven't heard from my insurance company CAREMARK to see if I have been approved, I called and they said it was pending. The odd thing is that I already have received the needles in the mail. I really did need to know if there was a co-pay and how much. and so it goes...................
    Here in Ohio it is snowy and cold, however, they did say 40's and maybe a high 50 next week. yipee! Yahooey!

P.T. lady also said to get my computer at eye level, muscles in the neck etc.
    have a great day and have visions of tulips, daffodils and all those beautiful spring flowers. the chickadees in the yard are already singing "spring is here" "spring is here" so just around the corner. blessings!!! wildflowers

Old 03-07-2007, 04:45 PM   #13
    DesertBloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User

WildFlowers: Hi I was just wondering if you found out about the forteo coverage yet? Does Caremark send you a formulary each year, stating which drugs they cover? If so you could look up the copay in that. Also, I would think you could call your local pharmacy and ask them to run a price check on it, to see what the copay is, and if your policy covers it.

I get my forteo from Caremark, but they are only a distributor of it for me, because my insurance is through Humana, but they use Caremark to ship it.

Hopefully you've already heard something, but I would try those other things if you want to find out sooner, and you don't know yet. I also can't imagine why they would send the needles if they weren't going to cover it, but I also realize the copay price is really important, so you'll know what it will cost.

Did your cardiologist think there would be any problems with you taking it?

Good Luck...

Old 03-07-2007, 06:29 PM   #14
    wildflowers
    (female)

wildflowers HB User

Thank you Desert Bloom, I did not even consider those options, I will get on it the first thing in the morning. When I called the specialty pharmacy at Caremark, they were waiting for further info from my doctor. I mentioned to the customer service rep. that I had received the needles but was afraid I was going to get three pens of forteo by mail. The reason I was concerned, included with the invoice with the needles. it also mentioned I was going to receive three pens of forteo, I thought I would receive just one each month. This seemed strange to me and I told her that I didn't want to receive forteo before I knew if I could afford it. Desert Bloom since you mentioned several things I could do sooner, I am going to look up my prescription coverage on the pamplet they gave us, and also contact my pharmacy. They mention that dizziness and leg cramps and fast heartbeat is a side effect, they forgot to mention the side effect happens before you ever inject yourself with forteo. i why? because of the red tape and concern with the expense before you even get it. I must admit I am taking this in all good stride, you don't get to 68 years old without a little bumps in the road at times.

My cardiologist said no problem whatsoever with taking forteo, he was very supportive and informative, he told me it was a good choice, and from what I gather, reading between the lines, comparing a race horse to a work horse. I gather forteo is the race horse, there certainly isn't a thing the matter with work horses, however, I want to make the finish line, I don't care if it's by a nose, that much difference is important to me and also considering the money involved, I want it to work.
    I started the P.T. exercises and I do believe I went a smidget overboard with them, my muscles really ached today, but after a cold compress everything was back to normal again. blessings wildflowers

Closed Thread