It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• Help with understanding T & Z Scores

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-08-2007, 01:17 PM   #1
    playagirl
    (female)

playagirl HB User
    Help with understanding T & Z Scores

Hi,

Had a BMD in 8/05 and have osteo and osteopinia tried Actonel and it took five weeks to get my stomach back to normal. I took myself off of it. Last week I went for my second BMD and got a copy of my scores. My doctor wants me to go on Forteo.

Could someone please tell me how bad my scores are. I have to take some blood work to determine if my body needs more d and calcium. I am thinking about telling him that I might want to try natural route for a year first. I am very confused about what to do and stressed also.

AP Lumbar Spine - BMD - L1 through L4 is 0.823 g/cm2
    T Score is 2.0
    Z Score is 1.2

Femoral Neck - BMD - 0.548 g/cm2
    T Score 2.7
    Z Score 1.9

Total Hip - BMD - 0.718 g/cm2
    T Score 1.8
    Z Score 1.3

Thanks for your help.

Anne

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2007, 01:23 PM   #2
    trail
    (female)

trail HB User
    Re: Help with understanding T & Z Scores

Anne
    Did you leave the - off the scores? If they are all in the positive range like they are in your post you wouldn't have osteo or osteopenia. I think you meant to have a negative sign in front of your scores. Let us know so we can help you understand them.
    Trail

Old 03-08-2007, 01:54 PM   #3
    playagirl
    (female)

playagirl HB User

Yes I did, there is a minus in front of every T and Z score.

Thank you, Anne

Old 03-08-2007, 03:37 PM   #4
    DesertBloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User

Hi: According to your scores your femoral neck is the only area with osteoporosis and the other areas are osteopenic. How long did you take the Actonel? Did you have a situation where it bothered your stomach and you stopped it shortly after starting it or did you take it for some time before you stopped? I wouldn't worry too much about your score, but I would also suggest doing something to prevent it from getting worse. The reason I ask, is if the Actonel was taken for years, and you didn't get any improvment, then I can see why they would suggest Forteo. Only you can decide if you want to go the natural route, and not take Forteo. The only thing I will mention is that a lot of people taking Forteo have had good results with it; some have side effects, but the majority don't. Forteo actually produces new bone, where Actonel, Fosamax etc are bisphosphonates that slow bone loss.

Below is an excellent explanation on T and Z scores and also on many aspects of osteopenia and osteoporosis. The link takes you to the WHO scores, but I really recommend reading the whole series, from the University of WA because it explains so many things in easy to follow language; scroll to the top of the page after reading the scores explanation and go through the bulleted list. It will take a while to read it all, but it's worth it. Remember that osteopenia means bone loss, which just about all of us have, and we all need to slow it down, and osteoporosis is a bone disease that is treatable.

[url]http://courses.washington.***/bonephys/opbmd.html#WHO[/url]

If you want some more info on Forteo you can read the testing below, and there's plenty of info on the natural route which I'm sure you can find. I'm taking Forteo with no side effects, and so far it's helping me. I took Actonel for a little over a year and it didn't help me any, plus I had too many stomach and bone pain problems. Forteo is man made Parathyroid hormone which is a replicate of the hormone our Parathyroid gland makes to regulate the calcium and phosphate production in our systems which in turn regulates bone metabolism. Also read PikaB's fantastic gains from taking forteo which is at the thread below, plus other posters good info.

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=474686[/url]

Forteo link studies below:

[url]http://pi.lilly.com/us/forteo-pi.pdf[/url]

Good Luck and if you need any more help just ask .

Last edited by DesertBloom; 03-08-2007 at 05:37 PM.

Closed Thread