It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• After Forteo doctor's visit

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-07-2007, 07:54 AM   #16
    trail
    (female)

trail HB User
    Re: After Forteo doctor's visit

Chronie too
    What is Protelos? The only non-bisphophonate drug that I am aware of coming soon is Denosumab and I think it is an injection. I heard that it will be approved late this year(2007). Also, is your dr. saying that it is okay to stay on Forteo after the 2 years? There has been much discussion on this board and it seems that the docs are saying no right now. There are many of us finishing Forteo in the next 6 months or so and are trying to make some decisions about what to do next. I don't want to go the bisphosphonate route either.
    Trail

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2007, 06:07 PM   #17
    spinewhine
    (female)

spinewhine HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CrohnieToo View Post
    My two years on Forteo is up in August. My Endo has already suggested that if my results are as good this year's DEXA as last year's we might want to consider staying on Forteo.

Since I will NOT do the oral bisphosphonates .... I'm wondering what the status of Protelos is in the US?

Chronie, it's great to "hear your voice." I was wondering where you'd gone. Welcome back, and I'm so glad to hear that you're doing well on Forteo. Sorry, I know nothing about Protelos.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:22 PM   #18
    DesertBloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User

Hi Trail: Sorry for jumping in here, but I noticed you didn't get an answer to your question, so I thought I would give it a shot.

Protelos is Strontium Ranelate which is not available in the US. I really don't know if it will be approved here, but another co, is working on Strontium Malonate, for release here. The only difference I can see so far between the two is Protelos is in a powder form and Strontium Malonate is a pill. I'm sure there are other differences, since one uses ranelate and the other malonate, but that's all I know.

At this point it's hard to say if SM will be approved by the FDA since it's in Stage II trials. In the US there is the OTC version of strontium (citrate), but you'll have to decide on this for yourself since I have no experience with it, there are others here taking the citrate, so maybe they could help you with that.

Good Luck...

Closed Thread