It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• question about actonel

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-09-2007, 05:23 AM   #1
    annmg
    (female)

annmg HB User
    question about actonel

I've been on actonel for 1 month now, and my hip joints hurt. It's not stopping me from doing any of my exercises..mostly walking 2-3 miles daily. I'm just wondering if anyone out there knows if this joint pain goes away in time. I'm hoping this does, cause this is the only side effect I'm having. I did research on the other medication out there and it seems like this is the best one. I'd appreciate your help. thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2007, 07:34 AM   #2
    yef
    (female)

yef HB User
    Re: question about actonel

I am not sure about actonel, but I can tell you that my experience with BOTH Boniva and Fosamax was joint pain. I felt as though I aged over 20 years in a very short time period (hey, I thought this medication was supposed to HELP you and not age you ) I believe that all three medications (Actonel, Boniva and Fosamax) are under the classification of Biophosphonates and one of the side effects can be joint pain. I decided, due to the long half-life of Fosamax to discontinue this medication since I was experiencing side effects. For right now, I am not on any medication. I am contemplating going on Actonel, although I am not sure since both other medications had side effects for me. Does anyone know how long Actonel remains in your system? I am very interested in hearing how others respond to this question too.

Old 05-09-2007, 10:28 AM   #3
    glowing4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

glowing4 HB User

You can read what other patients are experiencing with any drug at askapatient.com. It is a very good site, easy to use, and many patients write in concerning a drug - pro and con.

From what I have read, Actonel, Fosamax, etc. stay in your stystem for 10 years!

glowing4

Old 05-09-2007, 11:14 AM   #4
    annmg
    (female)

annmg HB User

Thanks for sharing that site with me. It is very interesting. I quess everyone reacts different to the actonel. My only side effect in hip joint pain. (I'm 56 and very active) On a scale from 1-10 ...10 being the worst...mine is about a 4. I'm hoping that this will go away in due time. My doctor said to try it for another month and see what happens. Hopefully the pain will go away. I have heard actonel is one of the best out there. Not sure how true that is. I hate to try another because I could possibly have different side effects that are worse than what I have. Thanks for that web site, I appreciate it..

Old 05-09-2007, 12:32 PM   #5
    DesertBloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User

Hi: Proctor and Gambel say's that the half life of Actonel is 480 hours; I personally don't know the answer, or if that statement is accurate, but that is what they state in their clinical studies. Merck claims that Fosamax is around 10+ years. What we don't know for sure, is if the testing used by each company was the same to determine half life.

Last edited by DesertBloom; 05-09-2007 at 02:06 PM.

Old 05-09-2007, 12:56 PM   #6
    newbones
    (female)

newbones HB User

annmg,
    Sorry to hear that you are having joint pain. I have just started back on Actonel after the two years on Forteo. I had taken Actonel previously for a year before starting Forteo and fortunately had no problems with it, so I am hoping it will be the same this time.

Everything I have read and heard about the half-life of Actonel agrees with what DesertBloom has said.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:14 PM   #7
    annmg
    (female)

annmg HB User

If you don't mind me asking what does half life mean? This is all new to me since I only found out a month ago that osteopenia. Thanks again for everyone's help..

Old 05-09-2007, 02:33 PM   #8
    DesertBloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User

Hi annmg: The amount of time that it takes to eliminate or metabolize 1/2 of the drug or substance you're referring to.

Last edited by DesertBloom; 05-09-2007 at 02:34 PM.

Old 05-09-2007, 04:07 PM   #9
    spinewhine
    (female)

spinewhine HB User

My doctor put me on Actonel (after 2 years on Forteo). He said it was the best of the bisphosphonates and that it had a shorter half life. So far, I haven't had side effects, but I've only taken it 6 times.

Old 05-09-2007, 04:09 PM   #10
    spinewhine
    (female)

spinewhine HB User

I had some twinges in my hips when I was on Forteo. The doctor acknowledged that it could have come from the drug. I think he said something about bone growth. Maybe we actually feel something from the bone that's growing. Of course, I got very little gains in my hips, so I guess there wasn't all that much growing going on there.

Old 05-09-2007, 04:18 PM   #11
    greentree
    (female)

greentree HB User

I took Actonel for about 8 months and had some joint pain for the first month or two. It did go away but I also ended up with blurry vision in one eye and a burning pain in my stomach so I stopped the Actonel. I'm going to ask my doctor about strontium when I go for my next visit.

Old 06-19-2007, 04:48 AM   #12
    annmg
    (female)

annmg HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by annmg View Post
    I've been on actonel for 1 month now, and my hip joints hurt. It's not stopping me from doing any of my exercises..mostly walking 2-3 miles daily. I'm just wondering if anyone out there knows if this joint pain goes away in time. I'm hoping this does, cause this is the only side effect I'm having. I did research on the other medication out there and it seems like this is the best one. I'd appreciate your help. thanks
    This is a follow up on my original question about joint pain that I had in my hips when I started taking Actonel. Well...I'm in my 10th week of taking Actonel, and my hip pain went away. I'm so thankful for that!! When I read on this board all the side effects that everyone has, I'm really grateful that mine went away. When I first starting taking Actonel and this pain appeared, I thought I would stick it out for a few more weeks, and I'm glad I did.

Does anyone know how often you get a "Bone Density Test?. Someone told me every 2 years...it that right? That seems long to me. I "HATE taking medicine, and hopefully with taking Actonel, exercise, and vitamins, eating healthy, will get me off this medicine quickly. I'm also wondering how long anyone out there has been on Actonel or a drug like that? Thanks for all your help and support. This message board is great, since I know no one who has osteopenia who can help me like this board can..Thanks

Old 06-20-2007, 08:54 AM   #13
    sc400
    (female)

sc400 HB User

Hi everyone this is my first time here. I have osteopenia and I have tried almost every drug to slow this down but nothing is helping, my internist just took me off the actenol last week, I was having the heartburn side effect, been on it for about 4 months. My internist mentioned an IV infusion, just wondering if anyone knows what this is and are there bad side effects?

Last edited by sc400; 06-20-2007 at 09:53 AM. Reason: typos

Old 07-09-2007, 09:06 AM   #14
    paxton99
    (female)

paxton99 HB User

to bad you had to go through all that pain too, I was on actonel too. the pain started right after I took the first pill, in the afternon my neck got sore, with the 2nd. the same thing only a litte more pain. the 3d. pill all my joints and wrists were so sore I couldn't pick up anything. I went off actonel and now after about 2 months later Im feeling "nomal" again. no more pills for me, paxton.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:43 PM   #15
    Mel52
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

I will NEVER take actonel again. I was able to deal with the bone pain (I never believed in bone pain until then) and the headaches. The cough at night was kind of annoying but 3 months into taking the drug, I developed chills and incredible pain in my back and side. I was awake all night and finally ended up going to ER. 9 hours later they found nothing. I searched on some opinion boards and found many other people experienced what I did. I now am doing the nasal spray Fortical. It isn't the first choice by doctors but I need to take something and so far no problems.

Closed Thread