It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• Osteoporosis/osteopenia, anyone not taking anything for it?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-28-2007, 02:11 PM   #1
    jodianne
    (female)

jodianne HB User
    Osteoporosis/osteopenia, anyone not taking anything for it?

I have osteoporosis in my left hip, osteopenia in my lower back. After
    reading about all the drugs and their side effects and esp after reading
    "The Myth of Osteoporosis", I'm trying decide whether to just continue with
    my Vit D, calcium, Boron which I started 2 mos ago, and take my chances. Has anyone decided the same and what were the results? I have a very
    sensitive stomach so I know I can't take Fosamax or Boniva, don't like what I hear about Forteo (only been researched for a short time and can only be used for 2 yrs). My alternative dr suggested Ipriflavone, that requires monitoring the white blood count because it could be affected. This has me so upset, just can't decide what to do. Any input??
    Jodianne

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2007, 02:19 PM   #2
    glowing4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

glowing4 HB User
    Re: Osteoporosis/osteopenia, anyone not taking anything for it?

Yes, I decided a long time ago not to take the drugs. After much research I decided I did not like the side effects, nor did I like what the drugs do. That is build a plastic like substance around old bone and stopping the natural process of the body which is replacing old bone with new. I also did not like the fact that many scientists and medical researchers are saying that in ten years after being on these drugs that the bones might actually be more brittle due to what I stated above. I will take my chances with my body doing what it is supposed to be doing.

What I have done is take strontium. So far all research is good and I like the fact that it has been written up in the "New England Journal of Medicine". I also do weight training and walk.

After a severe bout of kidney stones I am even stopping the calcium supplements. You can read about that on other postings on this board, but I do not want to repeat this experience and the urologist said - stop the supplements now!

I am not saying what is right for me is right for anyone else, but I do believe that women need to research ALL material, not just what is popular for the day and make educated, informed decisions for themselves. It is vital to our health care.

Most of all, try not to worry too much. I do believe "The Myth of Osteoporosis" and I do believe what many researchers are saying today. They just don't get the "air time" for rather obvious reasons.

glowing4

Old 05-28-2007, 02:33 PM   #3
    Turquoise
    (female)

Turquoise HB User

Jodianne:
    There are probably lots of us on the board who do not take prescription drugs. Fosamax did not work for me and I am leary of the Forteo. The best advice I can give you right now is...don't panic. You have time to research and decide what will be best for you.

I got kidney stones from the calcuim, too, but I took mega doses (1500 units a day plus dietary calcium). Now I do dietary and only 500 mg of calcium citrate plus drink lots of fluids. I also take 50000 units of vitamin D which was rx'd by my endo.

I'm just not going to worry about it anymore since I haven't had any Fx's or other problems related to the osteoporosis. You have to find a routine comfortable for you and your medical history.

Good luck.
    Turquoise

Old 05-28-2007, 02:53 PM   #4
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

I'm not currently using medication since my 2 years on Forteo was up. I have stomach problems and can't use the bisphosphonates unless by IV Infusion and refuse to do that. I have some dental problems and have to be able to go to the dentist. I'm going to try and see if I can get into the Open Access part of the Patch PTH clinical trial or some other medication that I can tolerate comes along. Unfortunately, the Forteo worked great but after I stopped I'm worse off than before.

Old 05-28-2007, 04:05 PM   #5
    greentree
    (female)

greentree HB User

I stopped taking Actonel after it caused burning pain in my stomach. I don't take calcium supplements but do try to get calcium with my diet. I also take magnesium, walk, go to Curves and need to get back to strength training. Both my father and his mother obviously had osteoporosis (neither was ever tested for it since they were around quite a long time ago) and they never took medication and neither one of them ever had a fracture. My dad lived to 87 and my grandmother to 91.

Old 05-28-2007, 06:14 PM   #6
    tomatojuice
    (female)

tomatojuice HB User

hi, I am among the many on here who have decided not to take drugs. I was diagnosed over a year ago with osteoporosis. About eight months ago I started taking calcium and vit D, and also started walking and weight lifting. So far I feel great, better actually than when I was first diagnosed. Also I started taking strontium . So far no fractures. It was a little difficult at first to get into the exersicing, but now I just love it. It has enriched my life. I don't take a lot of calcium-only 500mg daily. Try to get the rest from diet- yogurt and brocoli, molasses etc. At first I was very upset with the diagnose, now I don't really think much about anymore.Just live life-try to eat healthy-extra calcium-limit coffee and cola. My grandmother had osteo-lived to 86 without any fractures. I don't remember her ever mentioning any pain.

Old 05-28-2007, 06:29 PM   #7
    yef
    (female)

yef HB User

Hi There:

Like the other postings, I too, have decided not to take medications. The more research I am doing, the happier I am in my decision to discontinue the biosphosphonates that I was on (although, I have yet to inform my doctor)

Since diagnosed with a kidney stone (and I am certain that the increase in my calcium did it), I now take a "normal" amount of Calcium CITRATE (with D3 + Magnesium), do weight bearing exercises, eat right, keep a good weight, and drink lots and lots of water.

Don't know what the future holds in store for me, but I do know from the adverse reactions I had to Boniva and Fosamax, I am much better off without the medications and going at it the "natural" way.

Old 05-28-2007, 06:37 PM   #8
    tulsatime
    (female)

tulsatime HB User

Jodianne,
    I was diagnosed with osteopenia about 6 years ago. The physician put me on actonel which caused great pain in my feet. Due to the pain I quit taking actonel.

Subsequently, I had always suspected that my mother had osteoporosis because of her breaking bones and a humped upper back. Well, she was diagnosed with severe osteoporosis about 2 years ago. The physicians wanted her to try forteo...but after research and her subsequent recovery from breast cancer, she decided she did not want to go on forteo...the biggest reasons were because it is NOT A CURE and may have some cancer promoting qualities. I began to research medical journals, medical researchers - such as Aubrey Blumsohn, medical Web sites, and books.

My mother broke a rib by sitting on a counter at an elementary school party 2 years ago...just sitting and it cracked. Long story short she started taking strontium and has made a remarkable recovery...she has not had a dexa (dexa's are unreliable) but, she can now do the things she used to do without breaking a bone. 8+) She has raked quite a few leaves this spring and she is so happy not to be afraid. Mom has refused to take any calcium other than dietary calcium. She believes that she was close to getting another kidney stone again. The natural route is working wonderfully so far...she has her vit D, magnesium, and takes her strontium before bed.

Old 05-28-2007, 07:28 PM   #9
    snowflake11
    (female)

snowflake11 HB User

to all you Gals taking strontium - could you please tell me what kind, how much you take, and where you order it from? thanks. i've read a little about it and some of the sites scare me, others encourage me. is it safe? what time of day do you take it?

Old 05-28-2007, 08:31 PM   #10
    glowing4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

glowing4 HB User

Make sure you are reading about the right strontium. There are two kinds. One comes from the earth and can cause cancer so if that is what you are reading it is wrong. So, don't be scared. Look up strontium citrate to research the correct kind. There are many web sites where you can purchase it. Just make sure that you are using a
    reputable and safe company. I pay a little more for the security of knowing my product comes from a safe place. I don't think we are allowed to post web sites on here.
    Sorry.

It is nice to see that so many people answered you with very positive and good things to say. The biggest thing is to listen to what everyone is saying and don't be scared. We all understand how you feel because we have felt it too, but give yourself time to gain perspective and you will feel much better about your choices and your health.

glowing4

Old 05-29-2007, 08:38 AM   #11
    snowflake11
    (female)

snowflake11 HB User

thanks glowing. how much do you take? how do you take it?

Old 05-29-2007, 10:36 AM   #12
    glowing4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

glowing4 HB User

I usually take 2 before bedtime. With my recent kidney stone problems (unrelated to strontium) I have not taken it for a month as I am so much other medication, but will resume it soon. You do not want to take it with calcium, meaning at the same time. So, if you are taking calcium take that during the day and the strontium at night. The two tend to counter each other and the calcium wins out thus you don't get the full effect of the strontium. It is best also to take it several hours after eating your last meal and not with food. Sometimes I will get mild heartburn, but that is because I take it and then lie down. Just try to sit up for a little bit. This is not a usual side effect though so don't worry about that - it is not like the heartburn that comes from Fosamax, Actonel, etc. I think it is just a mild reaction with me. Take it with water.

Hope this helps and let me/us know if you have more questions.

glowing4

Old 05-29-2007, 05:58 PM   #13
    phylwill1152
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

Hi snowflake11...I'm another one taking strontium. The dose is 2 340 mg. capsules a day for osteo. I take mine at bedtime well separarted from daily calcium and a few hours after eating most of the time. The best thing about strontium is that it helps builds real bone. There are several brands Dr. Best, NSI (which i take) and AOR. There are probably others but those are the ones i'm familiar with. I don't think any of us have been able to find it in stores, its ordered online.

When dx i took actenol for 2 months before deciding it wasn't for me. I developed very dry gritty eyes, which i'd never had before. I didn't want to take a drug with so many potential side effects for something that may or may not happen. Had i been more educated at the time i would have never started it. Like many others I read The Myth of Ospteoprosis which helped ease my mind and put it into perspective.

I also take calcium supplements, extra magnesium, an omega complex and multivitamin for women over 50. I walk 3-4 miles most days, weight train, eat a healthy diet and am going to start a water aerobics class soon. I live my life as i always have...now i just try to be careful and not do stupid things that could result in injury. Guess that could apply to everyone...not only those with osteo. Good luck on your jouney..after the newness of the dx wears off you'll be fine. Like anything else it takes time to adjust to changes in your life. take care...phyllis

Old 05-30-2007, 04:12 PM   #14
    snowflake11
    (female)

snowflake11 HB User

hey thanks everyone - much appreciated. i'll mull strontium over.

Old 05-31-2007, 10:17 AM   #15
    jodianne
    (female)

jodianne HB User

Hi, Glowing4, Turquoise, Taape, Greentree, Montesflus, Tomatojuice, Yef, Tulsatime, Snowflake11, Phylwill1152,
    I am the one who started this thread and then was not able to get back
    to answer all until now.
    Wow!, Thanks to all of you for your responses. You all have made me feel better. I do suffer from anxiety(which is enough to deal with) and then having myself all upset about this diagnosis and what to do has not helped. I really appreciate the input.
    I know I can't take Fosamax, Actonel, Boniva due to stomach issues. Strontium--I am not familiar with. Fortea concerns me as I have enough dental issues and what do you do after your 2 yrs are up.
    My alternative doc has me on calcium 500 mg, plus my dietary calcium, 2000 mg of Vit D, Vit K, Seriphos which has calcium, mag, and
    phosphorus in it. Also wants me to take Boron and has suggested Ipriflavone
    in place of Fosamax or the others, but still not sure I will do that as the side
    effect is a low white blood count for some people, although he said he would be monitoring that. It will help the osteopenia in my back, but not the
    osteoporosis in the my hip, but then---do any of them help the osteoporosis
    or just the osteopenia.
    Thanks again to all of you for your comforting words and your input. I will
    research the Strontium, don't know anything about that.
    Jodianne

Closed Thread