It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• Parathyroid, Thyroid, High Calcium, Low d

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-23-2007, 05:50 AM   #1
    Ruskingirl
    (female)

Ruskingirl HB User
    Parathyroid, Thyroid, High Calcium, Low d

I am totally confused...I have a nodule on left side of thyroid, diagnosed with Hoshi's, hyperparathroidism, elevated calcium levels (11.9), pth level high (159) low vit d (not sure of the numbers) and osteopenia. ( Starting to have more and more bad days...no energy (can hardly climb the steps), continuous pain, can't think straight, depressed, very very thin hair, dry skin etc...

Endo is sending me to a surgeon and recommended having parathyroid gland and a part of my thyroid removed. I am willing to do anything to feel better. But after reading a lot of posts I am beginning to think that maybe surgery isn't the answer.

Help!!!!

Last edited by Ruskingirl; 06-23-2007 at 02:46 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2007, 10:32 AM   #2
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User
    Re: Parathyroid, Thyroid, High Calcium, Low d

Ruskingirl -Hi! I am glad to see that you decided to post your situation over here. Did you read the hyperparathyroid posts below started by Lewis? I hope some of those who went through the surgery will respond to you. I am on my way out , I hope those in the know on this topic will get to you soon.

Also, while you are waiting for a response, you might want to do a search on parathyroid and you will find the site of Dr. Norman. The information is in plain english. Lewis who started the thread below went to Dr. Norman for surgery. I don't have any idea if Dr. Norman is a good surgeon or not. His site is very interesting though.

I'll check in on you later.

Old 06-23-2007, 12:21 PM   #3
    Ruskingirl
    (female)

Ruskingirl HB User

Thanks Osteo, Dr. Norman's site was very informative but it didn't give any clear indication that parathyroid problems and thryroid problems can be a part of the same overall problem. I will keep looking and researching to see if there is a common thread.

Old 06-23-2007, 01:35 PM   #4
    Lewis68
    (male)

Lewis68 HB User

Hello Ruskingirl,

I don't believe your Parathyroid and Thyroid problems are releated. However if you have the surgery done by an experienced surgeon, he will remove the Thyroid nodule and bad Parathyroid gland(s) at the same time.

Dr. Norman is a very experienced Parathyroid surgeon. I'd say the best. He performs Minimally Invasive Radioguided Parathyroid Surgery (MIRP) on ALL his patients, unlike some other surgons. If you can afford the trip, I'd recommend going to Tampa. If not, it's VERY IMPORTANT to find an experienced surgeon near you who performs MIRP.

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT have this surgery done by someone who can not, or will not perform MIRP Surgery for whatever reason.

You can Email Dr Norman directly from his website and ask him questions. He will usually respond in a day or two. From your post you sound like a classic case, and should feel much better after MIRP surgery.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited by Lewis68; 06-23-2007 at 01:46 PM.

Old 06-23-2007, 02:44 PM   #5
    Ruskingirl
    (female)

Ruskingirl HB User

I see the surgeon July 24th. It was quite hard to get in to see him. My Endo says he is experienced with the MIRP but I am not sure how many he has actually done. I believe he would like to do a FNA on the nodule before he does any surgery. Thanks for the advice.

Old 06-23-2007, 09:11 PM   #6
    montesflus
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

montesflus HB Usermontesflus HB User

RUSKINGIRL :

Sorry to hear about your various medical probs. Hopefully the posters on these boards can help you out somewhat. They've been a lot of help to me. You mention that your hair has become very thin. Do you think this is due to the probs you mentioned in your post, or could it be low estrogen hormone?

All. the best,

Montesflus

Old 06-23-2007, 09:57 PM   #7
    DesertBloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User

Hi Monteflus: Sorry to jump in here, but have you been tested for your hormone levels and has it come back low? I asked because you ask me about the thinning hair as well when I mentioned that happened to me. I'm extremely estrogen deficient, and my PTH is normal, but my hair has become extremely thin. I know that estrogen replacement can help with the hair situation, but with all the other worries (cancer etc) it has become taboo with most drs.

Ruskingirl: Good luck with your surgical appt, I hope they find out what's going on with your thyroid and parathyroid. It sure sounds like you have all the symptoms of hyperpara and hyperthyroid. I'm glad you're seeing someone who does the MIRP surgery, "if" you need to have that done.

I'm seeing a new Endo at a Univ hospital where they also do the MIRP, but I have no clue if that surgery would be necessary for me since I don't have the symptoms/labs you do, only slightly elevated Ca. It's nice to know, that if I ever had to have surgery at least they do the minimally invasive one, but like you I have no idea how many they've done. All I know is that this hospital is used by people from all over the world so it's concievable that they may do a large number of these surgeries, but I really don't know for sure.

I hope you find out what the cause is, and I would agree that it sounds like you have two different problems thyroid/parathyroid, but the other thing is these two glands can share similar problems. Have you had any specific PTH mediated tests? And if so how were the results?

Good luck and let us know how it goes...

Old 06-24-2007, 12:48 AM   #8
    montesflus
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

DESERTBLOOM :

No, I haven't had my hormone levels tested - I'll probably ask for a test soon. I always assumed that post-menopausal womens' estrogen levels dropped anyway, although in my case (after I stopped HRT cold turkey after those scary clinical tests suggesting heart desease, etc), they probably plummeted I wish my OBGYN had suggested coming off them gradually, but nooooooooooo - and I'm rather upset with her about that, too

I've noticed my hair has been shedding, and not only that, but also the texture seems to have changed, too I don't colour my hair, nor do I blow dry after shampooing.

Maybe I should see a dermatologist? or perhaps an OBGYN. Or maybe it's just part of the aging process

Thx for your input, I really appreciate your help - or anybody else's who might be familiar with hair shedding .......

Last edited by montesflus; 06-24-2007 at 12:51 AM.

Old 06-24-2007, 12:58 AM   #9
    paprbkrtr
    (female)

paprbkrtr HB User

You should seriously consider seeing a dermatologist for your hair. My hair was doing that and I went to a dermatologist. I forgot what he said it was, but I went through a series of injections on my scalp for 3 months and now my hair has returned to it's thick, shiny self. Very healthy hair now.

The injections were with tiny little needles and didn't hurt.

I wish I could be more specific, but it's been several years ago that this happened.

Good luck!

Old 06-24-2007, 01:42 AM   #10
    montesflus
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

PAPRBKRTR:

Thanks for your input. I must say that your info was very interesting. The last time I saw a dermatologist I think he suggested Rogaine (which I honestly didn't fancy trying, I've got long hair and it's so hard trying to get it onto the scalp, not to mention the itching)

I KNOW this is rather off-subject, being as most of the posts here are osteoporosis related (but there might be a connection with that, too). Do you happen to remember what the substance was that was injected into your scalp? I've checked hair related issues on these boards, but I don't remember seeing anyone mention scalp injections.

I'll probably have to wait a month or so to get an appointment (I'm a Kaiser
    Permanente member), but I'll call Monday morning to set it up.

Thanks so much

Old 06-24-2007, 01:54 AM   #11
    montesflus
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

PAPRBKRTR :

I forgot to ask you something in my previous post. You say your hair grew back thick and healthy after the scalp injections. Did they promote any ''unwanted'' hair growth in other areas of your body? Yes, I know you said that the injections were into the scalp, but could they have had an effect on hair growth in areas where you probably wouldn't want to have hair growth?

Anyway, I'll definitely ask the dermatologist all this stuff. I'm only hoping he/she will know what I'm talking about when I bring up the subject of the scalp injections

I'll post back after my appointment, and thx again.

Montsflus

Last edited by montesflus; 06-24-2007 at 01:55 AM.

Old 06-24-2007, 12:43 PM   #12
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User

Ruskingirl-I hope you have found some help and support here. Please let us know how your appt. goes .

Old 06-25-2007, 05:32 AM   #13
    Ruskingirl
    (female)

Ruskingirl HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by osteoblast View Post
    Ruskingirl-I hope you have found some help and support here. Please let us know how your appt. goes .
    Osteo-I am learning a lot more through all of you on this board than with the dr. I am wondering if I should call the office and ask them which labs have been done and what the numbers are. I have had a quite a bit of blood drawn and have only been told about the ones that they have been concerned about. It's funny but my son is disabled and I am on top of his medical and educational needs, always wanting to know everything, but with me I feel I shouldn't ask too much. I quess I don't want to bother them (especially when you hear the office workers complain about other patients ). I know my Endocrinologist is one of the top ones in the area.

I will keep you up to date on what is happening.

Old 06-25-2007, 10:50 AM   #14
    Lewis68
    (male)

Lewis68 HB User

Ruskingirl, thinning hair IS a sign of Hyperparathyroidism. Look on Dr. Norman's website under symptoms. I would wait a few months after your surgery to see if you need a dermatologist. I doubt you will.

I'm glad to hear your surgeon does MIRP surgery. Good luck with your surgery, and keep us posted.

Old 06-25-2007, 05:49 PM   #15
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User

Ruskingirl-I know what you mean about intensely focusing on your son and lightly focusing on yourself. I did the same with a loved one for years. As they say , however, taking care of yourself is a way of taking care of your child.

You need to get all your labs and post what you want. I am sure when you do post some numbers there will be people who respond. You should have each and every one of your lab reports. Although sometimes it is frightening , you need to look at the numbers and understand . There have been people on this board who were told incorrect lab results by the docs office and didn't know till they got their copy of the lab report. Mistakes happen. Also sometimes they don't mention high or low numbers in range- just if out of range. It's important to see the trend and know if you are on the edge.

I am glad your endocrinologist is considered one of the top in the area. His assistants should not be talking about other patients though. Forget the assistants and do what you need to do to take care of yourself!

Closed Thread