It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• Biking good for osteoporosis??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-10-2007, 09:08 AM   #1
    jodianne
    (female)

jodianne HB User
    Biking good for osteoporosis??

Just wondering if anyone knows if biking is good for osteoporosis. I just
    bought a Schwinn Aerodyne bike. I know it's good for exercising muscles,
    but is it considered a weight exer??
    Jodianne

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2007, 11:49 AM   #2
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User
    Re: Biking good for osteoporosis??

Biking good for osteoporosis, good for weight bearing? In a word NO. I have looked at this before and the evidence is overwhelming as far as loading you bones is concerned. I don't have the time to put sources on now, but will have time later this week or week end. Search the net on biking and bone density and you will see that bikers, incl. world class- olympic bikers have low bone density issues at the hip. It's amazing. If you don't have osteoporosis and just want super bone strengthening along with aerobic , the research shows you want jumping and running sports. I think that basketball players do best on this ,but I will have to look at the research again. I hope there is a good discussion on this topic.

Last edited by osteoblast; 07-10-2007 at 11:50 AM.

Old 07-10-2007, 05:32 PM   #3
    jodianne
    (female)

jodianne HB User

Thanks osteoblast for replying.
    I know that jumping, aerobics etc would all be good, but I am unable to
    do a lot of things due to a back problem. I do walk, I do the unipedal
    standing, do leg exercises etc but never heard anyone say anything about
    biking in regard to pro or con. So thanks for any info you might have and
    I will do further chking on the net.
    Jodianne

Old 07-10-2007, 05:45 PM   #4
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

I guess bicycling isn't considered weight bearing but I wonder about when bicyclists are standing up on the pedals as they do they are pushing down. Maybe it's not the same as total weight bearing.

I have a major back problem and I can't run or jump. All I can do is walk. Since lifting weights is supposedly good for the arms and shoulders in relation to bone density. What about using leg weights and doing exercises if you can't actually run or walk. Just a thought.

Old 07-10-2007, 07:33 PM   #5
    jodianne
    (female)

jodianne HB User

Hi Taape,
    Thanks for replying. I guess my thought on the biking (Aerodyne stationary
    bike) is that you are pushing the pedals, also this one has the handlebars
    that move back and forth so you are pushing and pulling. I do walk as I
    mentioned. I also lift wts for wrists, arms and shoulders, do leg exers for
    yrs already but actually did not even think of putting wts on my legs when
    I do the exers. Guess I always err on the side of caution due to my back
    problem and now a knee problem, but I will add the wts and see how I do.
    Thanks for your input.
    I'm having a tough time dealing with all this. Still haven't decided what to
    take for the osteoporosis. Can't take the biophosphatates due to stomach
    issues. Forteo, concerned about the osteosarcoma and the fact that
    you can only use it for 2 yrs, then what. Dr. gave me Fortical nose spray but 2 hrs after I used it, I felt flushing, and my breathing did not feel right.
    This was upsetting to me as this was one more thing I probably can't take.
    So--------right now I am taking a break and just trying to calm myself!

Thanks again for your input.
    Jodianne

Old 07-10-2007, 07:41 PM   #6
    DesertBloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User

Hi Jodianne: When ever you consider purchasing new exercise equipment, you have to ask yourself if you have any injuries, or physical limitations that would prevent you from using it. It's best if you can try out what you want to buy before hand, that way you won't end up with a lot of equipment you can't use, like I have.

Typically biking isn't considered a good weight bearing exercise, so find something that is. I wouldn't give up on the bike since you already bought it, you can still get a work out on it, especially if you ride up and down hills. It's a good workout for your heart, lungs and legs, so just add some bone exercise to it. You don't want to give up on something you like, just to do what your bones need. You want to incorporate things you like to do (biking) and add to that. Otherwise you'll find very quickly that you'll stop doing the exercises you don't like, and maybe all the rest, because you get frustrated. Just add bone loading exercises to the biking, and you'll be fine.

It's hard when you are limited to certain types of exercises due to a disability and then you're told that what you want to try might not help, it will help, but not necessarily target your bones.

I understand you back problems because I have them as well, and most of the things that are recommended for me, from people who aren't aware of my limitations, are always things I absolutely can't do. So you need to be the judge of what "you" can do since you are the only one who knows that. I know if I tried to do any jumping I would probably end up with worse probs leading to paralysis. My spine is so weak, jumping would absolutely destroy it, so be careful. I really think that jumping would only be beneficial if the person doing it has had no major trauma or injuries and has been doing it all their lives. I know they recommend jumping for kids to help build strong bones at that age, and for the future, but I really can't imagine applying the same logic to some one with already frail bones. The amount of shock to the joints, when you land, could really easily break a bone, if you already have low bmd. A compression fx doesn't take much jarring or any at all to happen.

Do a lot of reading and come up with something you'll enjoy, stay with, and won't injure you, plus build strong bones and a healthy whole body; you have to exercise every part of your body including your bones.

I'll give you an example: Swimming is not considered weight bearing exercise because of the lack of gravity, and added bouyancy. You can add weights to your routine-all kinds-which I did for years, and the drs keep telling me it's still not weight bearing. My problem is I have a lot of exercise limitations, so I have to swim even though it doesn't give you that loading on the bone. But will I give that up swimming-NO-because I can do it without hurting "too" bad. But I have to add weight bearing exercise to that to compensate. I can only walk or stand a limited amount of time, so the only way I can safely exercise my back and core is to do it in the water, I have to have the bouyancy. If that's the 'only' way I can walk for more than 15 mins then I'm doing it, since I can't do it outside of the pool. So swimming allows me to exercise my entire body, but doesn't do much for loading bone, so I add to that in weight bearing exercises that don't hurt my back, but I guarantee the exercises are very carefully selected for "me". What hurts me, problably won't hurt most, so we have to individualize our routine.
    Here's a study on non weight bearing swimming and weight bearing gymnasts. Even though you weren't asking about it

[url]http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids= 7610929&dopt=Abstract[/url]

Take advice from everyone, but in the end do what "you can", not what you're told you have to.

Good luck...

Last edited by DesertBloom; 07-10-2007 at 08:22 PM.

Old 07-10-2007, 07:42 PM   #7
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

I'm not taking bisphosphonates either due to stomach problems. If I was offered the Forteo again I would take it though. I worry about not being on anything with my T scores. It's too bad that Forteo can't be used long term. I'm hoping for new meds soon that I can tolerate. Keep up with the exercise and the calcium. That's what I'm doing for now.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:16 PM   #8
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User

Ankle weights- I have had docs and phys. ther. tell me using ankle weights while walking or exercising is a high risk activity. I walked with very light ankle weights and never had a problem , but I have no knee issues. Also a phys. ther. told me even without knee issues that exercising with ankle weights on leads to knee injuries.
    If you have knee issues keep this in mind. Sometimes it is good to err on the side of caution. If we sometimes push it where we shouldn't go, then we are sidelined for sometime.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:18 PM   #9
    jodianne
    (female)

jodianne HB User

DesertBloom
    Thanks for your reply. I bought the bike (and by the way, its a stationary
    bike, not a road bike) mainly for muscle strengthening, and then was
    wondering if it would do anything for bones. Understand now that it will
    not help the bones.

What wt bearing exers do you do??

I wouldn't consider jumping either, little old for that and feel that too would
    just cause more problems.

I used to swim 3 x a week 6 yrs ago before my hysterectomy. However,
    after the surgery, for whatever reason, I would have a painful back after
    swimming so had to give that up. This was hard for me as I really enjoyed
    the swimming. I even went back to see the surgeon to ask what possibly
    could have caused the back problem after the surgery, but of course he
    had no idea. So I just had to accept that one. I do walk. I do use wts
    for wrists arms and shoulders. But what wt bearing can you do for hips
    except unipedal standing???

Thanks again for your reply.
    Jodianne

Old 07-11-2007, 04:24 PM   #10
    jodianne
    (female)

jodianne HB User

Taape,
    Thanks again for responding. I too am at a standstill w/ taking anything
    for the osteoporosis. As I mentioned in a previous post, I seemed to have
    a reaction to the Fortical Nasal Spray. However, I have asked my allergist
    to test me for salmon. He is also going to use the actual spray also to do
    a scratch test. I can't have this done until Aug 2 so more time is going by
    w/o anything. My alternative wanted me to use the Ipriflavone, but I
    concerned about the side effect of lowered white blood count w/ that. Will
    talk to him on the 20th. In the meantime, I take calcium supp, food calcium,
    Boron, 2000 Vit D, and Vit K.
    Keep in touch if you hear of anything new coming out that maybe has less
    side effects and works! I know there are some new things being tested.
    Thanks again for responding.
    Jodianne

Old 07-11-2007, 04:26 PM   #11
    jodianne
    (female)

jodianne HB User

Osteoblast,
    Thanks for the info on the ankle wt. I never heard that. When I had
    phys therap for my back we used ankle wts. I wouldn't walk w/ them on,
    but I will find out if it would be ok to use them when I do my sitting leg lifts.
    Do you do wts bearing and what do you do?
    Thanks again,
    Jodianne

Old 07-11-2007, 06:49 PM   #12
    DesertBloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi Jodianne: After thinking about it, it dawned on me that maybe you were talking about a stationary bike, but it was too late I already posted. I would still do that to exercise your lower body muscles/joints and heart/lungs. Is it a recumbant bike or regular bike? I prefer the recumbant, only because it puts less stress on your spine, since you are leaning back the whole time and can work your calves harder. Either way biking is good!!

When I went to aqua therapy after my last fusion with hardware, we didn't do "any" swimming because that will hurt your back. What we did were things like, crab walk, forward/backward walking, lower body exercises with or without ankle weights, hip exercises, arm/wrist exercises with webbed gloves, upper body with long bars/paddles, noodle exercises, balance board exercises, and walking/running against a high power water outlet that forces you back as you move forward. 95% of these exercises are done in a standing erect spine position, no bending from the waist or swimming, for obvious reasons, everyone had just had fusions/lamies etc, so you couldn't bend anyway except with the hips. All of this may sound strange if you've never done it. If you can find a good PT that has aqua therapy for post fusion/back therapy that's what I did for about 1 1/2 years after several surgeries. If you can find this, and are interested, you'd should be able to do it, but "listen" to your body. It's usually a 60-70 minutes non-stop work out, so it takes some getting used to, and it will hurt at first, but calms down after a week or so. If you ever do anything that hurts bad, don't do it!!!!

For weight bearing, with my limitations, I do:

I do a lot of other stuff as well, but it wouldn't be considered weigth bearing, since the are mostly stretching and isometric exercises for my core, neck, ankles and feet. I can't do any of the traditional core exercises because of my back, except for a minimal curl up while lying where your head doesn't move more than a few inches from whatever you're lying on, as you bring it towards your chest (minimal sit up-sort of) with knees always bent. I also have a rebounder which I walk on for variety.

I'll leave the rest out for now, but you should get the idea, my biggest problem area for exercise is my core, because of the back pain, so what I do for that is minimal isometrics. I still do some standing an lying yoga poses as well, because it helps the pain.

If you were trying to swim, in the traditional way, back stroke, side stroke, breast stroke, that would explain why your back hurt afterward. There's only one swimming stroke I know that doesn't bend your spine and that is the frog stroke, where you spine is in a neutral position the whole time, and your entire body is under water, coming up for air by slightly raising your head.

What ever you decide to do, just make sure it doesn't hurt your back. Any exercise where you're using your body weigth is considered weigth bearing. That's why walking and running is always recommended "if" you can do it. The only time I used ankle weights was in the pool. Wearing a 10 # weight in the pool feels like a 1-2 # weight because of the buoyancy, you barely notice it until latter in the day

Good Luck...

Last edited by DesertBloom; 07-11-2007 at 07:27 PM.

Old 07-12-2007, 10:39 AM   #13
                      osteoblast
                      Senior Veteran
                      (female)

osteoblast HB User

Jodianne- As far as weight lifting goes, I bought the book BoneBuilding Body Shaping by Joyce Vedral. I don't think there is anything magical about the book. I did find it helpful and went over some of the moves I wanted to do with a phy. ther. Well, as I have osteo I have to be careful not to bend over and lift up that really is the key no no. With that in mind I picked through and cobbled together what I wanted to do. It works for me. I had to start with very light weights , tomato paste cans because of a hand injury and surgery. But a year later , I have just pulled out the 7 pound weights so I am pleased with the progress. The phys. ther. also wanted to watch me to be sure I was doing the lifting , slowly, not wobbling in my legs and not bending from the waist.
                      Some of the lifts I can't do and won't ever do - but big deal there is more than enough to keep me busy .

Oh and one last point I continue to love the Scott Coles Tai Chi dvd for Beginners. Recently I bought the Scott Coles AM and PM ( just a few moves bent over that I can't do) . I also love the am and pm , for me it is more meditative than the beginners. I really get into a zone that is very different than my ordinary exercise state of mind and it opened up a new level of the tai chi for me. I still love the Beginners for a more work out type of practice. And now I love the am pm for this other quality that is really focused on the chi (energy )awareness. I saw he has another tai chi dvd for weight loss, while I don't need to lose weight, who doesn't need stepping up of a work out. So, I will probably order that as well. I just find these dvds so enjoyable because , after the osteo diagnosis I had such fear of moving and felt disembodied in a way. Actually I felt betrayed by my body and that I had betrayed my body. Not a good space to be in! Maybe it was just a place I had to move through (literally). I am now moving again The tai chi has given me back a feeling of being in my body PLUS the meditation in motion aspect suits me perfectly. It's too bad it took a diagnosis of osteo to get me on this path- but it sure is odd how things happen.I hope your journey of finding what works for you is enjoyable !

DesertBloom have you received your dvd yet?? Having now done both the Beginners and AM/PM I have to say that I think that you would really love the AM especially. I am saying this because I know that you are having trouble standing for too long and that you are looking for that yoga feeling. Scott Coles in the AM really created a wonderful moving meditation that is to me quite amazing.( I need to get off the board here and get going on my walking and tai chi etc.) Looking forward though to hearing from you on tai chi. Oh, and I have other calcium and forteo news to update on my old high calcium thread-in a quickie nutshell -calcium is A OK, and I may be off the forteo after 12 months and do a forteo revisit later after a bisphosphonate stretch.Who knew?

Last edited by osteoblast; 07-12-2007 at 10:53 AM.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:35 AM   #14
                      DesertBloom
                      Senior Veteran
                      (female)

Hi Osteo... I guess you saw the new dr??? Do you like him???

No I haven't rec'd the dvd yet, it's back ordered till Aug, can you believe that? Maybe it's real popular!!!

As soon as I get it I'll let you know, looking forward to it.

Glad your calcium is good, was this a new test, or was it a different opinion on your last high/normal score??

Interesting about the forteo and bisphos, is there a specific reason for this decision?

Old 07-12-2007, 02:04 PM   #15
                      osteoblast
                      Senior Veteran
                      (female)

osteoblast HB User

DesertBloom-I still haven't gone out for my walk, but as I saw your response, I wanted to volley the ball back! To just do this quick , I won't go back to the old board. Yes, I saw the doc and Yes I do feel it's a great fit for me because he is an endo and a bone specialist. At long last I feel that help has arrived. My other docs are ok now too, but for my bones I have met the designated driver. On the calc. he said my regimen- forteo and high d has pushed my calc. buttons and that as it has not really gone out of range in a significant manner , he is basically ok with my calc. levels. . He said the forteo and high d doses I am taking worked like a test case to see how high I would go on the calc. level and he is ok with the results . He said he wouldn't put a patient on such a regimen just to test, but in effect that is a way to look at it. He said my low d readings were a test there as well in a way because the pth didn't go up. Also he did confirm forteo could have a lowering effect on one's pth, but yet the low low d level I was at didn't do anything to the pth. So,he doesn't see hyperpara which is another relief for me! On the intake of ca. he wants me to look at all sources and not exceed 800-1000. He said more is just wasted.This sounds good to me because I sure don't want to develop stones. So less calcium is fine with me. On the d , I stay at 5,000 for now and he sees no d metabolism issue.At your d thread I put a few more comments. And onto the big one , the forteo, his remark regarding possibly halting at 12 months was something I had not foreseen at all! No final decision yet. After dexa at 12 months on forteo and an ntx and bsap, the decision will be made. My guess is no more shots after Oct. for sometime. In a way it would be a relief to me. I would like my body to have a sabbatical from the stuff. Yes, it would mean the bisph. but there is not a perfect answer to all this. In brief , the stopping appears to be linked to that initial uptake surge on forteo and then a somewhat rapid return to baseline. From what I can tell it's an attempt to get a second go at the initial uptake surge. We have heard/ talked about this before, Dr. Felicia Cossman was doing the alternating period forteo/ bisph although I think it was several month periods not the 12 mo.interval. I am going to be getting a research paper on this surge/ return to baseline, he said he would give it to me, but in leaving I forgot to ask for it. OOOPs just too much going on. We didn't even talk about when the next forteo would start. Again this is speculative for now and will depend on the results of the 12 month ntx, bsap and dexa. He doesn't see anything now to be gained with estro or combipatch, I am going to leave this aside for now. I had mentioned on another thread that I was worried about a recent blood test that showed slightly elevated liver enzymes, this threw me for a loop and I really was interested in asking him if forteo might have damaged my liver - scary thought. Well as I said , I am glad he was an endo because he really looked at my thyroid results as well. At the time of the blood test that showed the elevated liver enzymes I had just gone hyperthyroid because my last endo had advanced my thyroid med too quickly . Well, he said as that coincided pretty closely , his view is that the hyperthyroid is what caused the elevated liver enzymes. And on another point, in reviewing the one ntx done at 5 months on forteo , and a recent bsap, as well as a dexa 5 months in to the program- he is cautious about my seeing much in the way of a dexa increase. Again, not something I expected /wanted to hear. But, at least I did what I could do with the forteo and finding an endo/bone spec. and now I have a doc with a plan and further more I like him. Also, he is very positive about a significant osteoporosis development in the not too distant future. I didn't push on this point, as it is not here now and we have things to do now. All in all even with the news of my maybe limited response to the first forteo installment , I am ok with this. He said the forteo was not a wasted venture, that there can be strengthening that would not show up in the dexa. And he is also looking forward to the time when there will be a test not just of density but of bone strength. In conclusion, I feel a new sense of relief, peace and gratitude. Also while I was on my excursion, I spent sometime in the adjacent hospital, went to their cafeteria and walked around, I saw some people who I think were barely hanging on in wheel chairs and walking with an iv pole. It's a very tough go and as I had some time, I went to the hospital chapel and prayed for these people and others who I didn't see and somehow there was some healing in that too. I would love to hear your thoughts about all the above when you have some time. Thanks once again for being my osteopal, I thought about you as well when I was in the waiting room and thought we have come a distance together. I feel gratitude to you as well.

Last edited by osteoblast; 07-12-2007 at 02:10 PM.

Closed Thread