It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• Parathyroid surgery and low calcium?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-18-2007, 06:26 AM   #1
    Ruskingirl
    (female)

Ruskingirl HB User
    Parathyroid surgery and low calcium?

I had surgery monday for parathyroid and partial thryoid removal. The surgery it's self went great (I hardly have any pain) but I still am a mess. Anyone with experience??? My calcium went down right away, but after I returned home I started to have symptoms of low calcium...tingling and muscle twitching. The doctor started me on four tablets of calcium and vit. D. In the mean time my neck has been locked because of being hyperextended on the operating table and the pressure in my head is aweful. I also have a sinus infection. Need less to say I am feeling so bad and think I am going crazy. In fact I think I might have taken two tylinol 600 instead of one. Does anyone have any advice???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2007, 04:23 PM   #2
    Lewis68
    (male)

Lewis68 HB User
    Re: Parathyroid surgery and low calcium?

Sorry that you're going through this, but it will get better. Just keep thinking about the normal Calcium level, and how great you'll feel after you're all healed up.

I can't say I had the same issues as you, but it took me at least a week to start feeling better.

Take care

Old 08-20-2007, 12:36 AM   #3
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User

RuskinGirl-I hope that you will feel better soon. I have no experience with the surgery that you have been through but I wanted to send you healing wishes. Your body has been through alot no doubt. I hope that you can take the time to rest quietly and calmly. You do sound a bit stressed out but that is certainly to be expected considering what has been going on for you. Just try to take it easy. I hope that someone is helping you and being supportive. If you are alone going through this , know that you need to be extra supportive to yourself. Be sure to eat well, get some good sleep and baby yourself for awhile. Say nice things to yourself. You are entitled to that . Take care.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:52 PM   #4
    Ruskingirl
    (female)

Ruskingirl HB User

Thank you for the kind wishes. My neck is still locked even though it has been one week since the surgery. I haven't eaten in days (tryng to force some food down) have been in and out of the ER because of the pressure in my head. They have done all sorts of tests but says everything is fine. I am starting to see a little light at the end of the tunnel and my bone pain is gone!!! The funny thing is that this was my seventh surgery and suppose to be the easiest, but so far it has been the hardest to get through. I don't get it.

Old 08-20-2007, 04:05 PM   #5
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User

Ruskingirl- Glad to hear that you are feeling somewhat better. That's great. Were your previous six surgeries all having to do with thyroid and parathyroid?

Old 08-20-2007, 04:48 PM   #6
    Ruskingirl
    (female)

Ruskingirl HB User

No, they were all adominal.

Old 09-10-2007, 06:43 PM   #7
    Porkyy
    (male)

Porkyy HB User

hi
    you mean abdominal?
    how do you feel now?
    any improvements?
    tks

Old 10-08-2007, 08:01 AM   #8
    parathy
    (female)

parathy HB User

Hi. I am scheduled for parathyroid surgery in 2 weeks. I heard all these great things about how I'm going to feel after the surgery and only now I'm hearing bad stuff. What is the truth? I just thought I had a tough year with a divorce. that's why I wasn't feeling great or focused. I have never been on any medicine. My thyroid labs are all great. Just calcium a little high and pth is high and like a roller coaster.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:44 PM   #9
    Ruskingirl
    (female)

Ruskingirl HB User

parathy, I found out that I had a very rare disorder that was unrelated to the parathyroid surgery but showed up at the sametime. Now that everything has resolved, I am feeling so much better. The big things I noticed is that I can sleep at night and have no pain in my bones. My energy level is much improved as well. So the bottom line is that I would do it all over again. Good luck on your surgery.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:19 AM   #10
    georgi
    (female)

georgi HB User

I am also wondering how long the recovery time is for parathyroid surgery. My bad parathyroid gland did not show up on the Sestamibi scan. So now I have to have the old fashion type exploratory surgery.I am not looking forward to this. I am sure I have a great surgeon, but his bedside manner sucks. I hear such horror stories, but maybe the bad stuff is the stuff that gets posted. I am in hopes that after this, my pth and calicum levels go down and that I will be feeling better. Wish there was another route to go.

Old 10-12-2007, 02:18 PM   #11
    Ruskingirl
    (female)

Ruskingirl HB User

Hi Georgi, is there anyway to get a second opinion? I am not sure I would want to have the exploratory surgery. But I do have to say that my calcium levels were already down by the time I reached the recovery room immediately after the surgery. They have stayed down and so has my pht levels, even after 8 1/2 weeks and I really am feeling so much better. The recovery time is really quick...but I had such a bad time with the other problem that I didn't notice how quickly I was healing from the surgery. When look back it was only a couple of weeks.

Last edited by Ruskingirl; 10-12-2007 at 02:21 PM.

Old 12-07-2007, 06:04 PM   #12
    Porkyy
    (male)

Porkyy HB User

hi Ruskingirl,
    how do you feel now and how long it took from the surgery to see the improvements?

was calciuria involved? if yes, how was the calciuria after the surgery?

tks

wish you all the best

Old 12-08-2007, 08:40 AM   #13
    Ruskingirl
    (female)

Ruskingirl HB User

Hi Porkyy,

I didn't have much problem with calciuria, my serum blood calcium levels were very high (11.9) as well as my pth levels (156). I developed osteopenia and had a kidney stone, I was also in tremendous pain (both bone and joint) and very little energy. I had part of my thyroid removed along with my parathyroid. My calcuim levels dropped immediately and the pth levels have leveled out. The bone pain is gone but I still have joint pain which is probably from another issue. I got an infection from the hospital (where I had the surgery) which caused a very rare disorder that basically caused my immune system to attack my brain. Need less to say, my surgery was in Aug. and I am still not completely recovered. The parathyroid surgery was a success but that's where it ends.

Did you have the surgery and how did it come out? How are your levels?

Last edited by Ruskingirl; 12-08-2007 at 08:41 AM.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:06 PM   #14
    Porkyy
    (male)

Porkyy HB User

Hi ruskingirl,

I had the surgery done but the only thing that has changed is the energy level. After a week there's still bone pain, dizziness, can't concentrate etc.
    Don't have the levels now but I'll post later.
    How long after the surgery the bone pain disappeared?

tks

Old 12-15-2007, 02:11 AM   #15
    romanss
    (male)

romanss HB User

i don't know much about parathyroid surgery i was in a pain which is not related to this cause my calcium level was too low continuously taken the medicine prescribed by doctor side by i use to take herbal medicines which help me a lot.

Closed Thread