It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• The Osteoporosis Solution

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-26-2007, 12:17 PM   #1
    wildflowers
    (female)

wildflowers HB User
    The Osteoporosis Solution

I finally found the osteoporosis solution. I started out on the healthboards here asking and wondering what I did wrong, I did everything the doctors told me to do and the end result I was told I had severe osteoporosis. Like many of you have mentioned here on the boards, it can be very life changing to hear those words. Then I experienced all the classic symtoms of grieving, I felt a loss. It seemed something crept up behind me without me noticing and hit me between the eyes. I had to learn how to spell the doggone word let alone know what to do for it. If I look back on all my posts over the months I saw a individual who was searching, hoping, praying, begging, bargaining and looking for the little mini miracle that I had hoped would be mine. It took everything I could muster up to finally decide to take the forteo injections, the side effects of constant dizziness and a feeling of unwell was to high a price to pay. Then it happened, the solution to my osteoporosis became quite clear to me. I started to enoy life differently again, I was laughing like I use to do before I was diagnosed with osteo, I was eating better, I was enjoying my family and friends, I was working gleefullly and joyfully out in my garden, these last days of summer seemed sweeter. Again I felt the same way I did before I got that dreadful diagnosis. What happened to wildflowers? My solution to ostoporosis was to stop constantly looking for a solution. I stopped it all, I stopped looking for the latest books, I stopped walking in and out of every health food store within a radius of my home, I stopped talking about it. I stopped taking it to bed with me, I stopped taking it on my vacation, my fun trips with my grandchildren, I took a breather and gave me a rest. What I found out is that I am the same person I was after the diagnois as I was before the diagnosis. Osteoporois is not me, I was tired that my focus was urgent to find a solution, when in all reality there is no perfect solution, only trials and errors. Now, I am not afraid of ostoporosis anymore, I will not miss the vividly beautiful and lovely moments of each and everyday, I will take my calcium, my vitamin D, do my exercises, watch funny movies (laughing is so very healing), eat healthy, use salt and sugar sparingly, and trust that there is a greater power then wildflowers that is in control. I have the serenity to do the things I need to do in order to live a happy and full life, the courage to change the things I need, wisdom to know the difference. There is a wisdom that came to me through all of this, I just didn't want to sacrifice any more precious moments worrying and fretting about alot of things that I could not change, I now have the courage to change the things I can but more importantly the wisdom to know the difference. That's the key for me, that's my solution Blessings to all Wildflowers

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2007, 12:44 PM   #2
    Kathy1813
    (female)

Kathy1813 HB User
    Re: The Osteoporosis Solution

wildflowers - What a wonderful message! Thank you. I am about in the same boat you are. I am now taking nothing for the osteo even though I know I should be - but when you can't take the Fosamax or those like it, and like you the Forteo made me so sick - there isn't much left. I am trying not to worry about it and just hope I can do as well as you seem to be doing. I am going to see an endocrinologist the first part of Sept. to see if there might be some underlying reason why I was getting sick with the Forteo.

I hope you will continue to post and let us know how you are coming along.

Kathy

Old 08-26-2007, 04:17 PM   #3
    Turquoise
    (female)

Turquoise HB User

Wildflowers:
    You have voiced the process many of us have gone through. I had heard the word osteoporosis many times over the years but it didn't scare me like cancer or heart disease. Then why, when I was diagnosed, did I believe I was on my way to a wheel chair. Up to that point I was healthy, stong and had NEVER broken a bone. I believed my endo when she said I had very fragile bones. I believed the drug companies when they said there product would reduce my chance of fractures. I believed myself to be one fall short of being handicapped.

Deep down I kept saying to myself...but I've always been strong boned and healthy. How can this be? My epiphany came when my endo prescribed Forteo because the Fosamax was doing NOTHING! I figured I better reseach this drug because of the black box warning. The more I read the more I became aware that some of us with osteoporosis were in worse shape than others even though we had similar low T-scores.

I truly believe that bone strength is NOT measured by bone density. Unfortunately, bone density is the only bone factor that can be easily measured. I nixed the forteo and shortly afterward went off Fosamx. I've started a regime that is tailored to my needs that involves exercise, diet and supplements.

I have one more appt. with the endo in December. It will be my last. I don't think I will get anymore bone density tests either as I am considered non-compliant in medical terms. So, like Wildflowers, I will go on my way and just not worry about it anymore. We all have to decided for ourselves what is best for us.
    Good luck,
    Turquoise

Old 08-26-2007, 04:28 PM   #4
    wildflowers
    (female)

wildflowers HB User

Hi Kathy Thank You! Please don't be to hard on yourself regarding getting sick with the forteo, it's not anything you or your body has done. I talked with my physician and he reassured me that the chemistry in our bodies, each and every one of us is different. A good example he said is the way perfume reacts to different folks, a wonderful fragrance of perfume can smell simply wonderful on one person and someone else will use the same fragrance and it will smell like cleaning fluid. Maybe Kathy, just maybe by doing it the natural way we are giving ourselves peace, stress and bone health do not go together, also we are doing what is right for us. There is no guarantee that years down the road all of the osteo medications that are being prescribed for us now will have long range side effects, I hope that is not the case. I wil be getting a bone scan in January of 08', if I have maintained at the present rate, and I haven't gotten any worse, I would be perfectly satisfied with that result.

Kathy you have already "got it" you are already working towards your own solution, all of our effort and time has not been wasted, we both now know that osteo meds do not work for us and in fact we are not alone and that's o.k. Thanks again Kathy for validating what I knew to be true for me, I will definitely post any new developements on my journey doing it the natural way. Blessings! Wildflowers

Old 08-26-2007, 04:34 PM   #5
    glowing4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

glowing4 HB User

wildflowers, Beautiful message, beautifully said. Thank you for making us all stop and realize that life and living it is more important than the worry and the fear. Thank you for blessing us with wisdom, exerience, and the joy of living.

glowing4

Old 08-26-2007, 05:20 PM   #6
    montesflus
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

montesflus HB Usermontesflus HB User

Hi Wildflowers, it's your old friend montesflus

I really do applaud you. I'm sure there are many, many of us out there who fall for the scare tactics of big pharma, along with their oh so scary tv ads, and then the clinics who send us little notices, advising us that we're somehow ''abnormal'' - our bones, that is, because of low density readings on our DEXA scans. Booooooh to all of them. Don't give in to this madness. And yes, I agree that there are some people who really do suffer from osteo probs (usually in conjunction with other medical probs). I mean, for heaven sakes, bone-loss is normal, for the most part, in post-menopausal women, some will have more than others, some less, and some pre-menopausal women can have it too. And so what! it's part of life, it's not a life threatening disease for the vast majority of us - not something big pharma wants us to think Unfortunately, most docs go right along with big pharma and prescribe a bisphosphonate of some kind. That's what they're told to do, that's what is considered the ''norm'' for treatment of osteo, it's what they're familiar with, what the big pharma reps tell them, and it's usually what's on their hospital, or HMO formulary. Hmmmmmmmm. Too many drug company reps crowding the halls of the clinics, these days

Let's face it. The vast majority of us probably are NOT going to fall. Hopefully we take the proper precautions. And even if we do fall, in all probability, our bones will heal normally. Something that, in many instances, does NOT seem to happen to people taking a bisphosphonate med, who fall. These people will often NOT heal normally, just because the bisphos med prevents the normal regrowth of bone, something required for normal bone healing. Hmmmmmmm. And add to this all the other awful side effects of these meds, and it's a recipe for disaster. Oh well, I suppose there ARE people who do well on these drugs. Just I've yet to meet one. I myself have fractured. It happened while I was still young, way before becoming menopausal, and I had a hairline fracture to my wrist. This happened while my bone-density was at it's peak! Anyone can fall, fracture a bone, at any time in their life, you don't have to be osteoporotic for that to happen. And while my reasoning may sound simplistic to some, I'll just continue with my regime of supplements and exercise and weight bearing, and go on my merry way.

And yes - Osteo is very definitely NOT a myth (some will obviously suffer more than others), but it's most certainly NOT the life threatening disaster big pharma and the medical industry would have you believe. Unfortunately there's so much pressure for us to think otherwise. Don't give in to this pressure, do what you believe, in your gut, is best for you, and DO read the book ''The Myth of Osteoporosis'' by Gillian Sanson. Sure, it's not a myth, but it's also not a life threatening condition, either. This book can take away much of the stress and worry caused by docs and big pharma!

All the best

Last edited by montesflus; 08-26-2007 at 05:29 PM.

Old 08-26-2007, 05:31 PM   #7
    wildflowers
    (female)

wildflowers HB User

Thank you Turquoise and glowing 4, there truly is peace beyond osteoporosis. I lost me along the way, I wanted me back, and now I have me back and I feel very blessed. From the time I heard the diagnosis until I experienced side effects from the forteo, I wasn't living my life the way I did before i got my T-Score. At Christmas I cut down our Christmas tree and also branches for decorations, I did snow angels with my grandchildren in the snow. I shoveled the front porch, I worked hard and long in my garden loving every moment and then the diagnosis.......I was totally unaware that I had ventured into another reality of mindbending or brainwashing techniques of osteoporosis. Fear definitely was the culprit, i was fed fear daily whereever I turned, the doctor's office, the books, research, etc etc. I tasted it, felt it and my heart heart and I literally was sobbing inside, because of a T-score. Then I found healthboards, There is a difference in bone density and bone strength, I know I have bone strength.
    I will always be totally grateful to all of you on healthboards, wonderful folks that made me feel safe while on this journey to get me back. In gratitude and love Wildflowers

Old 08-26-2007, 05:43 PM   #8
    wildflowers
    (female)

wildflowers HB User

Montesflus my dear friend, I couldn't have said it any better. I have just printed your post out and placed it in my new journal of positive thinking. I will not go back anymore to "stinking thinking" fear tactics Montesflus, here is one less person they can frighten the daylights out. Every word you said is true, oh! so very true. This truly has been a journey of enlightment, I should call it the enlightment of wildflowers. Blessings! your friend Wildflowers

Old 08-26-2007, 06:59 PM   #9
    starfish81
    (female)

starfish81 HB User

Wow, this is a "feel-good" thread ; you can really sense a groundswell of support for those of us choosing to go thru this without using prescription drugs. Thank-you all so much! It was great to read from some of you who helped me out on my initial post, but haven't "been here" awhile.

And you're so right; it's the fear that breaks your spirit. After getting told I'm down to a -3.4 despite doing all the right things, I became consumed with the diagnosis. I did nothing but research, hoping for a solution that maybe I hadn't uncovered yet. I cried many times. Osteoporosis consumed me from the moment I awakened-and the resultant depression/anxiety prevented me from sleeping, laughing, doing anything I used to enjoy. Even now, if I do a back exercise and I feel discomfort afterwards, my first thought is "oh, what if I've fractured a vertebrae?" I'm afraid to go back to my gynaecologist because he's always pressuring me to do Forteo and becomes very unpleasant when I refuse .

I'm still fighting the fear factor, and these posts helped immensely. I've ordered 3 copies of "The Myth of Osteoporosis": 1 for me 1 for my personal trainer, and 1 for a close friend! Let's keep these posts up-I know I felt uplifted !

Old 08-26-2007, 07:54 PM   #10
    DesertBloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User

Hi: I'm thrilled for all of you that have reached a place of peace and possibly joy with your diagnosis. The powers that be-drug cos, drs, etc. can only attain power if "you" give it to them. What I mean is stand up for your beliefs and decisions and don't let others talk you into something that goes against your gut instincts. If the latest med is not for you, don't take it, that's your decision, but only do it because you believe it's the way to go. Don't let fear rule your life. We all know if we believe something isn't going to work, it probably won't so don't go against your instincts, because you are the only one paying for that. Try not to let any medical problem become the focus of your being, as easy as that could be to do, I know and you know we've all been there, but there are so many other wonderful things to think about that can take it's place

Everyday I write down something positive or funny that has come out of having osteo, and you'd be surprised how that will change your prespective. Finding the positive in the negative is something I've had to do for a long time, so I've made it a part of my life. Having a good sense of humor also helps a lot and developing a sense of perspective allows you to see joy in spite of adversity. We can't control the events in our lives, but we can control how we choose to deal with them. I like what starfishes acupuncturists said, and excuse my paraphrase, but she said something like ...do you feel your bones are weak? If so they probably are, or not then they probably aren't. Boy did I butcher what she said, but you get the idea of the power of the mind over the body.

So here's my positive osteo thought for the day... If I hadn't been diagnosed with osteo, I wouldn't have met any of you and what a sad prospect that is...

I would love to hear some of your daily thoughts as well, let's put them on this board for everyone to nourish themselves.

Hi Monteflus: I really hope you didn't feel the need to make the comment about osteo not being a myth on my behalf??? If so I would feel terrible that I could censor anyone thoughts or feelings on this subject, everyones entitled to their beliefs-love, your friend DB

Good luck to all of you and the path you choose, and continue to laugh, stay strong, and nuture an understanding heart for everyone you meet.

Last edited by DesertBloom; 08-26-2007 at 08:39 PM.

Old 08-27-2007, 03:25 AM   #11
    phylwill1152
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

Wildflower...thank you for sharing your thoughts, you've come full circle. You're message should be posted in every doctors office where the dx of osteo is told so others won't be so scared. I'm not going to expound on what the others have said so beautifully, but I can say that i'm proud of you for learning so much in a short time. BTW..how is that beautiful garden of yours? take care...phyllis

Old 08-27-2007, 06:30 AM   #12
    wildflowers
    (female)

wildflowers HB User

Good Morning Everyone, I would love to share positive thoughts and humorous happenings on our journey, it would definitely nurish and nuture us, be very healing, it truly is the solution to osteoporosis, heart disease, cancer, arithritis etc. etc. A tranquil mind and body is the best gift we can give to ourselves, it will give our body a chance to heal without all the drama, crisis and turmoil our mind loves to invent and create. Some thoughts below Blessings! Wildflowers

Don't give up, Find your way through the days with the light that shines within you. Find the strength to make things right again for you. Listen a little more often to what your heart has to say. Do the things that are important to you. Don't settle for less; don't accept what you should not. Use the precious hours you've been given as wisely as you can. There is so much beauty around us, blooming flowers and trees, tender grass so fresh and green, song of a bird, blue sky, listening to soft rain on your windowsill, fragrant air, cooling breeze, freshly laundered clothes, music to soothe your soul and spirit, reading. The list is forever, it is still out there even when we are distracted by other things. Remember to stop and smell the rose, just don't look at it and marvel at it's beauty, place your nose near the petals and breathe deep into a fragrance that will send your heart away to a place of peace you have never known. Blessings! Wildflowers

Old 08-27-2007, 02:52 PM   #13
    shewolf75
    (female)

shewolf75 HB Usershewolf75 HB User

Hi all, I was depressed about the osteo when the Actonel the doctor prescribed caused such bad reactions, and I couldn't take calcium supplements because they made me sick. That same doctor told me that they can tell the patients what are available, but then it's up to the patient to decide, and she said while I decided on my options, to try and forget about osteoporosis and go on with my life. It was obsessing me, and she saw that right away.
    "You might have the disease, but don't let the disease have you," she said.
    Too bad that wise doc moved on to another facility, but when I get downhearted, I remember that great piece of advice.
    I eventually decided on Forteo, and time will tell if it works, but meanwhile, I might have the disease, but it certainly doesn't have me, and from what I've been reading on the forum, most of you feel the same way!
    Blessings and love to all, and thanks for all the sharing.
    Pat

Closed Thread