It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• calcium and magnesium

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-20-2007, 04:55 PM   #1
    betsy1716
    (female)

betsy1716 HB User
    calcium and magnesium

I take 1500mg calcium and 1000mg of vitamin d daily per my doctor. It makes me constipated but heard that I should also take magnesium to prevent that. How much magnesium should I take along with my calcium and vitamin d?

I am 53 years old with a family history of osteoporosis.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2007, 05:42 PM   #2
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User
    Re: calcium and magnesium

Hi-when you say that you take 1500 mg. calcium, are you taking into account all the calcium in your diet? For example
    cup skim milk=302 mg. calcium
    cup yogurt =415
    1 oz. cheddar=204
    You can see how dietary sources of calcium add up very quickly.You need to add your dietary intake of calcium to your supplement intake to determine your daily intake.
    I am looking at information from the National Academy of Sciences published in 2002 indicating 1200mg calcium daily for someone aged 51 and older. This information was published in the Mayo Clinic book on Osteoporosis.I am sure others will add their viewpoint but my first question is about the amount of calcium you are taking. From your question it sounds like you are taking 1500mg a day in supplement form and not counting your dietary.
    Second, what kind of calcium are you taking. There is some thought that calcium citrate is easier on the system and it doesn't have to be taken with a meal.
    Also your body cannot absorb a large amount of calcium at one shot. So you need to space your dietary and supplement intake throughout the day.
    I will let others respond about the magnesium . I would only say magnesium needs to be taken in smaller doses at first while your system gets used to it so you don't have diarrhea.

Maybe your constipation is related to too much calcium or a form of calcium your body doesn't like.

p.s. my doctor told me more(beyond recommended) is not better when it comes to calcium.

Welcome to the board!

Last edited by osteoblast; 09-20-2007 at 05:45 PM.

Old 09-20-2007, 05:59 PM   #3
    glowing4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

glowing4 HB User

There is some thought that more magnesium is needed than calcium. It will definitely help with the constipation and magnesium keeps the bones flexible and strong which is defintely as important, if not more so, than bone desity. It used to be 1500 mg of calcium and 500 mg of magnesium, but that thinking is changing. And, yes, calcium citrate is more easily absorbed. I was really constipated for awhile until I realized what calcium to take and to take it with magnesium.

Be very careful taking calcium despite what all the ads tell you. A serious bout with kidney stones (never had them before), and advice from my urologist confirmed that. Osteoblast is absolutely right - it is a combined amount of dietary and supplements. And, a great many foods today are being fortified with calcium.

You should also be doing weight bearing exercise. You can find those online by typing in "osteoporosis exercises" in your favorite search engine. There are also many books that have them as well.

glowing4

Old 09-27-2007, 11:27 AM   #4
    jenj770
    Inactive
    (female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User

Also, too much calcium can also cause bone related problems just as too little calcium can.

I take 600 mg. magnesium in the form of glycinate chelate because it is more absorbable. If you tend toward constipation, a citrate brand would probably work well. Natural Calm is a good choice. I have the opposite problem.

Old 10-05-2007, 09:53 AM   #5
    peppurr
    (female)

peppurr HB User

I was told by my doctor to take 1500 of Ca supplements on top of what I get with my diet. I have osteoporosis of the spine.

Old 10-05-2007, 02:31 PM   #6
    tulsatime
    (female)

tulsatime HB User

Hi Betsy,

Due to new information coming forth concerning magnesium I am taking:

Calcium orotate - 500mg x2 less if I have consumed much cheese, kale, collards, etc.
    Magnesium orotate - 400mg x2
    Vitamin D3 - 1000mg x 1

The magnesium really helps with the constipation. After researching ezorbs components extensively I made the decision to use orotates, if I am in a pinch and need to buy locally, I will settle for the asporotate versions.

Take Care

We are in the same boat - I am 51 and my mother has severe osteo/ with dowagers.

Closed Thread