It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Osteoporosis Message Board

  • Switching from Fosamax to Strontium

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 10-05-2007, 06:45 PM   #1
    peppurr
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    peppurr's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2007
    Location: Canada
    Posts: 158
    peppurr HB User
    Switching from Fosamax to Strontium

    First of all, THANK YOU to all of you (especially DesertBloom) for such great research and information here.
    I've been reading, reading for the past 2 days here and I've made up my mind to get off Fosamax. Forteo sounds pretty good too, so I'm not quite sure - Strontium or Forteo.

    Anyways, I will be seeing my doctor next week to go over this with him but in the meantime can someone tell me - should I wait a period between quitting the Fosamax and starting Strontium? I don't think my doctor will know.

    I see Fosamax can stay in your system for 10-20 yrs after taking it, so I'm not going to wait that long!

    Has anyone made this switch before and if so how did you do it?

    ETA I just looked up Forteo - and the first thing I see is that it causes bone cancer in animals!! eek!

    Last edited by peppurr; 10-05-2007 at 06:49 PM.

     
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 10-06-2007, 03:35 AM   #2
    phylwill1152
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Jul 2006
    Location: Havana, IL
    Posts: 927
    phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User
    Re: Switching from Fosamax to Strontium

    Hi peppurr and welcome to the board. I've been taking strontium for over a year now. I took actenol for 2 months, but decided it wasn't something i wanted to continue with. I waited a month to start the strontium, but i did this on my own. My dr. wasn't familiar with strontium at the time, so he wasn't any help. Sorry i can't be more help. Take care...phyllis

     
    Old 10-06-2007, 06:05 AM   #3
    starfish81
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Jul 2007
    Location: Kamloops BC, Canada
    Posts: 243
    starfish81 HB User
    Re: Switching from Fosamax to Strontium

    Hi and welcome,Peppurr. I'm another strontium user (started about a month ago); I never used bisphosphonates but started the strontium immediately following an unsuccessful treatment with growth hormone. So far, no side effects from the strontium.
    What I can tell you is that your doctor will try to steer you away from the strontium and push Forteo on you instead. Why? Because the vast majority of the medical profession remains blissfully ignorant about any non-pharmaceutical means of treatment. Also, as Phylwill (I think it was Phylwill) mentioned in a previous post, doctors feel they have to do "something" when you present with an osteoporosis diagnosis, and if they don't recommend something which is recognised as "the standard of care", they feel they're liable if you fracture something down the road. Right now, the "standard of care" is Forteo/Fosamax/Boniva etc. However, if you do an internet search on strontium and osteoporosis, you'll find some encouraging studies which your doctor has probably never heard about-none of mine had ( Phylwill mentioned a wonderful link in a previous post).
    Whenever a doctor gives me that "standard of care" line about an osteo drug, I remind him/her that bloodletting was once a "standard of care" too .

     
    Old 10-06-2007, 08:36 AM   #4
    peppurr
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    peppurr's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2007
    Location: Canada
    Posts: 158
    peppurr HB User
    Re: Switching from Fosamax to Strontium

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by phylwill1152 View Post
    Hi peppurr and welcome to the board. I've been taking strontium for over a year now. I took actenol for 2 months, but decided it wasn't something i wanted to continue with. I waited a month to start the strontium, but i did this on my own. My dr. wasn't familiar with strontium at the time, so he wasn't any help. Sorry i can't be more help. Take care...phyllis
    This is exactly why I posed the question here. I know my doctor won't have a clue. Perhaps I should see a naturopath dr.
    Otoh, I have only been taking Fosamax for 3 months so you've given me some direction.
    I phoned my pharmacist yesterday and told her I was quitting the F. I wanted to know if there was a weaning period before starting the S. She told me - "Do not quit until you have seen your doctor". Boy...they're all in this together aren't they. Also, I did ask my back specialist about whether to take S or F and he said definitely F.

    By the way, one of my pilates instructors had osteoprenia. She is married to a naturopath dr. She told me about Strontium before I started the F. I am kicking myself for not finding this board beforehand. She actually reversed her osteoprenia with S & supplements.
    I realize I have the osteoporosis of the spine but I'm 2.8 on the scale which is not that bad YET so I am definitely getting off this F.

    Thank you very much Phyllis for responding!

     
    Old 10-06-2007, 08:38 AM   #5
    peppurr
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    peppurr's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2007
    Location: Canada
    Posts: 158
    peppurr HB User
    Re: Switching from Fosamax to Strontium

    I'll reply to you later Starfish - I'm off to pilates!

     
    Old 10-06-2007, 11:54 AM   #6
    peppurr
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    peppurr's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2007
    Location: Canada
    Posts: 158
    peppurr HB User
    Re: Switching from Fosamax to Strontium

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by starfish81 View Post
    Hi and welcome,Peppurr. I'm another strontium user (started about a month ago); I never used bisphosphonates but started the strontium immediately following an unsuccessful treatment with growth hormone. So far, no side effects from the strontium.
    What I can tell you is that your doctor will try to steer you away from the strontium and push Forteo on you instead. Why? Because the vast majority of the medical profession remains blissfully ignorant about any non-pharmaceutical means of treatment. Also, as Phylwill (I think it was Phylwill) mentioned in a previous post, doctors feel they have to do "something" when you present with an osteoporosis diagnosis, and if they don't recommend something which is recognised as "the standard of care", they feel they're liable if you fracture something down the road. Right now, the "standard of care" is Forteo/Fosamax/Boniva etc. However, if you do an internet search on strontium and osteoporosis, you'll find some encouraging studies which your doctor has probably never heard about-none of mine had ( Phylwill mentioned a wonderful link in a previous post).
    Whenever a doctor gives me that "standard of care" line about an osteo drug, I remind him/her that bloodletting was once a "standard of care" too .
    I just had to look up bloodletting lol. When I see this doctor on Thursday, I will be totally armed with info. I really should get rid of my GP except I think they're all the same. How did we get to the point where we have to tell a doctor what treatment we should and should not have is beyond me. Thank goodness for the internet, I guess.

    I probably would have continued on with this Fosamax but then my jaw started aching and I started to research and found "jaw death"

    I don't know which poster it was but I totally concur with her about aging and normal bone thinning and the Pharmaceutical Industry's response. I can tell now that my mother probably has osteo of the spine even though she has never been diagnosed or received treatment. She is 84 and eats very healthy. A few years ago she fell and broke her leg and it healed properly and quickly. If she was on Fosamax I now believe there would have been complications.

    I'm excited about taking Strontium. I have also found a physiotherapist who specializes in pilates exercises for osteo. I'm very encouraged at this point.

    Thanks you both for responding! I really appreciate your input. When is either of you scheduled for another bone scan? I'd very interested in learning your results from the Strontium.

     
    Old 10-06-2007, 01:54 PM   #7
    DesertBloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    DesertBloom's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2006
    Location: CA, USA
    Posts: 1,483
    DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User
    Re: Switching from Fosamax to Strontium

    Hi Peppurr: Thanks for your kind words-you're really sweet and I'm glad I could help. Good luck with your decisions on treatment!!!

     
    Old 10-06-2007, 02:21 PM   #8
    peppurr
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    peppurr's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2007
    Location: Canada
    Posts: 158
    peppurr HB User
    Re: Switching from Fosamax to Strontium

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DesertBloom View Post
    Hi Peppurr: Thanks for your kind words-you're really sweet and I'm glad I could help. Good luck with your decisions on treatment!!!
    Hi and thank you again, DB!

     
    Old 10-07-2007, 10:40 AM   #9
    phylwill1152
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Jul 2006
    Location: Havana, IL
    Posts: 927
    phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User
    Re: Switching from Fosamax to Strontium

    Hi peppurr, I had a DEXA in June and had improvement in both total hip and lumbar spine scores. It showed a 3.5% increase in each since the previous one a year before. I don't know exactly how much gain i got since no adjustments were made for the strontium use. I did stop taking it for 30 days prior to the scan at the request of the dr. Since drs. don't reccommend using it, the labs don't have the necessary numbers to make the adjustments for an accurate score. It could be anywhere from a 10-50 % overestimate, but even with that said i still had improvements that i can build on.

    When i go to see our dr. i always go armed with new info that is pertinent to my health. Dr. are so busy that i feel its my job to go in informed and make the best use of the time i have with him.. My dr. thanks me for bringing him info that he doesn't have the time or inclination to research. He's young, so i think he's more open to his patients telling him what they want. We have to be advocates for our own health and be bold enough to tell the dr. how we want to be treated.

    I'm interested in hear more about the pilates for osteo. have a good day..take care...phyllis

     
    Old 10-07-2007, 03:38 PM   #10
    peppurr
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    peppurr's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2007
    Location: Canada
    Posts: 158
    peppurr HB User
    Re: Switching from Fosamax to Strontium

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by phylwill1152 View Post
    Hi peppurr, I had a DEXA in June and had improvement in both total hip and lumbar spine scores. It showed a 3.5% increase in each since the previous one a year before. I don't know exactly how much gain i got since no adjustments were made for the strontium use. I did stop taking it for 30 days prior to the scan at the request of the dr. Since drs. don't reccommend using it, the labs don't have the necessary numbers to make the adjustments for an accurate score. It could be anywhere from a 10-50 % overestimate, but even with that said i still had improvements that i can build on.

    When i go to see our dr. i always go armed with new info that is pertinent to my health. Dr. are so busy that i feel its my job to go in informed and make the best use of the time i have with him.. My dr. thanks me for bringing him info that he doesn't have the time or inclination to research. He's young, so i think he's more open to his patients telling him what they want. We have to be advocates for our own health and be bold enough to tell the dr. how we want to be treated.

    I'm interested in hear more about the pilates for osteo. have a good day..take care...phyllis
    Hi Phyllis! Well now...isn't that encouraging! Thank you for telling me. I'm not sure what DEXA so I will have to look that up. With our medical system I am allowed a bone scan every 2.5 yrs. At the start of Fosamax (11 wks ago) my doctor told me that it would be 3 yrs because that's how long it takes the Fosamax to work. I'm going to see him on Thursday and I have a LIST. You're right. We have to be advocates & tell the dr. I've been doing that for quite sometime but I thought I'd go with him this time because I hadn't researched.grrrrr. My dr is a few yrs older than me and I think he's losing interest. Our med system is all about maintenance and no prevention whatsover - so what ever Michael Moore thinks - baloney.

    I'm going to make an appt to see a naturopath dr (the husband of one of my pilates instructors).

    And since you mentioned the pilates - there are some exercizes that will actually stretch your spine and supporting muscles, however, there are many that will make the situation worse. Two yrs ago when I had osteopenia, my back specialist recommended pilates. Unfortunately, I have just found out in the last 3 months that I may have made things worse. Most pilates instructors have no training for osteo. Last month, I found this wonderful trained physiotherapist who now devotes her practice to osteo, back injuries etc. She was mortified when she saw what I had been doing. I don't know if you know anything about pilates so will simply say that when you have spinal osteo, the best exercizes are performed while you're on your stomach.Eg:

    1.swimming; lying on your stomach, lifting your head off the floor and do a breast stroke (hands together/palms down, reach arms straight forward, to the side and elbow in to the start. Keep head straight. 2. Leg stretch - lying on your stomach with small pillow under your forehead to keep aligned, lift one leg a few inches, and reach hip & leg backwards as much as you can, put leg down and lift other leg repeat; 3.Shell stretch or Child's pose- get down on your knees, sit on your back legs, reach arms up & forward and curl over, head to the floor. 4. Sphinx lay on stomach, palms down in front of shoulders. Push up so that only your knees and lower legs are on the floor. This is good for your back and weight bearing for your wrists.

    Start off doing these - just a couple a day. If anything hurts for goodness sakes stop. These stretches should make you feel good. If they're not, then you're not doing it right. It's kind of hard to explain.

    I also do some exercizes while I'm sitting at the computer. I have a link for then but don't know if I'm allowed to post it.

     
    Old 10-07-2007, 06:16 PM   #11
    starfish81
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Jul 2007
    Location: Kamloops BC, Canada
    Posts: 243
    starfish81 HB User
    Re: Switching from Fosamax to Strontium

    Peppurr: Relax; you wouldn't have made your spinal bone density worse by doing Pilates. Probably the biggest "danger" of Pilates is injuring your low back by improperly performing an exercise. That's wonderful that you've found an instructor who devotes her energies to learning the routine from the standpoint of osteo.

    My lumbar BMD is -3.4 and I do all kinds of exercises (including Pilates) in hopes of strengthening my back muscles and improving my posture. I downhill ski the black diamonds, cycle, lift weights and hike too.

    People (even some doctors) hear my BMD score and look at me with horror...it's as if they think I'm going to crumble into a pile of dust right before their eyes. Touch wood, I've had some good falls and never fractured anything yet, although over the past few years I've dislocated a shoulder, torn knee cartilage and required surgery, and am currently battling tennis elbow and a couple of painful overused knees (what we do to keep in shape ). I've been reading these boards since July, and have come to the conclusion that a low BMD score isn't a good indicator of fracture risk.

    It sounds as if you've thought this out and are taking some positive steps. Good for you! Do keep us posted as to how your doctors appointment goes.
    P.S. I agree with you 100% about our health-care system, although it's really not much better across the border either.

     
    Old 10-07-2007, 08:14 PM   #12
    peppurr
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    peppurr's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2007
    Location: Canada
    Posts: 158
    peppurr HB User
    Re: Switching from Fosamax to Strontium

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by starfish81 View Post
    Peppurr: Relax; you wouldn't have made your spinal bone density worse by doing Pilates. Probably the biggest "danger" of Pilates is injuring your low back by improperly performing an exercise. That's wonderful that you've found an instructor who devotes her energies to learning the routine from the standpoint of osteo.

    My lumbar BMD is -3.4 and I do all kinds of exercises (including Pilates) in hopes of strengthening my back muscles and improving my posture. I downhill ski the black diamonds, cycle, lift weights and hike too.

    People (even some doctors) hear my BMD score and look at me with horror...it's as if they think I'm going to crumble into a pile of dust right before their eyes. Touch wood, I've had some good falls and never fractured anything yet, although over the past few years I've dislocated a shoulder, torn knee cartilage and required surgery, and am currently battling tennis elbow and a couple of painful overused knees (what we do to keep in shape ). I've been reading these boards since July, and have come to the conclusion that a low BMD score isn't a good indicator of fracture risk.

    It sounds as if you've thought this out and are taking some positive steps. Good for you! Do keep us posted as to how your doctors appointment goes.
    P.S. I agree with you 100% about our health-care system, although it's really not much better across the border either.
    OK....got my feet up....am relaxing! And I've been freaking out because of my -2.8! Not any more!!! Thanks sooo much for your post! I remember the first time I found out I had graduated to osteoporosis. The doctor looked at me like I had the plague - all doom and gloom so maybe that's where I'm coming from!

    Since reading this board, I have a different attitude. My eyes actually popped out when I read about your fitness regime! KUDOS to you! I wish you well with your tennis elbow and knees!

    I'm still not sure about the low BD score and fractures though. I had never broken a bone in my life until 2 yrs ago. In Nov '04 I had a freak accident where I got hit in the head by one of those old-fashioned garage doors without a sensor. Got slammed to the ground, and ended up with a hairline fracture in one foot. One year later, I was crossing a street and got hit by a car. Knocked over and broke my leg (another hairline fracture) and nose.

    Hard to know for sure, but it could be the bones broke because of thinning. I am otherwise a very healthy person.

    Happy Thanksgiving to you!!

    Last edited by peppurr; 10-07-2007 at 08:16 PM.

     
    Old 10-08-2007, 05:53 AM   #13
    starfish81
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Jul 2007
    Location: Kamloops BC, Canada
    Posts: 243
    starfish81 HB User
    Re: Switching from Fosamax to Strontium

    Glad to be of help Peppurr; that's what these boards are all about . You had mentioned that you were uncertain what to make of your recent fractures, i.e. could they be due to low BMD. Based on my own experience with low BMD, I think I can shed some light on this for you too.

    First of all, the true definition of osteoporosis (not the current definition-brought to us courtesy of the pharmaceutical industry-but the original one) includes a history of low impact fractures. A recent poster to these boards said she broke an ankle jumping from a height of 1 foot. That's a low impact fracture. By contrast, your fractures both sound pretty high-impact; i.e. even someone with "normal" BMD would, in all likelihood, have suffered the same fate given the circumstances.

    Secondly, most DEXA machines give a lumbar BMD reading of a single number, in your case -2.8. When I was having all my readings done, I assumed that that # was indicative of the whole spine, and probably the whole body too. Then I went to an age-management clinic in the US because I wanted to try growth hormone injections in hopes of increasing my BMD. At that time, my BMD as taken in Canada was -2.9. Well, these places have newer DEXA machines (hey, they even print out in colour ) that print out each individual lumbar vertebra. And guess what? I was indeed -2.9......in 2 out of 5 vertebrae! The others were better-not ideal, but something like -1.9. And here I was thinking all these years that my whole spine is disintegrating!

    And, this machine also gave a "total body" BMD, which I assume is an average of all bones. Mine was -0.2! So I asked the doctor there about this, and he confirmed that the lumbar region is usually the lowest in density so that's why they use it. Translate: having "osteoporosis" of the lumbar region doesn't necessarily mean you have it everywhere else.

    There are some unfortunate souls on these boards who do have true osteoporosis (i.e. have suffered low impact fractures and vertebral compression) and have to be careful in their daily activities as a result. My heart goes out to them, and I hope that a safe and effective remedy is soon available for them.

    Peppurr, I hope this info has been reassuring to you. You've got a "list" for your doctor....go for it girl !

     
    Old 10-08-2007, 06:41 AM   #14
    turtlelady
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    turtlelady's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2007
    Location: Mt Vernon, NY USA
    Posts: 106
    turtlelady HB Userturtlelady HB Userturtlelady HB User
    Re: Switching from Fosamax to Strontium

    I'll put in my two cents as one of those with "true" osteoporosis. My lumbar t score was an unimpressive -2.6. I fractured five vertebrae doing absolutely nothing. Both my parents had compression fractures and I was told that was a far more accurate predictor of my future. Dexa scans are of only limited use. There is so much variation from one machine to the next, compounded with conditions which can obscure the results (i was told my score was so "good" because of my arthritis), you've got to take your results with a rather sizable grain of salt. Good luck!

     
    Old 10-08-2007, 02:21 PM   #15
    peppurr
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    peppurr's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2007
    Location: Canada
    Posts: 158
    peppurr HB User
    Re: Switching from Fosamax to Strontium

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by starfish81 View Post

    ***respectfully snipped for space***

    First of all, the true definition of osteoporosis (not the current definition-brought to us courtesy of the pharmaceutical industry-but the original one) includes a history of low impact fractures. A recent poster to these boards said she broke an ankle jumping from a height of 1 foot. That's a low impact fracture. By contrast, your fractures both sound pretty high-impact; i.e. even someone with "normal" BMD would, in all likelihood, have suffered the same fate given the circumstances. Very true. You know when my doctor referred to my fractures, it was like "hmmmm, serious stuff here". And then when I went for the scan, the technician said the same thing as you!

    Secondly, most DEXA machines give a lumbar BMD reading of a single number, in your case -2.8. When I was having all my readings done, I assumed that that # was indicative of the whole spine, and probably the whole body too. Then I went to an age-management clinic in the US because I wanted to try growth hormone injections in hopes of increasing my BMD. At that time, my BMD as taken in Canada was -2.9. Well, these places have newer DEXA machines (hey, they even print out in colour ) that print out each individual lumbar vertebra. And guess what? I was indeed -2.9......in 2 out of 5 vertebrae! Very, very interesting!!The others were better-not ideal, but something like -1.9. And here I was thinking all these years that my whole spine is disintegrating! This is exactly how I was feeling!

    And, this machine also gave a "total body" BMD, which I assume is an average of all bones. Mine was -0.2! Wow!So I asked the doctor there about this, and he confirmed that the lumbar region is usually the lowest in density so that's why they use it. Translate: having "osteoporosis" of the lumbar region doesn't necessarily mean you have it everywhere else.Geez - why can't OUR doctors tell us this?!! Not one bit of reassurance from mine!
    This is very reassuring. Thank you for taking the time to post this for me. This is unbelievable. Ya know, I have always been under the impression that when a person with osteopororis has a fall and fractyre, the bone is breaking first and therefore causing the fall. Yes...those fractures of mine were as a direct result of the fall. No question! Probably only a hairline because of thinning bones. Sheesh!

    Thank you for making me feel a whole lot better today!

     
    Closed Thread

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
    Question about Fosamax dosage...... pbeehive Osteoporosis 6 02-01-2009 08:20 PM
    Anyone experienced with Didrocal (like Fosamax)... jaykay56 Osteoporosis 11 11-01-2008 10:31 PM
    Newly Diagnosed prescribed Fosamax????? Clerklady Osteoporosis 15 01-25-2008 10:04 AM
    Re: Side Effects of Fosamax maxsam Osteoporosis 7 01-03-2008 04:38 AM
    Taking strontium & Fosamax both - ok? Helen C. Osteoporosis 8 02-11-2007 09:08 AM
    Fosamax Side Effects shawngo Osteoporosis 58 11-12-2006 12:10 PM
    Fosamax/Actonel users: Any heart flutters?? jukeboy56 Osteoporosis 2 09-16-2005 05:30 PM
    Most DON'T Need Fosamax! workitout Osteoporosis 11 07-03-2003 07:41 AM




    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:52 PM.





    © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!