It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• Boron

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-06-2007, 04:45 PM   #1
    mbeth50
    (female)

mbeth50 HB User
    Boron

Hi everyone,
    Just read some info lthat boron helps build bone...Anyone hear about this or try this mineral???Alays lookingfor something else to add to mix of calcium, magnesium, K2, D3 and strontium!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2007, 05:29 PM   #2
    Canna
    (female)

Canna HB User
    Smile Re: Boron

Mbeth, you have raised a good point on boron. I did a ****** search and found out that it is am important trace mineral as it helps calcium absorption. Also, that it relieves joint pain... found in fruits and veggies and if deficient in Vitamin D which I am.. it helps support calcium absorption. The estimated daily intake is anywhere from 0.5mg to 3 mg with 1 - 2 being average. Hopefully some people that are using it will come forward and give some information!!

Old 12-07-2007, 04:28 AM   #3
    jacal5
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jacal5 HB Userjacal5 HB User
    Re: Boron

My multi-vitamin contains 2 mgs. of boron, so perhaps other posters are getting it in their multi-vitamin tablet also.

Old 12-07-2007, 12:08 PM   #4
    Myth
    (female)

Myth HB User

the calcium complex I take has added boron , as I understand it boron is a mineral essential to bone health as it helps reduce loss of calcium & magnesium in urine and in so doing it helps with absorption, it also elevates levels of serum estrogen and ionized calcium and is antiinflammatory (good for arthritis) . there is no established RDA for boron but 3mg a day is recommended...bones are a complex mix of many minerals & every little bit helps

Myth

Old 12-07-2007, 01:18 PM   #5
    DesertBloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User

Hi All: You are all right on your assesments of boron. You need to be careful with it if you are taking hormones though. Boron can raise you estradiol/testosterone levels, so if you are taking hormones with it have your levels checked. Since boron can simulate hormone action, in the body, it can cause an increase in the "chance" of getting breast/uterine cancer or cysts.

I take boron and have a low count on estradiol, plus I also take a low dose of hormones. I'm being checked more often for uterine and breast probs because of the hormones I take and have my hormone level tested every couple of months.

The FDA hasn't approved the amount that an individual should take, but from what I've read you're all right on the amount (3 mg), except I've heard of taking up to 10 mgs, but I can't recommend that to anyone at this point. Most good multiples have some boron in it, and I also take it for osteoarthritis, which we all know is closely linked to osteoporosis. I can't say it's doing anything for the joint pain, but I've heard others claim it helps.

Good luck to you all....

Old 12-07-2007, 01:31 PM   #6
    phylwill1152
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

I just checked the Walgreen over 50 multivitamin i take. It contains 150 mcg. boron. I guess if we are all taking mutli we're getting it. Nice to know i don't have to buy another pill to take. As long as we're talking about vitamins can someone tell me if its ok to take all the vitamin supplements at one time? In addition to the mutli i take the once a day calcium 1000/D, 400 mg. D3, a once a day fish oil cap. and an extra 500 mg. of mag. I take them all after lunch so i'm ready for the strontium at bedtime. thanks..phyllis

Old 12-07-2007, 02:01 PM   #7
    Aleta145
    (female)

Aleta145 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by phylwill1152 View Post
    As long as we're talking about vitamins can someone tell me if its ok to take all the vitamin supplements at one time? In addition to the mutli i take the once a day calcium 1000/D, 400 mg. D3, a once a day fish oil cap. and an extra 500 mg. of mag. I take them all after lunch so i'm ready for the strontium at bedtime. thanks..phyllis
    Hi Phyllis,

I thought I read somewhere that you can only absorb 500 mg of calcium at a time, so if that's true, you might be peeing away part of your calcium dose.

We take a multivitamin with breakfast (Kirkland Mature Multi Vitamins & Minerals), and with each meal we take 500 mg OsCal+D and 250mg magnesium.

P.S. The multi has 300 mcg of Boron.

Last edited by Aleta145; 12-07-2007 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Added P.S.

Old 12-07-2007, 02:05 PM   #8
    Canna
    (female)

Canna HB User

Phyllis .. that is a good question re: taking all together.. hopefully someone can come up with a safe answer. Was wondering with your multi.. does it contain high amounts of vitamin A. I am looking for a good multi but some of them contain high contents of Vitamin A which research shows can slow the absorption of calcium. So hard to keep up with all the info out there but my doc did also mention not to get toooo much vitamin A if you got OP

Old 12-07-2007, 02:09 PM   #9
    DesertBloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi Phyllis: Are you taking a time released calcium/d? I don't think I've ever seen calcium bottled that way, except in multiples. Anyway your body can only absorb 500 mg at a time of calcium, so if you can split it up at breakfast and lunch you'll be sure to get all of it. Vitamin D can be taken all at once, so you're okay on that, as long as your D levels are okay. This would be up to you but the new RDA on D is 1000 IU's a day. Of course when you figure that amount calculate your dietary intake of D plus sun exposure. Many think that as we age we don't make as much D from sun, so depending on how you feel about that, figure that in as well if you want to.

On the topic of boron, it's in fruits, vegetables, legumes and nuts, so if you are eating these things your getting it anyway. The average american diet (whatever that is) contains 1 mg of boron. If you eat 1 serving of raisins, prunes, or nuts you'll get 3 mgs of boron. If you eat raisins, look at the single serving boxes and it say's 3 mgs of boron. Boron is also in some tap water and of course our soil. I've never checked the amount in bottled water, if they add it, I'm not sure about that.

Hope you're doing well...

Last edited by DesertBloom; 12-07-2007 at 02:38 PM.

Old 12-07-2007, 02:54 PM   #10
    mbeth50
    (female)

mbeth50 HB User

ummm not in my multi (womens one a day) and not in my calciums..Maybe I should look for those that include it! Thanks...

Old 12-07-2007, 02:57 PM   #11
    DesertBloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi Canna: What do you consider a high amount of A? Almost all multiples have 100% of the RDA for A in them so I'm wondering how much is too much on A. I've always taken multiples that have both fat and water soluable vitamins in them so I get A, D etc with the water soluable vits.

I have a slightly high calcium count and had to reduce my intake to dietary only, and I'll tell you it was almost impossible to find a multi with no or low calcium in it. After about a year looking for something, I found a multi with only 25 mgs of calcium in it. If you are concerned about the amount of A in your multi, you could look around like I did and most likely find something that is lower in A. I take a maximum green multi-time released, so it's source of vits is green foods. It has an unusual mix of things that I like and it doesn't bother my stomach like some do. The main reason I chose it was the low cal content, but it has things like: ginkgo, lutein, lycopein, boron, silicon (which should be taken with boron) alpha lipoic acid, oat bran flour, fermented beans (garbanzo, kidney beans etc). Anyway the point of this ramble is you can find multi with just about any amount of things in it if you look long enough, and until you find what you want, unfortunately, until you do, you have to take all this stuff seperately, which I don't recommend. The only thing you really need to space out is calcium and as you said maybe A, but I don't do that with A because my multi has A in it. Good luck finding what you need.

Last edited by DesertBloom; 12-07-2007 at 02:59 PM.

Old 12-07-2007, 04:47 PM   #12
    sunny47
    (female)

sunny47 HB User

I just checked my multi-vit (Wal-Mart's equilivant to Centrum with Lycopene) and it had 150 mcg Boron. Suprising what is in them when you really look.

sunny47

Old 12-07-2007, 05:00 PM   #13
    phylwill1152
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

Hi everyone...the calcium i'm taking is called EZCal 1000/D by Windmill Health Products. Its formulated to be taken in one dose. When i first found it i ask the phamacist it was ok to take a days worth at one time and she told me that your body only absorbs what you need for that day so the once a day formulation is ok to use. i've had labs since starting it and my calcium level was good. I was glad to find the once a day calcium...i take synthroid when i get up which can't be taken near calcium and stontium at bedtime which also can't be taken near calclium. the once a day has made my life a lot eaier since i don't have to space two more pills out between those two.

The vitamin A in the walgreen multi is 70% RDA with 29% beta carotene.I like this multi and will get more when i run out. It has all the basics including ginko and other herbs as well as lutine and lycopene. Even better is that it doesn't have mega doses of anything. I like to keep things as simple as possible. have a good weekend everyone...take care...phyllis

Old 12-07-2007, 05:53 PM   #14
    Canna
    (female)

Canna HB User

hi DessertBloom... I will try and explain what I know about Vitamin A

Excessive vitamin A intake is associated with an increased risk of fracture. Women who consumed at least 3000 mcg a day were 48 % more likely to have a hip fracture compared to women whose daily intake was less than 1250 mcg a day which is equal to 4125 IU per day. Retinol is one of the active forms of Vitamin A and with high blood levels of rentinol... there is a greater fracture risk as retinol interferes with the activity of Vitamin D.
    The RDA for women is 2310 IU including foods and after I checked... most multi's are way up there in Vitamin A. Then if too much gets stored in blood and levels become toxic.. it interfers with calcium and vitamin D. There are animal sources called retinol and veggie sources called carotenes in foods and apparently the animal sources can be toxic if your body happens to store it up. ........... That's the best explanation i can give and yes it is confusing as we were lead to believe that all vitamins were good for our bodies.

Old 12-07-2007, 06:35 PM   #15
    mbeth50
    (female)

mbeth50 HB User

Hi Phyllis,
    Is EZ cal the only calcium you take all day? I keep on forgetting to take all these pills (still) SO I am lookingfor the easiest way to take them all..synthroid around 6 am and everythin else to follow with strontium at night. I usually remeber totake th K2 and mag with dinner.
    Do you just take EZ cal in am and multi with lunch? Does that give you 1600 calcium and 800+ D3???
    thanks...
    m

Closed Thread