It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• Get your Vit d level tested

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-13-2007, 02:05 PM   #1
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User
    Get your Vit d level tested

We have covered vit d so much here. Right now I have nothing more to add, except we are getting in the zone, esp. those of us in the north, where our vit d level will do its seasonal drop. So, be sure to get your vit d level checked soon. Even if you tested in summer, you are likely to drop like the rest of us during the winter if in a high lattitude. Best place for vit d info I have found is the vitamin d council.Vit d's importance for our bones is huge, and adequate vit d may significantly reduce risk of various cancers. It is too important to just let go.And once down, not so easy /quick to move up. Better to not have it drop!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2007, 07:41 PM   #2
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
    Re: Get your Vit d level tested

Do you think that one gets enough Vit D from a weak sun or on a cold, sunny day if your outside walking for example for 1/2 hour or so?

Old 12-13-2007, 08:56 PM   #3
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User

Taape-Definitely Not if you live in the northern U.S. From the book Strong Women , Strong Bones-
    Sunlight is too weak for Vtamin D synthesis from November through February if you live above the 42nd parallel (pg.118)
    When you look at a map , what you would call northern US is above 42nd.

Old 12-13-2007, 09:31 PM   #4
    Myth
    (female)

Myth HB User

timely reminder osteoblast, we should have vit D levels checked regularly
    my endo says that as we age we are less able to absorb vit D from the sun.
    that might be connection with age & osteoporosis

Myth

Old 12-14-2007, 09:23 AM   #5
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User

Myth-Your endo is right. Also from Strong Women, Strong Bones ( p. 118)-Miriam E. Nelson Ph.D Tufts University
    If a 65 year old woman and her 35 year old daughter take a ten minute walk on a sunny day, the mother's skin will manufacture only a third of the amount of vitamin d that her daughter's does.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:29 PM   #6
    osteopenia1
    (female)

osteopenia1 HB User

How do you get your doctor to do a vitamin D test? When I asked for it, he brushed me off saying as long as you get 600 mg a day that's ok.

Old 12-14-2007, 08:09 PM   #7
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User

Osteopenia-I see you live in Wisconsin and perhaps you have osteopenia given your healthboard name. Just given these two factors, if I were you I would not take your doctor's refusal . Maybe ask one more time . Tell him it is important to you and if he doesn't agree, ask yourself what that means to you. Personally, if my doctor refused a test which I requested esp. one so simple as vit d and with no good reason I would be ready to find another doctor.Whose interest is he serving , his, the hmo? I have seen estimates that the majority of people in the northern US have vit d deficiency in winter and as this is linked to osteoporosis it is something you want to avoid. I think your doctor is wrong that 600 iu's is adequate and his lack of interest in checking your level is not based on current vitamin d knowledge. If you go to the vitamin d council , you will see world class phd.s and md's who absolutely do not agree with your docs certainty that your levels would be ok in the winter. It probably wouldn't take you more than 15 minutes to get the latest scientific thinking from the vitamin d council and then perhaps fax it or drop it off at the docs with your request. Let us know how it goes.

Old 12-15-2007, 02:49 AM   #8
    PikaB
    (male)

PikaB HB User

Even if you are in a sunny state, and getting lots of sun, that still doesn't mean you are getting enough D. I was getting 15-30 minutes of torso and leg sun every day, plus a good amount of D in my diet. Six months ago my endo tested me for Vitamin D for the first time, and found my level was low, so I've been taking an additional 1500 per day in supplements. I'm 61 years old.

Last edited by PikaB; 12-15-2007 at 02:50 AM.

Old 12-15-2007, 10:38 AM   #9
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User

Pika B-Hi!I hope you are doing well. I am glad you chimed in. If I hadn't already read about this phenomenon , that age reduces ability to sythesize D , I would have thought you would absolutely have no possibility of a vitamin d issue living in Arizona and getting daily sun exposure.Do you recall what your d level was at when tested?
    Have you finished your forteo treatment yet? Have you made a decision about your next move?One angle I am now pursuing is the hormone situation. I am 55 and yes , there have been changes. But, of course, it is an issue with men as well I believe. I just wanted to put the idea out there. I think I previously mentioned in my research I saw that doctors at the Univer of Oregon are very focused on male osteoporosis and the role of male hormones. I believe one of the lead medical doctors is Orlow or Orloff, probably it would be an easy search but let me know if I could help you at all ,if you have any interest. Not that I would see you would want to go to Oregon , but maybe you would be interested in reading about their research projects.

Old 12-15-2007, 07:34 PM   #10
    PikaB
    (male)

PikaB HB User

osteoblast: I don't recall exactly what my Vitamin D level was, but I recall that it was not close to the borderline. I still have 3 months of Forteo to go, and will decide on my next treatment at that time (and after next DEXA). But I would rather break free of prescription medication.

Another Vitamin D note: If taking Vitamin D supplements, remember that Vitamin D is fat-soluble, so it should be taken with some sort of fatty food. If a person takes Vitamin D on an empty stomach, or just with orange juice, coffee, etc., the body will not absorb much of the D.

Old 12-16-2007, 04:23 PM   #11
    mbeth50
    (female)

mbeth50 HB User

Can you take too much Vit D??? Its in my Vit K pills, Its in my multi and it 's in my calcium!!!!Last tested (Sept) my levels were mid-range BUT thats before I added my Vit K2........

Old 12-16-2007, 07:12 PM   #12
    DesertBloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User
    Lightbulb Re: Get your Vit d level tested

Hi All: I ran across some interesting info on Vitamin D and thought I would pass it along. I don't believe you can overdose on Vitamin D unless you took some amount way over the TL (tolerable limit). Tolerable limits are discussed in the first link and a suggestion on how much the RDA should be now, since it is widely believed that the amount that has been suggested for over 30 years is way too low.

I just recently got back a very low reading on D, 25 and will now have to rethink the amount that I take which is 1,000 IU's a day. In the past my D25 has always been normal, but my D 1,25 and calcium has gone up but only slightly.

I also live in the desert and have been told that the amount of sun we get is enough to cover my Vitamin D needs, well... baloney

Thanks to Osteo for bringing up this topic, because I do believe it is under discussed. We all think about calcium, magnesium, K, B complex, multiples etc. but is our multiple sufficient in D???? Check out the second link on the study they did regarding hip fracture and vitamin D-very eye opening.

Have your levels checked like Osteo mentioned, it's an easy test, and no dr should refuse it, especially if you have osteoporosis or penia. My drs office just notified me last week to come in to discuss my D problem so we'll see what he comes up with to fix this. The thing that bothers me is if we don't stay on top of this stuff who will. My dr only wanted to check my D125 and ionized cal, but I asked for the D 25 test as well, since like calcium it regulates and is essential for so many important bodily functions to keep us alive and well. Normal for D at my lab is 32-100 ng/ml and my usually normal level is now at 8.1, and I've made no changes in supplementation or diet, but I'm getting less sun.

Good luck to all of you on your chosen osteo path (accidental pun).

If you can't get to the second article here's the title from JAMA:

"Fracture Prevention With Vitamin D Supplementation
    A Meta-analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials"

Heike A. Bischoff-Ferrari, MD, MPH; Walter C. Willett, DrPH; John B. Wong, MD; Edward Giovannucci, ScD; Thomas Dietrich, MPH; Bess Dawson-Hughes, MD

JAMA. 2005;293:2257-2264.

[url]http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/85/3/649[/url]

[url]http://jama.********.org/cgi/content/abstract/293/18/2257[/url]

Last edited by DesertBloom; 12-16-2007 at 07:27 PM. Reason: added info

Old 12-16-2007, 08:05 PM   #13
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User

Desert Bloom-nice post, very informative! I am guessing your doc will want you to do the mega dose D2. It is the only high dose script vit d . Check out what the vitamin d council has to say though about D2 before you take the script. As I mentioned I am taking a D3 10,000 IU 3x a week until it goes higher than it is now which is 44.The one I take is in an oil suspension . Besides the vit d audio lecture which I will add as soon as I can , I also have a journal article I will give info on that has a chart about D2 and D3 and how quickly they work and maintain your vit d level. Quite interesting.

Everybody-it is so true that if we don't push for adequate vit d testing , most doctors are probably not going to do what is needed on their own. Or, maybe they will think one time a year is adequate. Based on my experience one time a year is just not adequate because of seasonal variation. Maybe once you get to know what you need , based on repeated testing at various intervals, then you will know how much you need to sustain a year round healthy level.Also I think many docs have no idea of the current research being done that shows higher levels of supplementation are needed. And, add to that there are some doctors who may think your level is adequate even when you are at the bottom of the range. Bottom of range in my reading is not good enough. Again , at the risk of saying this one too many times, check out the vitamin d council for the current thinking on this subject by leading md's and ph.d.'s who have spent their careers studying vitamin d.

Last edited by osteoblast; 12-16-2007 at 08:14 PM.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:27 PM   #14
    rbbb
    (male)

rbbb HB Userrbbb HB Userrbbb HB User
    Re: Get your Vit d level tested (1,25D testing)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DesertBloom View Post
    I just recently got back a very low reading on D, 25 and will now have to rethink the amount that I take which is 1,000 IU's a day. In the past my D25 has always been normal, but my D 1,25 and calcium has gone up but only slightly.

The thing that bothers me is if we don't stay on top of this stuff who will. My dr only wanted to check my D125 and ionized cal, but I asked for the D 25 test as well, since like calcium it regulates and is essential for so many important bodily functions to keep us alive and well.
    DB,
    That is great that you actually got your 1,25D levels tested -- almost no one does that but it is much more important than checking regular 25,D levels and can tell you much more. Unfortunately a lot of labs and lab techs can do a poor job handling the sample for 1,25D causing it to degrade and give lower readings etc. Quest Labs is supposed to be the best and LabC shld be avoided since they don't care if the sample is frozen or not (it shld be).

What 1,25D level did you get ???

jrb

Last edited by rbbb; 12-16-2007 at 08:29 PM.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:41 PM   #15
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User
    Re: Get your Vit d level tested (1,25D testing)

RBBB- I also had both d levels tested recently. The d 1,25 was around 80 and the d 25 was 44. Do you know the significance of a high d 1,25. Both DesertBloom and I are on forteo, the drug insert says the drug will cause d 1,25 to go up by 19% and the d25 to go down by exactly the same amount-19%. Actually my d 1,25 almost doubled and my d25 has gone up a bit. But I am now on high doses of D3. When I was not on the high dose of D3 my level dropped . Anyway, if you understand vit d metabolism could you speculate as to why a drug would raise one and lower the other d test??

Closed Thread