It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• Can someone tell me about their experience with Reclast?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-14-2008, 08:40 AM   #1
    jello5947
    (female)

jello5947 HB User
    Can someone tell me about their experience with Reclast?

I have just finished taking Forteo for 2 years and I am thinking about Reclast as my next option. Could you share with me your thoughts on this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2008, 09:36 PM   #2
    Aleta145
    (female)

Aleta145 HB User
    Re: Can someone tell me about their experience with Reclast?

Hello Jello

I don't know of any regular posters here who have had Reclast (AKA Zometa) infusions, but you do realize that it's a bisphosphonate, right? Like Fosamax and Actonel, only more powerful. The drug can cause osteonecrosis of the jaw, so if I were you I'd give it very careful consideration. In fact, my oncologist prescribed it for me, but after doing the research I decided to take my chances with Evista instead.

I would like to hear more about your experience with Forteo. Did you have any side effects? How were your BMD scores before and after? I ask because my husband's doctor is urging him to switch from Fosamax to Forteo.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:21 AM   #3
    mitsy
    (female)

mitsy HB Usermitsy HB User

Don't take reclast. It used to be called Zometa and to go around the problem that it causes they renamed it. It causes osteonecrosis of the jaw.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:24 AM   #4
    Aleta145
    (female)

Aleta145 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mitsy View Post
    Don't take reclast. It used to be called Zometa and to go around the problem that it causes they renamed it. It causes osteonecrosis of the jaw.
    Well, actually, Novartis (the maker of Zoledronic Acid, which is the active ingredient) markets the same drug under both brand names, depending on what Dx it's being prescribed for. Reclast is for Paget's Disease. Zometa is for bone cancer. They don't market Reclast or Zometa towards osteoporosis patients at all. They have Miacalcin for that.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:46 PM   #5
    Rosaflor
    (female)

Rosaflor HB User

Reclast was approved by the FDA in August 2007 for osteoporosis. In Europe it's called Aclasta and when it's used for bone cancer it's called Zometa but it's the same drug. For osteoporosis the risk factors and cost appear to be about the same as for the oral drugs like Fosamax and Boniva. Reclast is given in a 15 minute IV infusion once a year for three years. I have just been through two weeks of tests to see if they will give me Reclast and today I got the go-ahead. If you ****** Reclast you can read all about it. Tomorrow I will schedule the infusion then I can answer questions. Stay tuned. BTW, I've also been prescribed Ergocalciferol (mega-Vitamin D): does anyone have advice? Very glad to find this board.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:55 PM   #6
    Rosaflor
    (female)

Rosaflor HB User

Fosamax and Boniva are also associated with osteonecrosis of the jaw (ONJ). The name of the search engine that starts with G but gets bleeped out on this board will find you many hits on the subject. All of the bisphosphonates are also known to increase risk of heart arrhythmias. No freebies here. But at this point I have something like a 99% probability of breaking a hip or a vertebra so I feel I have to accept treatment. I have refused the orals because so many people get esophageal ulceration and hemorrhage. My friend forgot to stay upright after taking her Fosamax---she dropped something and bent over to pick it up---and soon started throwing up blood. Scares me.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:34 PM   #7
    debbi26
    (female)

debbi26 HB User

How are you tolerating Evista???? I am about to make a choice Boniva or Evista - or do nothing!! I just had a DEXA and was told OTC jus won't cut it - reading horrifying reviews about these two choices and feel like doing NOTHING! Have you been ok with Evista?

Old 01-25-2008, 09:21 PM   #8
    suggi
    Veteran
    (female)

suggi HB User

Hi

I have been on Evista with no side effects although it does not build bone. That is all I can take for the osteo (10.9% below fracture level). Stay away from Fosamax and family as everyone is right. More and more women are getting ONR and that is horrible. The IV just brings it on faster than the pill.

Closed Thread