It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• Forteo and dementia

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-14-2008, 12:15 PM   #1
    Oasis_rest
    (female)

Oasis_rest HB User
    Forteo and dementia

My 89 year old mother has advanced dementia and has just been diagnosed with osteoporosis. I have just started giving her fosamax, but the doctor wants her to take forteo. Has anyone had experience with forteo and dementia. I'm concerned about the side effects since she can't tell me if she is having any.

Deb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2008, 12:45 PM   #2
    DesertBloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User
    Re: Forteo and dementia

Hi Oasis: I'm on my 19 mo of forteo with No side effects. Are you asking if forteo causes demetia or if having dementia makes it difficult to take? Below is a link that explains the drug, I never heard of it making dementia worse, but who knows. Look at the page where it list the side effects, and see. It mentions that no additional side effects were seen in geriatric patients. Will you be giving her the shot if you decide to use this? As you know it's a daily shot (really easy to do) that continues for 24 mos. The FDA hasn't approved it's use beyond the 2 years. I've had wonderful results and no problems, but everyone is different.

Good luck to your Mom and let us know if you need anything else.

How the drug works:

[url]http://www.ccjm.org/pdffiles/DEAL703.PDF#search=%22forteo%20and%20ost eosarcoma%22[/url]

Side Effects:geriatric use pg: 15, side effects pg: 15-16

[url]http://pi.lilly.com/us/forteo-pi.pdf[/url]

Old 01-14-2008, 04:45 PM   #3
    Turquoise
    (female)

Turquoise HB User

Oasis:
    Why is the doctor prescribing Forteo? What are her T scores and has she sustained non traumatic fractures? Forteo is a 2 year commitment with followup meds. With advanced dementia, she won't be able to administer the daily injections herself. How is your mother's health besides the dementia? I think you have to ask yourself how will the results of the forteo treatment will impact the quality of her life.

My MIL is 88 and has advanced dementia. She is in good Physical condition but each time the doctors write a new Rx we make sure it's necessary and will not conflict with all the other meds she is taking.

Good luck with your decision.
    Turquoise

Old 01-15-2008, 07:21 AM   #4
    Oasis_rest
    (female)

Oasis_rest HB User

Thanks much for your replies. DesertBloom, it was good to hear that you've had no side effects and have had good results.

Mother's T-scores are: -3.4 for the lumbar spine, minus 2.9 for the femoral neck left hip, -2.1 for the total left hip. She is healing (using a brace) from a comopression fracture in her spine at T-9 (about mid-back).

I was wondering if anyone had dealt with the forteo and advanced dementia and how the caregiver dealt with the side effects if the patient can't quite say what is wrong, i.e. my Mother can't tell me she has leg pain, or a migraine or flu-like symptoms, etc. I have to rely on my and her sitters' intuition or medical tests.

She still likes to walk, but even though she doesn't seem to be in much pain, her weak back makes it more difficult. Her physical health has been pretty good.

Thanks for any experience you might have.

Deb

Old 01-15-2008, 08:48 AM   #5
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User

Oasis- I am 55 and on forteo now for about 15 months. My experience was that I had dizziness after the shot. This is a listed side effect. For me it was quite troublesome. I would generally feel that I should lie down for awhile after the shot.Also it impacted my appetite and after the shot for a few hrs. I had very little interest in food, and the smell of food was even sort of sickening to me. At that time, I was taking the shot at about 3:00 or 4:00 in the afternoon. I then changed to taking the shot immediately before getting into bed after I had done everything I needed to- teeth brushed etc. The side effects no longer are a bother. I just fall asleep and I sleep through any discomfort. From what I understand now , this is generally the advised time to do the shot. Others may pipe in if this is not their understanding. Recently there was a poster here who had dizziness so severe that she was going to have to quit because she was worried about driving or falling. So, if your mom experienced dizziness that made her unsteady this would not be helpful to her situation. I just wanted to add this to say how giving the shot right before bed may be helpful. Of course with the elderly , then there is the issue of getting up to go to the bathroom. I wish you and your mom luck with this! Thankfully she is not in pain from her compression factor and otherwise doing pretty well.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:03 PM   #6
    Turquoise
    (female)

Turquoise HB User

Oasis:
    You might try going on the Alz. Disease and Dementia message board to ask about the Forteo. I go on that board occasionally and all kinds of medication questions are asked and answered.
    Turquoise

Old 01-22-2008, 01:49 PM   #7
    sunstateshirley
    (female)

sunstateshirley HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Turquoise View Post
    Oasis:
    Why is the doctor prescribing Forteo? What are her T scores and has she sustained non traumatic fractures? Forteo is a 2 year commitment with followup meds. With advanced dementia, she won't be able to administer the daily injections herself. How is your mother's health besides the dementia? I think you have to ask yourself how will the results of the forteo treatment will impact the quality of her life.

My MIL is 88 and has advanced dementia. She is in good Physical condition but each time the doctors write a new Rx we make sure it's necessary and will not conflict with all the other meds she is taking.

Good luck with your decision.
    Turquoise

Closed Thread