It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• Progesterone and Osteoporosis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-26-2008, 10:06 AM   #1
    Canna
    (female)

Canna HB User
    Question Progesterone and Osteoporosis

Wondering if any menopausal posters are on natural progesterone cream to help with bones. I read an old article by Dr. John Lee who said that most women do not have enough of progesterone but too much estrogen. According to one of his studies the women on progesterone had better bone density?? Any thoughts??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2008, 03:04 PM   #2
    deanana
    (female)

deanana HB User
    Re: Progesterone and Osteoporosis

Hi, Canna... Yes, I'm using natural progesterone, since my endo (for hypothyroidism) insisted on doing something (besides exercise, calcium, etc.) to keep osteopenia from progressing to osteoporosis. (Orginally Actonel was recommended as option 1 and hormones as option 2, but I chose "door # 2", specifically bio-identical hormones, prescribed not by the endo but by a physician specializing in bio-identical hormones). From all I've read (a lot!), natural progesterone is the key hormone for minimizing bone loss (more important than estrogen). Here's what one ob/gyn (author of Natural Hormone Balance for Women) says: "Progesterone is an unheralded protector of female bones. The hormone stimulates new bone cell growth and at the same time promotes old bone cell removal. By comparison, estrogen slows down both the growth of new bone tissue formation and the removal of old bone. Recognition of the beneficial role of progesterone has been lost in the calcium mania that permeates our society. Some researchers have even suggested that menopausal osteoporosis may be in part a progesterone deficiencey disease. For sure, we need more research here and also to brnig the bone-building promise of progesterone to women's attention."
    However, there are many natural progesterone creams marketed on the internet that may or may not be all they should be (partly why the FDA & drug companies are trying to reduce access to bio-identical hormones), which is why I prefer to work with a physician specializing in natural hormones and with the compounding pharmacy she recommends. Plus, I'm not sure if progesterone would be as effective in osteoporosis as in osteopenia -- at that point more may be necessary. In any case, contrary to what many doctors say ("hormones are hormones"), natural progesterone is not to be confused with synthetic progestins -- while both may help bones, most (other than drug companies and many doctors) would say that synthetic hormones have many more potential negative effects.
    Hope that's of some help!

Old 01-26-2008, 03:48 PM   #3
    Canna
    (female)

Canna HB User
    Re: Progesterone and Osteoporosis

Thank you Deanna.. amazing to read that researchers suggest that menopausal Osteoporosis may be a part of progesterone deficiency. It certainly seems like it hits women during Menopause so there must be a connection. I am considering using progestrone cream just got to get to the doctor etc.

Closed Thread