It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• Yoga and Osteoporosis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-10-2008, 06:04 AM   #1
    podiecat
    (female)

podiecat HB User
    Yoga and Osteoporosis

Hi All,

The cabin fever from being trapped in my house with four feet of snow in my driveway forced me to finally get my but in gear and join the gym. In addition to machines, they also have classes of yoga and more. It does make me nervous because they don't seem to have any concept of osteo so I need to go in there very clear about how much I can do and what I must do.

Tomorrow morning I'm going to start the gentle yoga class. I know I'm not supposed to do flexing of my torso or twisting, but I do remember that there is plenty of that in yoga. I'm 55 and my lumbar spine and femoral neck are my worst DEXA scores of -3.5 and -4. Do you think some very slow, gentle stretching and postures in those areas is okay in yoga? The thing is, I know that I move like that just living everyday!

I have also never done the circuit machines. I think with those it will be obvious what to avoid but I would love feedback.....

Thanks...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2008, 10:50 AM   #2
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
    Re: Yoga and Osteoporosis

I would like it would ok to do. I'm physically limited in the ways I can move my spine so if I join a class I just do what I can do especially if it's a class just for fun. Let us know how the class goes. I hope the snow melts soon so it's easier to get out doors.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:31 AM   #3
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User

Hi podiecat- Good for you in moving forward !!! Be sure to be careful when attending your class. DesertBloom was advised NO BLT- bending , lifting , twisting. With a spinal dexa like yours I was also told the same. Yoga is really a tough one because the yoga philosophy is to move your spine in the various directions. I have also been told by several doctors and phys therapists that yoga has so many moves to be avoided that you will find it easier to find another way to exercise/ relax.. But that doesn't mean that you cannot do alot , and alot that will strengthen and relax you as well. It was suggested to me that tai chi does not have the same risks with BLT . I have attended a few tai chi classes and have 2 cds- and what I have found is that 95% of the time your back is in an upright position AND you are standing . I have seen so called"gentle/easy yoga" on pbs and this was with a class of older people and the instructor had them bending over and twisting non stop. A safe yoga class for us would be possible- the teacher would have to construct it properly though, or if attending a regular class , you have to be the judge. And, then you would decide if on balance you are getting enough from the class or is it more frustrating because of what you shouldn't do. There has been research by Dr. M. Sinaki with Mayo that the forward bending action does contribute to compression fractures by crunching the weakened vertabrae .I know alot of people feel ticked off when they hear"don't do" but there are other ways of doing things and you don't have to feel limited- but rather careful. A good book to get that will show you safe everyday movements and safe exercise movements is by Sara Meeks called Walk Tall. Also she shows safe ways to strengthen the back extensor muscles which is very important. If you do some research on osteoporosis/ fractures/ back extensors/ - you will see research by Dr. M. Sinaki that indicates that the best way to strengthen extensors with minimizing risk of fracture is to be in the laying down position on your stomach. Lifting upper torso but not so far as in yoga moves. Just lifting head and chest while maintaining head in a downward looking position- don't straighten your head to look forward as you would in yoga. In Sara Meeks book she shows a progression of these exercises to work on--starting with arms at sides, then arms in goal post position, then arms out in front. The back extensors are a big thing to focus on. . Sara also shows scapular stabilization exercises done lying down with a resistance band. My local library had Sara 's book and then I bought it online at her site. Good luck with your exercise program!

Old 02-10-2008, 11:48 AM   #4
    podiecat
    (female)

podiecat HB User

Hi Osteoblast and Taape,

I actually have that book, Walking Tall, and many others. I just can't get myself to do anything alone at home. They do have a Tai Chi class there but due to my hard of hearing issue I can't seem to follow along the right way. That happens in most classes.

While I've got you, I mentioned in a previous post that I often find myself twisting when backing up in my car. That seems really bad but I'm only 5'1" and can't see enough if I just look in the rear-view mirror.

Have you heard of anyone having a spontaneous spinal fracture while backing their car up by twisting? It's probably the most dangerous thing I do...

Old 02-10-2008, 01:04 PM   #5
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User

Podiecat- I know exactly what you are talking about although I haven't driven in a long time. For years I lived in a large metro area where driving was just not necessary at all. Now it would be helpful but I don't want to and a part of it is for sure the back thing you are talking about.(Also I hope to be in the big city again real soon and have access to great public transit!) Two thoughts --one, when you turn don't do it as a twisting motion but pick up your rear to shift the angle that you are at before you turn your head -two, get a panoramic mirror, that might make it so you don't have to turn or at least not as much. The Sara Meeks book is Walk Tall. --Walking Tall is a different book. Also in Walk Tall she mentions to take a garbage bag like a very large heavy one fold it and put in on the car seat so you sit on it. It then becomes a surface that moves with you when you are getting in and out . Maybe it would help making it less of a twist when you look back and more of a pivot if you lift your hips to move from there. I hope I explained it so you could get what I am saying.

Last edited by osteoblast; 02-10-2008 at 01:08 PM.

Old 02-10-2008, 01:20 PM   #6
    podiecat
    (female)

podiecat HB User

Yes, you definitely do help!!!

I think that IS the book I have. I need to find it and read it through.

Take care......

Old 02-10-2008, 04:59 PM   #7
    starfish81
    (female)

starfish81 HB User

Hi Podiecat: Way to go! Congrats on your gym membership. There are some who would say I'm irresponsible in sharing this with you, but we're all in this together and I assume you want to hear different perspectives. My hips are osteopenia, my spine is similar to yours. My doctor has never told me to restrict exercise in any way. About 18 months ago I started doing beginner Pilates plus working with a personal trainer 1-2x/week. I do it all-bending, lifting, and twisting (besides, how else am I going to shovel my driveway?). My lower spine has had some degree of lordosis since childhood, and that, coupled with years of poor posture (job-related) and tight hamstrings has left me rather inflexible. So I'm working with supervised stretches (spine, hamstrings, hip flexors) to change this, and it seems to be helping.
    I look at my BMD as an increased risk of fracture, not "if you twist you'll fracture for sure". Because I'm so pleased with the results of my workouts, I choose to take that risk.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:12 AM   #8
    phylwill1152
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

Hi Podicat...you'll enjoy working out at the gym and trying new classes. Getting out of the house and being with others is always good. I work at a curves like place and we have the machines. Not all that a regular gyms has, but we have an assortment. You'll want to avoid the ones that twist and bend forward, but the the others should be good and safe to use. The one good thing about machines is that they align your body in the proper postion for each exercise. They are a good way to get you going with weight training. I prefer free hand weighs but still use the machines sometimes. On your first day ask one of the instructors to show you the proper way to use each machine. If your lucky there may be someone there whoes informed about osteo and can tell you the dos and don't. Also, when doing the classes ask for modifications it there is something you don't feel comfortable about doing, a good instructor will be able to help you.

I agree with Starfish...i do what i want and haven't had any problems. My dr. didn't give me a list of things not to do either...he just said walk and exercise, which i'd already been doing. Once i got over the inital dx and the "you'll break" thinking things have been fine. I've never been real flexible so deep forward bends are something i've never been able to do. I've always admired those who could sit with straight legs and put their head on their lap. Now that i have a middle aged middle (that i'd love to get rid of) bending forward has a natural stopping point .

If you try something at the gym that doesn't feel right or have doubts about..don't do it. there are so many exercises that do a body good that skipping a few won't hurt. And there are also ways to modify most exercises so they fit your needs. I've found that the more exercise i get the better i feel, both physically and mentally. You've done the hard part already by joining the gym. have fun and let us know how it goes. take care...phyllis

Old 02-11-2008, 07:26 PM   #9
    sierrawalker
    (female)

sierrawalker HB User

Podiecat - I agree with others here... I love my gym & classes. I have been doing yoga & tai chi for a couple years before knowing my condition. Even with a dexa of -4.5, I have been told by 2 doctors to continue with classes the gym! The classes are much more fun than trying to do the same at home alone. I admit, after learning my scores, I limit the amount of twisting & bending everywhere. You will want to advise the instructors of your condition, then you'll feel better. I'm thinking of going back to pilates again, quit because it was huring my neck. (Being weak I was using my neck instead of core.)

Thanks osteoblast with the sack idea for the car. I already have the panoramic mirror but was thinking of removing it. I can turn more now than a year ago. (probably thanks to the gym)

I hope it helps you feel better. After classes, I often soak in the warm water to stretch. Feels great to practice tai chi in the water.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:05 PM   #10
    peppurr
    (female)

peppurr HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by podiecat View Post
    Hi All,

The cabin fever from being trapped in my house with four feet of snow in my driveway forced me to finally get my but in gear and join the gym. In addition to machines, they also have classes of yoga and more. It does make me nervous because they don't seem to have any concept of osteo so I need to go in there very clear about how much I can do and what I must do.

Tomorrow morning I'm going to start the gentle yoga class. I know I'm not supposed to do flexing of my torso or twisting, but I do remember that there is plenty of that in yoga. I'm 55 and my lumbar spine and femoral neck are my worst DEXA scores of -3.5 and -4. Do you think some very slow, gentle stretching and postures in those areas is okay in yoga? The thing is, I know that I move like that just living everyday!

I have also never done the circuit machines. I think with those it will be obvious what to avoid but I would love feedback.....

Thanks...
    Yes. Be very careful - like you said these instructors are not trained for osteo. I've mentioned this somewhere else here. I used to do yoga before finding out that I had osteo in my spine. I had to quit. I now take a special pilates class geared to osteo.
    I don't even feel comfortable giving you some easy stretches in view of your scores (except for walking). Best thing for you, I would say, would be to walk, walk, walk on a treadmill (considering that 4' of snow you have). You might try searching for osteo exercizes on the internet. I found some from the Mayo clinic which you can do just sitting in your chair.

Old 02-15-2008, 04:53 PM   #11
    DesertBloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User

Hi All~~I just ran across an article at the NOF, which is several pages long about "safe yoga" poses for people with osteoporosis. I didn't read the entire article, but if you want to read it for yourself look at the National Osteoporosis Foundation, and the article is listed on their home page. Typically they mentioned not to do the poses where you stand on your head (crow pose I think) and some others where you have to bend forward with slumped shoulders. Anyway, there were still some things you could do if you are interested. If it didn't hurt to do yoga, I would go back to doing it daily, but I just can't get into most of the positions anymore, and I really miss it.

I did have a lot of drs tell me not to do certain things while exercising, mostly bending, lifting and twisting, but I believe they were taking all my back surgeries into consideration, and the fact that I had so many fusions fall apart (not a good sign with weak bones) plus having hardware in place. One dr said to me...well don't be dead lifting 50 pound weights off the ground from a bent at the waist stance, and I laughed because I couldn't do that if my life depended on it. I think we all just have to figure out for ourselves what we can and can't do, and the things I don't do are the positions that hurt terribly, so your body let's you know on some things. I still have to put my shoes and socks on and that requires bending, so it's really hard to follow these things to the letter, and I think they know that. I think the main thing is to stay away from high risk bending, twisting and lifting, since you can't give up everything.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:51 PM   #12
    sierrawalker
    (female)

sierrawalker HB User

DesertBloom - thanks, article on safe yoga sounds interesting. I am trying to find the article but not seeing it. I went to the home page & do not see it. Might just be me.....appreciate the help, thanks, laura

Old 02-18-2008, 05:31 PM   #13
    DesertBloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User

Hi Laura: Sorry about that...I just noticed what you said and you're right it's not on the home page at the NOF. I get newsletters from them and I guess I got the link from that. I was considering starting a NOF chapter in my area, which is basically a support group, since the closest NOF group is 100 miles away from me, so that's why they send me these. The link takes you to a registered area of the NOF, so here are the books they mentioned in the 3 part article.

The author of the article is: Suza Francina, and she has several books on yoga, but the one with the osteoporosis section is titled "The New Yoga for Healthy Aging," she also mentions Sara Meeks (PT) book called "Yoga and Osteoporosis." You can also call the Iyengar Yoga Inter Assoc of the U.S., and see if they have any instructors in your area that incorporate osteoporosis safe yoga instructions. Evidentally, there are quite a few around the country, but I can't remember where you live, so you could call them, and I think they are based in NY, and they have classes in all the major cities in the U.S. HTH

Last edited by DesertBloom; 02-18-2008 at 05:33 PM.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:39 PM   #14
    sierrawalker
    (female)

sierrawalker HB User

Thanks DesertBloom - I live in Reno, Nevada & will make some phone calls. Appreciate the titles also, I'll try to find a copy of the books at our library. It would be great to know what is safe, right now I'm avoiding the bending & twisting moves. Maybe there is a support group close to me. Thanks again.

Closed Thread