It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• Anyone stopped Fosamax due to aches and pains?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-04-2008, 08:40 PM   #1
    yellowdaisy
    (female)

yellowdaisy HB User
    Anyone stopped Fosamax due to aches and pains?

I began to take Fosamax 3 months ago for osteopenia (almost osteoporosis, hip -2.4, spine -2.1). I stopped after 6 weeks because of aching hips. Now, 6 weeks after stopping, my hips are feeling improved, but not completely better. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Has your pain gone away? How long did it take? I've decided to go with a nutrition/supplement/exercise approach and I really hope it's going to be enough, because I do not want to go back on those drugs. Thanks!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2008, 09:54 AM   #2
    Piano0105
    Veteran
    (female)

Piano0105 HB UserPiano0105 HB UserPiano0105 HB UserPiano0105 HB User
    Re: Anyone stopped Fosamax due to aches and pains?

Yes, I had a similar experience. Pain went away within a week of stopping both Actonel and Fosamax. At your stage you are doing the right thing -- these drugs are nasty. I won't take them either.

Old 05-05-2008, 04:54 PM   #3
    yellowdaisy
    (female)

yellowdaisy HB User

Thank you for responding Piano. I actually just went to my chiropractor today and he did some "hard" massage on the areas, he said it's muscular, and it does feel a little better now. But I'm not going back on Fosamax, after all I've read in the past 6 weeks, I just couldn't. So I hope all my natural remedies are going to work. If anyone has any great ideas, please let me know! Thanks.

Old 05-06-2008, 04:22 AM   #4
    yef
    (female)

yef HB User

My doctor prescribed first Boniva then Fosamax for my osteopenia about
    1-1/2 years ago. I felt like I aged two decades in two days! (severe bone pain {back, chest, knees etc.}; upset stomach; flu-like symptoms). At first, I didn't link it to the bisphosphonates, but the more research I did, the more I was able to pinpoint it to the medications. Thankfully, I discontinued both medications without any long-term complications. In January, the FDA issued an alert to physicians linking incapacitating bone pain with some patients on bisphosphonates. I made sure that I forwarded it on to my physician since I was told originally that my symptoms were unrelated to the medications.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:00 PM   #5
    peppurr
    (female)

peppurr HB User

Yef Glad you gave the info to your physician. It really ticks me off that these doctors don't know more but, I guess, in all fairness, you can't really expect them to be on top of everything because there is too much. We have to be proactive.

I took Fosamax for 3 months. My hips & knees ached. I put on about 8 lbs., my jaw started aching and I was getting cramps in my feet. That's when I decided to do some research.
    It took a few months for me to get back to normal, but I did.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:12 PM   #6
    DesertBloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User

Hi All: I took Actonel and had a similar experience-intermittent stabbing leg pain. I stopped taking it and the pain went away immediately. I switched to another drug because the Actonel didn't improve my t-scores any. I just read another article a couple of days ago, that mentioned severe bone/muscle pain as a side effect of bisphos's and that anyone taking these with this result should alert their Dr.

Good luck to you all with whatever you're doing for osteo...

Last edited by DesertBloom; 05-06-2008 at 08:37 PM.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:20 PM   #7
    Mel52
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

I took Actonal for 3 months and had headaches and some bone aches. However, one morning after taking my weekly pill, I felt like I not only had the flu but thought I was either having an appendix attack or a kidney infection. The pain was so bad and the chills so severe I really got scared. I was awake all night and finally went to ER as we have no clinics open here on Sundays. The dr couldn't find anything wrong. I started researching the side effects and definitely believe Actonal was the culprit. I now take the Fortical nasal spray which is not the first drug of choice but it doesn't hurt me. I take D, calcium and magnesium along with my multiple vitamins.

Closed Thread