It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• Dexa adjustments for Strontium

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-16-2008, 12:34 PM   #1
    karin6167
    (female)

karin6167 HB User
    Dexa adjustments for Strontium

Some time ago information was given with a formula to take off a certain amount of increase in bone mineral density if you were taking Strontium citrate. It could have been on Pubmed.org but I went there and couldn't find it. I did find other good stuff on Strontium, but not instructions on reading a DEXA. Does anyone know where it is or what it said?
    Thanks!
    Karin

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2008, 12:43 PM   #2
    DesertBloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User
    Re: Dexa adjustments for Strontium

Hi Karin: Read the post below from me (DesertBloom) and you can look at one of the articles for this equation. There are several others from the Journal of Clinical Densitometry, which are available thru PubMed as " strontium content and dexa adjustments". Don't be surprised if the techincians don't know how to use this formula. Since SC isn't an approved med here in the U.S. and you are taking an OTC of it, I don't think anyone at a dxa facility will bother to figure this out. Strontium Citrate makes your bones look 10% denser than they really are.

Good Luck...

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=599672&page=3[/url]

Old 05-16-2008, 02:17 PM   #3
    phylwill1152
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

Hi Karin...i've been taking strontium for almost 2 years now and when i had a DEXA last June i took in the article DB mentioned. They pretty much disregarded it. What my dr. had me do was stop taking it for 30 days prior to the scan. I don't know where he got that info, but i followed his instructions. I did show improvements on the DEXA even with taking 10% off on my own. If strontium malonate gets FDA approval i imagine the adjustments will be avalable then. take care..phyllis

Old 05-17-2008, 04:58 AM   #4
    Canna
    (female)

Canna HB User

Phyllis just wondering.... did u also stop calcium for 30 days before dexa as well.. or just strontium??

Old 05-18-2008, 07:52 AM   #5
    phylwill1152
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

Hi Canna..no, i didn't stop calcium, I wasn't told to do that. I read somewhere that it only takes a short time for the strontium in your system to leave your body, so maybe thats why i was told to stop for 30 days. I really have no idea as to the why. What i was told is that the info came from an article he/they found by a Dr. Hoffman. I haven't been able to find that article so maybe its on a medical site we don't have acess too. Have a good day..take care..phyllis

Old 05-18-2008, 11:19 AM   #6
    Canna
    (female)

Canna HB User

ok ... thanks Phyllis.. Dr Hoffman has a good head on his shoulders... I listen to some of his radio shows on computer.. I will stop taking my strontium for 30 days before my dexa in august. Hope u had a great weekend!

Old 05-18-2008, 12:03 PM   #7
    phylwill1152
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi Canna...another thought..when you schedule your DEXA tell them at that time that your are taking strontium, but are going to stop 30 days prior to the date given. By some chance they may be able to find the actual adjustments in that time. I was told to stop the calcium a day before the scan. And another...call around to area hospitals and see if any of them are familiar with strontium and its effect on a DEXA. I did't have any luck around here, but then again, you might get lucky. take cre..phyllis

Old 05-18-2008, 03:14 PM   #8
    Canna
    (female)

Canna HB User

Phyllis I doubt it... to be quiet honest.. if i will be lucky as that and dexa adjustments whatever chance you got in the USA ours is even less. My dexa has been booked since last September because we are covered here under the health care system.. we don't have to pay for it so the demand is quiet high and only 2 hospitals in our area. Stontium is like an unheard-of word.. ha but I will not take it for 30 days prior to dexa... guess we get a clearer reading when it has gone out of the body.. takecare

Closed Thread