It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• what is the t score for severe osteoporosis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-19-2008, 11:12 PM   #1
    gambled
    (female)

gambled HB User
    what is the t score for severe osteoporosis

I am 22 yrs old , have a T score of -2.8, is this severe and should it be treated and if so how soon

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2008, 06:01 AM   #2
    starfish81
    (female)

starfish81 HB User
    Re: what is the t score for severe osteoporosis

My understanding was that osteoporosis was termed "severe" only if you had had a prior fracture. So "severe osteoporosis" could be anything below -2.5 if-and only if-you had the fracture

Have you had any blood/urine tests or other examinations to determine whether another medical condition is causing your bone density to drop?
    Before you do anything, I would suggest reading "The Myth of Osteoporosis" by Gillian Sanson. She has a daughter with BMD measurements similar to yours.

Unfortunately, most pharmaceutical treatments out there have not been evaluated on the pre-menopausal woman. That's why I'd recommend reading and researching before making any decision.

Good luck, and by all means drop in again; we're very helpful on these boards.

Old 12-29-2008, 01:33 PM   #3
    Rosy22
    (female)

Rosy22 HB User
    Re: what is the t score for severe osteoporosis

At 19, have t score of -2.4 so am interested in whatever you find out. I know there is something called a z score to compare with same sex peers. T score is norm of 25-35 year olds I think.

Closed Thread