It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• For you young osteopenia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-30-2002, 07:13 PM   #1
    melissa123

melissa123 HB User
    Talking For you young osteopenia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, I have severe osteopenia in my hips and mildly in my wrists. I am going for a mri for to see if I have avascular necrosis(sp). I am so shocked at this. I take Fosamax once a week and calcium and vitamin D. I know how you feel. It is just heartbreaking to me. I am 26yrs old with three kids who are 4(soon to be 5)3, and 2. I have a lot of pain to the point to where i cant give my kids a bath. I also have a fracture that didnt heal at right T-7. If you ever need to talk I will listen. Trust me I know how you feel.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2002, 12:47 AM   #2
    jeani
    (female)

jeani HB User
    Talking

Hi I am a newbee to this board and to osteopenia. I am having alot of hip pain. I am taking evista and it seems to have harsh side effects. what do you take?

Old 05-03-2002, 07:40 AM   #3
    melissa123

melissa123 HB User
    I am on Fosamax, so far with no side effects. I also take calcium and vitamin d. I constantly have pain in my hips and I go next Friday for a mri to see if i have avascular necrosis. Dont know much about that but i hope i dont have it. Do you have a lot of pain?? My back kills me and my hips ache when i sleep. I dont know about the evista but the fosamax is ok so far i have been on it for 2 1/2 months now.

Old 06-07-2002, 11:55 AM   #4
    Now What

Now What HB User
    I too was diagnosed. I found out last Christmas at 39 years old. I have been on Fosamax since December, 2001. So far I haven't had any problems, but I noticed that I gained a little bit of weight.

Have a Nice Day

Old 06-08-2002, 04:45 AM   #5
    bjg
    Senior Veteran

bjg HB User
    the is for now what...you should know that according to the manufacturer.fosamax was trialed only on post menopausal women ..which means that altho it is not contra indicated the safety for use by women who have not gone thru menopause has not been established.........

Old 06-08-2002, 09:12 AM   #6
    melissa123

melissa123 HB User
    I talked to my dr and pharmacist. I even contacted merk after i kept hearing people say this. It is perfectly safe to use even though I have not yet gone through menopause. Thank you for your reply.

Old 06-30-2002, 01:20 PM   #7
    bjg
    Senior Veteran

bjg HB User
    i seriously question what your dr and pharmacist are telling you...the only way to know if a drug is safe or not is by a clinical trial ..in this case where they would administer the drug to women not yet in menopause..and follow them for a period of time...to see what side effects they have had...from what the drug manufacturer has told me it has not been tested in women who are still getting a period...so how do your pharmacist and dr know it is safe for you to take......all they could know is that it is not contra indicated...but they could not possibley know that the safety and effectiveness for other than post menopausal women has been established..because it has not..i would not take the word of 2 people no matter who they were......tell them both you need facts..why are they saying it is safe...etc...good luck

Old 07-03-2002, 01:11 PM   #8
    georgeann7474

georgeann7474 HB User
    Thumbs up

Hi, I am new here. Was just told on7/2/02 that I had Osteopenia. I was told to walk alot and excersize and take vitimin c with d in it. I feel like it was down played by my dr. I started to go threw menapause at 42 i am now 51 and still experiencing HOT FLASHES even though I am on HRT. Can someone help me? I don't even know what this Osteopenia is. What is it and can I make it go away. I had a bone density test and it caame back w/bone loss in my left hip and spine. What does all this mean? Please help I'm scared.
    Ty
    Georgeann

Old 07-04-2002, 05:12 AM   #9
    bjg
    Senior Veteran

bjg HB User
    osteopenia is usually the precursor to osteoperosis9decreased bone density)....there are meds you can take to that supposedly stop bone loss..actonel,fosamax, and evista...they all have the potential for serious side effects..you didnt mention that your dr told you take calcium...that is important..my gyn recommends os cal with d ....there is also an osteoperosis diet that tells what foods you should be eating..ask your dr for a copy of it...weithgt bearing exercises are supposed to help ..good luck

Old 07-24-2002, 12:03 PM   #10
    ostiopain

ostiopain HB User
    I would like to know what a weight bearing exercise would be. I have RA and my hands are not good for holding weights...what can I do?
    Please contact me here or at this email addy

[removed].COM

[This message has been edited by ostiopain (edited 07-24-2002).]

[edited to remove personal contact information.
    As per the Board Guidelines, messages may not
    offer personal contact information.
    Please do not post your email address.
    All discussions on the message board, please.]

[This message has been edited by moderator2 (edited 07-24-2002).]

Closed Thread