It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• Microcrystalline Hydroxyapatite Calcium

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-06-2003, 05:25 PM   #1
    dianelip

dianelip HB User
    Lightbulb Microcrystalline Hydroxyapatite Calcium

Hi, I'm new to this board. I have osteopenia and my mother has moderate osteoporosis. I've been searching for the best supplements I can find to help her. I've found that the MCHA type calcium studies show its superiority to any other type and the only type that can actually add bone in addition to slowing bone loss . My mother and I have recently started using it based on the research I've done. I've searched this board for any info on it. All I could find was a comment that the molecules may be too large to be absorbed. I have not read this objection anywhere but I will defintitely look into it. Does anyone have knowledge of MCHA or Microcrystalline Hydroxyapatite Calcium??
    Many superior vitamin comanies sell it such as Jarrow's Bone-Up product, which includes other nutrients. Maybe these other nutrients have to be in the product for the calcium to be fully utilized. I'm hopeful that this form may be a better source than calcium citrate because I've read that less than 30% of citrate is actually absorbable.
    Would appreciate any input.
    thanks,
    diane

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2003, 03:36 AM   #2
    peregrine
    Inactive

peregrine HB User
    Diane,

I think the most absorbable is liquid. I take Innovative Natural's Cal/Mag with Vitamin D. It contains 3 different types of calcium. You and your mother also need vitamins D and K to enhance absorption.

All the best!

[This message has been edited by peregrine (edited 08-07-2003).]

Old 08-07-2003, 06:34 AM   #3
    tilly2
    Inactive

tilly2 HB User
    Don't forget magnesium...you must take magnesium with your calcium for it to be absorbed properly.

Old 08-07-2003, 08:25 AM   #4
    marciakeeney

marciakeeney HB User
    Actually I think it is vitamin D that is required for your calcium to be absorbed, so be sure you get it orally (it's in most multivites and some calcium supplements, and is also in fortified milk products. The best source is sunlight on your skin for short periods). The vitamin D/calcium absorption connection is scientifically documented. Magnesium is a little more iffy. Although I do take it, my family doctor says that it is not necessary for calcium absorption. I

Old 08-07-2003, 08:55 AM   #5
    peregrine
    Inactive

peregrine HB User
    I agree with Tilly that magnesium is essential to work with the calcium! My understanding is that you even need more mag than cal and that is what I take.

Old 08-07-2003, 01:35 PM   #6
    kiki lou

kiki lou HB User
    Hi,

I have steroid induced osteopenia, and am 40 years old, and had nursed a child prior to beginning steroids.

I tried the Bone Up mentioned, and I regained bone mass according to my follow up DEXA. I know longer have osteopenia in my hips! I used the full six caps a day. I think it's a useful product.

Good luck.

kiki

Old 08-08-2003, 12:32 PM   #7
    dianelip

dianelip HB User
    Hi, I too just bought some Bone-Up but the day it came in I got an email from Dr. Michael Murray (i'm sure you've heard of him and his website). I had asked him about Microcrystalline Hydoxyapatite's absorbability. His response referred to a study: Deroisy R., Zartarian M, Meurmans L, et al and
    Clin Rheumatol 1997;16:249-53
    I did input his references in Google and found the study. It was the only negative study on this form of calcium I could find. It just seems like every time you think you've found something that would be better for your bones, something comes up against it. I don't know if I should let one negative study stop me from trying it. Problem is you can't tell how well its working until you get another bone density test and when you're in your 50's they are not apt to give you one every year.
    If you have taken this form, Bone-Up, and had positive results, did your bone density test show the change since your last test when you were taking another form of calcium? Or do you just feel the difference somehow?

Old 08-08-2003, 03:07 PM   #8
    dianelip

dianelip HB User
    I just got off the phone with the product manager at Jarrow, whose company sells Bone-Up. He says the study Dr. Murray refers to is very misleading because individuals in that particular study were taking the calcium on an empty stomach. He said MCHC calcium needs to be taken with meals, which include protein, for best absorption. This may be where the technicality lies. Other forms of calcium can be taken on an empty stomach, the best for this being the citrate form. So for people who are taking the MCHC form on empty stomachs it won't be as effective. You have to have the HCL acid that your stomach produces when you ingest protein such as meat, fish, egg, etc. for your body to effectively digest and absorb the calcium. Or he said you can take Betaine HCL (Hydrochloride) to help if you do not consume protein with your meal. But protein activates the best stomach acids to absorb the Microcrystalline Hydroxyapatite calcium. So taken properly it does outperform any other form of calcium...so much so, that less mgs. may be needed of this type than others. Anyway, for those of us that may not be eating protein with every meal like breakfast for instance, we could either take the citrate form with that meal or take a Betaine HCL supplement to help with the digestion of the MCHC.
    I think i'll take the Citrate form with my breakfast toast, and MCHC with my meals that have more protein.
    By the way, this is a great sight! There is so much good advice. Thanks.
    Oh, does the liquid calcium "Innovative Natural's Cal/Mag w/Vit.D" tastes good?
    Also, many bone complex products also contain Zinc, Vit. C, and boron which they say is also needed for good bones and to prevent loss.

Old 08-08-2003, 04:50 PM   #9
    kiki lou

kiki lou HB User
    I was taking Citracal at the time of the first test. I immediately switched to Bone Up on the advice of a physician friend. That made the difference!

Kiki

Old 08-09-2003, 04:05 AM   #10
    peregrine
    Inactive

peregrine HB User
    It is my belief that Bone Up did nothing for me, this is because my nails remained thin and peeled the whole time I was using it. This changed with weeks when I started using my liquid cal/mag. I also checked it in vinegar for absorbability and it didn't pass.

I do think, however, that different people may respond better to different products.

Peregrine

Closed Thread