It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• Can anyone take fosomax or actenol without awful side affects??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-12-2003, 04:55 PM   #1
    Sarah101

Sarah101 HB User
    Post Can anyone take fosomax or actenol without awful side affects??

After reading all of your posts it seems to me that the two big drugs for osteo.- fosomax and actenol are really horrible for us. Almost everyone on this board got terrible side affects . Also, some said that these pills did not even help them even with the side affects. My question is- Can anyone take these pills without the gastro and esophagial distress? It seems that some of you still have these side affects even after taking the pills. This is just a terrible thing. SO what are we suppose to do about bone loss if the meds. that are suppose to help us make us sicker? It just does not seem right that there are not any other choices. This is the reason that I am going to a doctor that deals in alternative medicines. I know that he believes in liquid calcium plus other minerals as well. I am told that he makes a program for your particular problem. SInce my options are very limited, I am hoping that this will be a right decision. However, if I would hear that some people can take these meds without any problems, then I would feel more comfortable in trying them. But, as I said, I just have not seen that here.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2003, 09:57 PM   #2
    Gabriella

Gabriella HB User
    So far, no side effects. Been a couple months now with the fosamax. Also have a friend who's taken it for several years now with no problems.

Old 06-18-2003, 07:00 AM   #3
    JaneK

JaneK HB User
    When I had my bone density screening recently I was told that I needed to take Fosomax since I was starting to have bone loss. I have been taking the drug for 2 1/2 months and had no side effects until a few days ago. I have horrible pains in my stomach and also a burning sensation. I spoke with a friend of mine who had the same symptons after a month and her doctor took her off the drug and put her on 1000mg of calcium daily.

Has anyone else had these problems? This drug is scary. I was also told by my friend that this drug can cause ulcers and bleeding in the stomach.

Old 07-22-2003, 07:56 PM   #4
    Deborah Adair

Deborah Adair HB User
    Smile

I took Actonel a couple of years ago for about 6 weeks. I started having indigestion. Even though I stopped taking it, I continued to experience a "sour" stomach and indigestion for about 1 year afterwards. Currently, it is a lot better, but I still have periodic bouts. Prior to taking the Actonel, I never had such symptoms. My doctor wanted me to try it again, but this time drinking a 1/2 glass of water before the full glass and not eating for at least 1 hour afterwards. I tried it this past weekend, but felt periodic heartburn. I was terrified to take it again, because I was afraid I would re-experience stomach distress. A part of me thought that the heartburn may have been caused psychosomatically by my fears. A bigger part of me feels that the heartburn was real. With all the other side effects others experience with Actonel, I think I will stop it completely.

Old 08-02-2003, 09:49 PM   #5
    Mollymalone

Mollymalone HB User
    The first Fosomax I took was the "Once a Week" dosage. I took it first thing in the morning, with 2 or 3 giant glasses of water, and I did not lie down after swallowing it. I took my shower, got ready for work, etc etc, went to work...in about 3 hours I thought I was going to have to go home. Oh my gosh - it was like FIRE!! I had someone run to a store and grab me a half gallon of milk, which I drank to try to soothe my stomach and intestines. I will NEVER, EVER take the once a week dose again. You couldn't pay me to take it. It was like a liquid volcano that went through my body.

Next I tried the once a day dose. I got up in the morning, took it with a giant glass of water, drank another glass of water in about 10 minutes, and did the same as before - take my shower and get ready for work. Now, that didn't really bother me. After a few weeks of it, another doctor told me to not take it because he's trying to reverse the osteoporosis in another way (by getting my thyroid under control). So I quit.

Last week I discovered a loose tooth. A loose tooth? Me? I'm 60, for Pete's sake! I called the dentist in a panic and told him about the newly discovered osteoporosis. He told me to get in there the very next day for an X-ray. I did. The X-ray told the bad news. I have bone loss even in my jaw. Holy cow. Am I going to start losing my teeth, too? Well, I called my regular family doctor and told her about the loose tooth and she gave me a scrip for the daily Fosomax and agreed that maybe I'd better go back on it.

I get up, go right to the kitchen and pour a giant glass of ice water into which I've put a few tablespoons of lemon juice. I take the Fosomax with the entire glass of water, pour another glass of water, go to the garage and walk on the treadmill for a few miles, then go take my shower, dry my hair, put on my makeup, etc etc, all the time taking more swallows of the water until the second glass is gone. I usually pour a third glass of water and drink it, too. I have had no problems doing it this way.

The doctor treating my thyroid problem told me Fosomax and Actonel are both horrible, and that he wishes there were something better for us women with osteoporosis. My choice is to take Fosomax, mainly because of the bone loss in my jaw. I've talked to two women who have taken it for a year and who have both seen a great deal of improvement in their bone mineral density. I just feel like I have to try it and see if it won't help the bone loss in my jaw. I've accepted gray hair and some wrinkles - I don't know about losing my teeth. That's a hard one to accept.

Old 08-03-2003, 06:15 AM   #6
    bjg
    Senior Veteran

bjg HB User
    my guess is that there area many women who take actonel and fosamax and have no side effects at all..probably more of them than the ones like me who had side effects..you just dont see them posting on this site usually because they are having to problem from the meds and so it is a non issue for them

Old 08-03-2003, 09:06 AM   #7
    GKP

GKP HB User
    I recently began taking Fosomax for my osteopenia, and I asked my sister, who is a pharmacist, if drinking more than the 6-8 ounces of water recommended with Foxomax could cause any problems. She spoke with both a drug rep and a doctor, who told her that drinking a large amount of water with the drug might propel the Fosomax back up into the esophagus, where, as we all know, it can do some damage. I don't know if there is any truth to his hypothesis, but I have been careful not to overdo the water (although I'd like to drink a lot more--I'm generally pretty thirsty). Ask your doctor--this could be part of the problem. Has anyone else heard this?

Old 08-04-2003, 04:54 AM   #8
    bjg
    Senior Veteran

bjg HB User
    why not call the makers of fosamax with that question about drinking alot of water...merck..800-672-6372

Old 08-04-2003, 08:11 AM   #9
    GKP

GKP HB User
    Thanks so much for the suggestion!

I did call the Merck line and spoke to a very helpful representative, who checked and found that the research trials had all been conducted with 6-8 ounces of water consumption. They simply haven't tested Fosomax with more water than that, so the information just isn't available. But, now I understand why no one has been able to give me a definitive answer!

Old 08-04-2003, 08:24 PM   #10
    Mollymalone

Mollymalone HB User
    I don't understand what you're talking about. Why would drinking more water "propel" the pill back up? I always drink lots of water, with meals, without meals, and I've never had any amount of water "propel" anything back up. Do you mean to say that too much water could cause the Fosomax to NOT work? I don't understand that one.

[This message has been edited by Mollymalone (edited 08-05-2003).]

Old 08-05-2003, 10:09 AM   #11
    GKP

GKP HB User
    Well, frankly, that explanation seemed a little whacko to me, too! I believe the person who told my sister this was probably just creating an explanation, when the truth of the matter is that Merck only tested Fosamax with an intake of 6-8 ounces of water.

I don't know enough about anatomy to understand if it is even possible for water to be regurgitated back up from the stomach into the esophagus, which is why I asked the Merck customer rep. Perhaps our doctors would know,though--or at least I hope so!

Old 08-07-2003, 06:37 PM   #12
    Mollymalone

Mollymalone HB User
    Well, this water thing has been bugging me since we started talking about it. I keep asking myself, "Now, why do you need to drink do much water with it?" Silly me. What a short memory I have.

That first Fosomax pill I took, the high dosage one that you take once a week, is what did it. That darned thing burned SO bad, ALL the way through. It wasn't just in my throat - it was all the way out, and it lasted all day long. I didn't take another one, and never will, but it burned so bad that when I finally started the once a day dosage I just decided I'd better drink a LOT of water with that one, too. Especially after reading about all the side effects.

So...I just got into this habit and kept drinking a lot of water with it, every morning. The only bad part about doing it that way is that by the time I'm ready for work, in the car and driving down the highway, all that water is flushing through my bladder. My drive takes almost an hour, and a few mornings I had to get off the highway and drive a little bit down the road to find the Fred Meyer's store with a bathroom close to the front door, so I could rush in.

For the last two mornings I've just had 6 to 8 oz. I didn't use a measuring cup because I've been measuring things when I cook all my life, so I figure I know what 6 to 8 oz is. The main thing is that I'm not drinking 2 or 3 big glasses of water. What a difference. I had to rush in the door when I finally got to work this morning, but I didn't feel like my teeth might float away half way to work.

Old 08-16-2003, 12:13 PM   #13
    bjg
    Senior Veteran

bjg HB User
    i have recently heard that drinking too much water can cause problems..for everyone just not those on fosamax..i have heard that new government guidelines should be coming out shortly..that they will be revising the current recommendation of 6 to 8 glasses a day...last i read one half ounce for every lb of body weight was suggested..so if you are say 120lbs you should drink 60 ounces

Old 08-18-2003, 04:29 AM   #14
    flyonthewall
    Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User
    Mollymalone---The patient information says to take plain water with Fosamax. The lemon juice could be a problem. I was using distilled water.

Old 08-20-2003, 06:58 PM   #15
    loriannb

loriannb HB User
    It is with regret I have just found this informative board. I was put on Fosamx and have been on it for 2.5 months. The once a week type. I have had the most horrible sore throat, indigestion, hearburn ever in my life. I just visited my Dr. and they did an EKG to find out if I am having heart problems. It is this fosamax medicine. I am not sure what else to take. I am 54 and well on my way to osteoporosis land that is for sure. I am hedging my bets there are many people with side effects. I am not taking this medicine anymore. I will take my chances with the broken bones. I think it is dangerous. Just my honest opinion.

Closed Thread