It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• Has anyone with Osteopenia had a fracture?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-02-2003, 02:48 PM   #1
    JulieKaye

JulieKaye HB User
    Question Has anyone with Osteopenia had a fracture?

I have osteopenia, so I've stepped up by exercise (just walking and low-impact dance areboics) and increased calcium supplements to 1000 mg daily. Also, I have been taking Fosomax for 3 weeks. However, out of the blue, the top of my foot starting hurting during walking (I just walked a mile on a track). The next day I could not walk on it. Tommorrow I'll find out if I have a fracture. This is scary stuff since I did not do a single thing that I can remember to hurt my foot. I feel stupid when people ask me what happened, since I don't know. I thought I was at a low risk for a fracture and had to fall and obviously hurt myself, etc. Anyone out there with osteopenia had a fracture or similar situation? If so, can you still exercise after the fracture is healed? I'm scared to do any physical activity after this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2003, 05:15 AM   #2
    bjg
    Senior Veteran

bjg HB User
    i have moderate osteopenia..the dr who read my bone density scan told me that means my risk of fracture is increased four to sixfold ...

Old 06-03-2003, 09:46 AM   #3
    peregrine
    Inactive

peregrine HB User
    Quote:
    Originally posted by JulieKaye:
    Anyone out there with osteopenia had a fracture or similar situation? If so, can you still exercise after the fracture is healed? I'm scared to do any physical activity after this.
    Once something is completely healed I don't think you need to worry about exercising. Did you check with your doctor? With specific questions such as this, I find it helpful to go to the "Ask a Podiatrist"/"Ask a Physical Therapist"/"Ask an Orthopedic Doctor", etc. sites. I wish I could give you the URLs, but that's forbidden on this site. You can probably find them by doing a search on Google.

Best,

Peregrine

Old 06-23-2003, 01:50 PM   #4
    SonomaT

SonomaT HB User
    I actually had my bone density checked because of a stress fracture I suffered in my hip after beginning a ***moderate*** jogging program. I knew I was not running enough for my injury to be "normal". It turned out I have osteopenia in both hips. I have been on fosomax for a little over a year now and have not been regular with my exercise because I have been chasing a toddler and with hyopthyrodism am a bit draggy these days! I have noticed some soreness in my hips on recent walks, but nothing like the pain of the stress fracture. I try not to push my self too much and not increase my exercise too rapidly as I have read that can over-stress the body and cause problems for some people. But I am beginning a new exercise regime and hopeful that moderate exercise and weight lifting will not cause a repeat of my stress fracture. I am definitely not running, though!!!

Good luck to you!
    Lara

Old 07-06-2003, 06:48 PM   #5
    Mollymalone

Mollymalone HB User
    I broke my foot. Twice. The first time I dropped a log on it when I was building a log house. The second time I got off my Harley without putting the kickstand down. (The guys all stood around and laughed at me and said every biker has to do it once, which didn't make me feel any better.)

The first time I was raising kids on my own and didn't have any medical insurance so I didn't even go to the doctor. The second time the doctor told me he saw the first break in the X-ray, and the second break was right over the first one. Why he didn't order a bone density test then I sure don't know. Anyway, that second break took a horribly long time to heal, and the doctor was even getting worried about it, telling me he thought I'd probably have to have surgery if it didn't hurry up and heal.

It finally did heal and I heaved a sigh of relief. Now I know why it took so long to heal - because of osteoporosis. I didn't know, though, until a few months ago, and it took some time for the "light to come on" and to put all those pieces of the puzzle together. Meanwhile, I have contined a rigorous walking schedule. I have a treadmill now and walk every day. My walking schedule is even more serious since the discovery that I have osteoporosis. It never crossed my mind until I saw your post here that I should be worried about my foot breaking again.

So, to answer your question, I'm one who has had a broken foot (twice) and I'm walking on it. Actually, I think all the walking I do makes it stronger. I'm not sure about that, but I think it does. I have really good walking shoes and I always warm up good. My foot doesn't hurt at all.

I sure hope your isn't broken!! I know what you mean when you say you feel stupid when someone asks you about it. I REALLY felt stupid when I had to say I did it by getting off my Harley without putting the kickstand down. It was a dumb thing to do

Old 07-13-2003, 09:54 AM   #6
    JAYB
    Veteran
    (male)

JAYB HB User
    Unhappy

Last edited by JAYB; 11-13-2003 at 04:37 AM.

Old 08-28-2003, 08:41 AM   #7
    Christine Pullman

Christine Pullman HB User
    Question

I am a 39 year old female, not menopausal, about 50 lb overweight and moderately active. I began experiencing pain in my L ankle in 2/03 and sought medical attention. Of course the xray showed nothing and my fp diagnosed ankle sprain. I knew that wasn't the problem, but I followed her treatment plan for 3 weeks while the pain got worse. She then sent me to have an MRI, which showed a stress fx of the distal tibia. She recommended continuing the treatment plan of moderate activity, ankle brace with activity, and an anti-inflam Rx PRN.
    Needless to say, in June the pain was still present (though not as acute as in 3/03). I self referred to an ortho. He repeated the xray and saw a change from the one I had in 2/03, which he thought might be osteonecrosis I experienced no trauma or incident to which I could attribute this injury, which even perplexed him. In 7/03 he repeated the MRI, which showed the fx again, with some, but minimal healing.
    I had a dexa done several days ago that has indicated osteopenia. I have a return visit scheduled with the ortho, but I am concerned by this diagnosis. I have been reading about the risk factors, and can not see that any fit me. I love dairy products (hence the weight), I walk regularly, had been exercising at a womens gym regularly for the past year, and had lost 20 lb. My thyroid has always tested normal, I don't have a history of smoking or drinking (other than the occasional social one), and no history of steroid use. Any ideas?

Old 08-29-2003, 08:13 PM   #8
    JulieKaye

JulieKaye HB User
    Several doctors have looked at my x-rays and say that I don't have a fracture, but now I wonder since they did not do an MRI. They are calling mine bursitis & tendonitis in both knees and one hip. All blood tests so far are normal for sed rate, thyroid, etc. I'm just 42, but could be going through early menopause. The only symptom I have of possible menopause is night sweats. They did an ultrasound on my ovaries and said I was not producing enough estrogen. However, I've always had a hormone imbalance and may have polycystic ovary syndrome. I've heard that estrogen levels start to decline in perimenopause, which can possibly cause bone loss.

Old 08-31-2003, 11:00 AM   #9
    USAFMOM
    (female)

USAFMOM HB User
    I've recently called the endocrinologist I had seen two weeks ago for test results. I am 41, premenopausal, with mild to moderate osteopenia. She did a panel of labs including hormones, thyroid, etc. etc., and these are all normal, however, the nurse would not give me the results to my thoracic and lumbar spine films over the phone. She could only tell me that "there were old changes, nothing new or acute." Well, this kind of language is usually referring to old fractures seen in bones. The x-rays were done for shrinkage and pain in my back. I'm fearing when I go in to see her in three weeks she is going to tell me there are old compression fractures showing. I keep thinking back to just a couple of years ago when I was acting like a kid on the trampoline with the kids in our back yard, falling and bouncing onto my back, rollercoasters I've been on, etc. etc. This is scary! I do step aerobics now and have been doing jumping vertically as I read this was excellent for osteoporosis, however, now I feel like I have to be careful at least until I see the doc again. Can anybody relate to compression fractures of the spine??

Old 08-31-2003, 05:35 PM   #10
    marciakeeney

marciakeeney HB User
    Here I am tooting Miriam Nelson's horn again. In Strong Women Strong Bones, she talks about exercises to prevent osteoporosis - and vertical jumping is one of them -- very good for building bone. But if you already have osteoporosis you have to avoid jarring stuff like that. As far as osteopenia, I am not sure (someone borrowed my book and I can't look to see if she addresses that) -- you probably would want to be more careful and do the gentler stuff would be my guess. There are lots of gentle bone strengthening exercises -- lifting weights, using ankle weights in specific ways, squats and lunges. Check her book out - it's great for fine tuning a program for your specific situation.

Old 09-01-2003, 05:52 AM   #11
    USAFMOM
    (female)

USAFMOM HB User
    Thanks, I do have her book and found it to be very helpful. That is where I learned about the vertical exercises. She does mention the need to modify exercises if you have osteoporosis, but I do not believe osteopenia. However, one simply must use common sense and good judgement I think too, starting slow, nothing too extreme. Much can be accomplished by doing moderate exercise, one does not have to run marathons or anything. Warm up is important too. Gee, common sense and good judgement....I guess this means I have to reconsider the trampoline and rollercoasters, huh!?

Old 09-08-2003, 09:35 PM   #12
    NancyH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NancyH HB User
    When I was diagnosed with ostoeporosis 6 yrs ago my Dr point blank told me if I'm not in the professional status of a roller skater then I better stay off them. My lumbar was -3.5 and the hips 3.7. I would love to get back on roller skates again but since I'm not a skillful professional I can't take the chance. So I had to modify my fun activities to walking briskly or using the elliptical machine, no more tumbling or rollar skating and I really miss those.

Closed Thread