It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• Actonel and Muscle Pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-13-2003, 06:08 PM   #1
    wvsteve

wvsteve HB User
    Post Actonel and Muscle Pain

Hi,
    Male, 52, dx'd with osteopenia. Since I've been on Actonel ( 14 weeks ), I've been having muscular problems. After about 4 or 5 weeks on the Actonel, I developed a sore back near the kidney area, feeling like a slight back strain. This stayed with me for 3 or 4 weeks. Then 3 weeks ago, while puttering around the yard (nothing real strenous), I experienced a real sharp pain in the back, like a pulled muscle. For the next 2 weeks, it literally took my breath away if I happened to move wrong. It pretty much cleared up, to a slight twinge occasionally. Yesterday, puttering around the yard again, it was like I pulled a stomach muscle. Man, does it hurt when I move wrong.

I've always been fairly active, and in reasonably good physical fitness, and never really experienced muscle pulls. The only thing different I can come up with is the Actonel.

Reading the side effects, I find nothing dealing with muscular. So maybe I'm totally off base.

Has anyone else had similar experiences?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2003, 06:22 PM   #2
    peregrine
    Inactive

peregrine HB User
    Many people on this board have reported symptoms, while using this and other osteo drugs, that are not listed on the side-effect inserts. Muscular pains is one of those symptoms I have seen posted here.

Peregrine

[This message has been edited by peregrine (edited 10-13-2003).]

Old 10-17-2003, 01:37 PM   #3
    aliboba7

aliboba7 HB User
    If you are experiencing side effects, you might want to talk to your doctor because there are other options out there other than Actonel. After I did some research, I found that Fosamax is actually indicated for men (b/c it has been studied in men). I do not believe that Actonel is even indicated for men(according to the precribing information it has not been studied in males). Food for thought!

Old 10-18-2003, 09:36 PM   #4
    trappster

trappster HB User
    I too am experiencing back problems and taking Actenol. I am a female, so maybe this means it doesn't matter what gender you are. I even purchased a new mattress to help relieve some of the pain; it didn't help! Now I am dealing with hair loss and can't help thinking this too is a side effect of the drug. I'm afraid to stop though because a friend tried to do it on her own, the natural way, and she went from Osteopenia to Osteoporosis. I can stand the back pain, but the hair loss may definitely do me in.

Old 11-17-2003, 01:53 AM   #5
    jrws

Back pain, hair loss, ugh!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by trappster
    I too am experiencing back problems and taking Actenol. I am a female, so maybe this means it doesn't matter what gender you are. I even purchased a new mattress to help relieve some of the pain; it didn't help! Now I am dealing with hair loss and can't help thinking this too is a side effect of the drug. I'm afraid to stop though because a friend tried to do it on her own, the natural way, and she went from Osteopenia to Osteoporosis. I can stand the back pain, but the hair loss may definitely do me in.
    DearTappster,

Have you found out anything new regarding an assosciation between Actonel and the back pain / hair loss situation?

I have been on and off of Fosomax for a year or more. I recently moved over to Actonel. (Used the 1 X a week dose in both). I do have a history of back problems, but had not been bothered for a long while. Recently, with what seemed to be my use of Actonel, the back problems returned (pain in toes and ball of one foot too -- related to back??). I have noticed hair loss (frontal worse than anywhere) as well.

I hAd a dental bridge put on back in May and have experienced tooth pain on upper where it was done, then lower (right under the area). The dentist who did the work sees nothing wrong with the bite or x-rays. I moved on to an endodontist at my dentists suggestion. I have been seeing him for over a month . He is waiting for the pain (which comes and goes!) to "chose it's tooth". I am wondering how much of this on and off again pain might be related to the meds?

It is sometimes hard to figure out where aging, menopause, and all the rest play into this. I also have on and off again indigestion and I don't recall this before the use of the biophosphonates. I'm a 58 yr old female.

Hope you are doing ok. I'll keep checking these boards to see if anyone turns anything interesting up regarding these connections.

I do agree that most people who post here have problems and there are proably many out there who are doing ok with these meds.

best of luck!

jrws

Old 12-01-2003, 06:45 PM   #6
    dorri
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB User
    Re: Actonel and Muscle Pain

I just posted " Actonel and joint pain". I'm sorry to hear of your symptoms. I take the 1/wk pill and I'm pleased I tolerate it well. I'm thinking that my joint pain may be unrelated. Don't know for sure. Hope you get answers soon!

Old 08-24-2007, 05:30 PM   #7
    johnf33
    (male)

johnf33 HB User

Several years ago I tried Fosomax for osteopenia. Because it caused lower back and muscle pain, I discontinued it and switched to Actonel. For two years I had no problems with Actonel. When Boniva was announced, I switched again, hoping to benefit from the monthly dose, instead of the weekly one. After the second dose of Boniva, I experienced a very uncomfortable day of lower back pain. Again, I returned to Actonel. After the second week on Actonel and a rigorous morning of exercise two days after the second pill, I was struck by excruciating lower back muscle pain that lasted for an entire day and was barely relieved by pain medication. Later in the day the pain migrated down to the hip joint, and by today it was in the knee and lower leg. My lower leg also has some numbness. I'm finished with all of these medications. The side effects are worse than the potential risks of osteopenia.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:07 PM   #8
    dorri
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB User

Hmm..it's hard to say but the Boniva must be formulated different so maybe you weren't getting the same benefits from it? If you went off the Boniva and restarted the actonel, you may have added the actonel back to soon, because doesn't it take a while for the Boniva to clear the system? I think you should go back to your doctor and ask him?. Hopefully he will be able to answer your question. I wasn't able to take actonel.

Old 08-26-2007, 04:52 PM   #9
    DesertBloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User

Hi John: I'm so sorry you're having this pain with Actonel. There's no doubt that Actonel and the other bisphosphonates can cause bone, muscle, and joint pain. I'll post an article below that I recently was given that explains the FDA's warnings on this, although this news isn't new, the drs etc have known about it for a long time.

When I took Actonel I didn't have your particular problem, but I did get shooting pains in my back that only lasted a couple of minutes. I'm no longer on Actonel and have been on Forteo for 15 mos. Even though my days of taking Actonel are over for a year now, I'm still having problems that are being blammed on Actonel. I won't go into the whole story, since I have already in other threads, but I'm having dental probs where teeth need to be pulled, and the Dentist has now told me he won't extract my teeth because of the Actonel use, and possible ONJ (osteonecrosis) scare. I do not have ONJ, and the risk of getting it from the oral use Actonel is still small, but I guess my dentist feels that this extraction is over his head, after reading about the special surgical precautions that need to be taken, that he got from the ADA on Friday. I now have to go to a oral surgeon and hope he will extract the teeth since one is already infected and I'm worried about getting septicemia from leaving the infected tooth in so long. I'm on very strong antibiotics for this, that are making me very ill, but I have no choice to try and keep the infection from reaching the bone. Back to your situation...

What I'm wondering, in your case, is it possible you might have injured your back while doing those exercises? It is "so" easy to injure your back, and I would hate for you to immediately assume it's the Actonel before you've had your back checked by a dr. If the pain is radiating down your leg, then it means the sciatic nerve is involved, and I've never heard of bisphosphonates causing nerve pain. I have heard about the bone and joint pain but not nerve. Would your insurance cover an ortho exam/with say a ct scan or mri or x-rays? If you did something to the paraspinal muscles (run next to spine) or your discs while exercising this could explain the pain in your leg. If you look up Dermatome, you can see a good picture of all the nerves in your body and where they travel from the spine. At least this might give you some idea if the pain in your back also corresponds to the nerve pain in your leg by looking at the chart. Specific areas of the sciatic run down your leg from the spine to the knee, hip, foot etc. and you can tell from the chart which disc area is effecting the raditating pain. I have permanent sciatic nerve damage from a back surgery, and it radiates through my lower back, on through the buttocks, down my leg and into my foot, because I have disc/nerve damage from L1 through S1.

Here's an article my dentist gave me on this phenomenom about severe bone and joint pain with bisphosphonates. I'm not sure why they gave this to me, because they are only concerned with the ONJ implications of extracting a tooth.

Good luck I hope you find out what's going on, and I would rule out any back/spine/muscle/nerve injury before I was completely convinced it was the Actonel causing this. The reason for this is if you don't further investigate this problem it could be caused by something in your spinal area and you won't know that if you don't take the investigation any further than believing that it could only be the Actonel that caused this. Your back is precious, so don't over look a possible injury, due to your exercises. If you ever read of bisphosphonates also causing nerve pain, please let me know, since in many years I've never been able to quantify that statement. They do, as you know cause bone, muscle and joint pain, but I've never heard of nerve pain probs from these drugs. Because the pain is in your leg, a nerve is almost definitely involved since there is no other way for pain to travel from you back to your leg without the nerve. This problem may very well be from the Actonel, but to know that for sure you need to rule out any other possibilities. I would hate to find out, down the road, that you did injure your back and you never found out about it.

[url]http://www.ada.org/prof/resources/topics/science_bisphosphonates_pain.asp[/url]

Good luck again and let us know if you find out anymore in either direction.

Last edited by DesertBloom; 08-26-2007 at 05:13 PM.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:07 PM   #10
    sandydune33
    (female)

sandydune33 HB User

error, i moved this

Last edited by sandydune33; 05-28-2008 at 05:15 PM.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:36 PM   #11
    Mel52
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

I took Actonel for 3 months. I had headaches and bone pain but I tolerated it. One morning, after taking my dose, I developed severe back and side pain. As the day progressed I had chills. I couldn't sleep at all and in the morning I went to ER thinking I had a kidney infection or my appendix were going bad. Tests were normal. That was the last time I ever took that stuff! I use now the nasal spray Forical.
    The pain was different than back pain. I had a couple herniated discs and was waiting for surgery which I had two months ago. This was a totally different kind of pain

Old 06-19-2008, 11:22 AM   #12
    kdon
    (female)

kdon HB User

I had severe muscle pain with Actonel - to the point I couldn't sleep at night for the pain. Lucky for me (if you could call it that), I developed a severe allergic reaction to Actonel and had to be taken off - after about a week, the muscle pain went completely away. Now I take Fosomax with no side effects whatsoever. Talk to your doctor.

Closed Thread