It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• 54 & my Osteo is scary!!!

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 11-21-2014, 03:45 PM   #1
    Moonstar22
    (female)

Moonstar22 HB UserMoonstar22 HB UserMoonstar22 HB User
    54 & my Osteo is scary!!!

I was recently diag. with osteoporosis and I have issues with almost my whole spine! My report says;

BONE MINERAL DENSITY (DXA): LS SPINE AND HIPS
    SCANNER: Dual Energy X-ray Absorptiometry (DXA) - LUNAR Original data mailed
    under separate cover. Hard Copy available via Hospital Imaging Archive (PACS).
    OVERALL STATUS: OSTEOPOROSIS : Lowest Value: Left hip femoral neck T = -2.6.
    Major Sites associated with Osteoporosis: 1 of 3: Left hip femoral neck.
    Major Sites LIMITED TO Osteopenia: 1 of 3: Right hip.
    AGGRESSIVE TREATMENT RECOMMENDATIONS (NOF Criteria): Active management
    recommended on the basis of results from both hips.
    AP LUMBAR SPINE: Readings from the lumbar spine are suspect because of the
    presence of extensive orthopedic hardware extending from L1 through L4. Readings
    from the lumbar spine are not utilized in this assessment.
    SUSPICION SECONDARY ETIOLOGIES OF BONE LOSS: Lumbar spine may be affected by
    periprosthetic osteopenia. Hips are not suspect for secondary etiologies of bone
    loss.
    COMPARISON (based upon L1-L4 Averaged Values Total Mean Dual Hip Values):
    No previous study for comparison.
    FRAX SCORE predicts 10 year probability for fracture: Risk of Major
    Osteoporotic Fx = 7.6 % Risk of Hip Fx = 2.1 %.
    ________________________________________ ___________________________
    DEFINITIONS:
    "T SCORE" = deviation from young control population.
    "Z SCORE" = deviation from age matched population.
    WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION (WHO): Dx Osteoporosis T = -2.5 sd. Dx osteopenia T =
    -1.0 to -2.5 sd.
    NATIONAL OSTEOPOROSIS FOUNDATION (NOF): Tx if T = -2.0 sd (or T = -1.5 sd with
    significant risk factors).
    FRAX (FRACTURE RISK ASSESSMENT) TOOL (WHO): 10 year probability major
    osteoporotic or hip fracture.
    FRACTURE RISK: Each sd or 10% reduction in bone mass = 3X Hip 2X Spine
    increase in fracture risk.
    FRACTURE RISK: A 1% decrease in bone mass = 10% increase in fracture risk.
    FRACTURE THRESHOLD: Increased risk of fracture if below 0.99 g/cm2 for spine and
    0.89 g/cm2 for the hip.

What is a "Z" score? I see a lot of people talk about it but I don't see one for me in this report. I do know my score is bad -2.6

Now I wonder if having this has anything to do with all my spine problems. I've has surgery on my neck and a horrible one on my back so far and more is needed in my neck and my thoracic. I will not have another surgery unless I can't take the pain anymore. I'm on pain meds so hopefully, that will continue to work. Didn't know until recently that my bones are so weak.

My PCP put me on Alendronate. This med scars me but if it helps strengthen my bones I guess it's worth it?? I don't know.

Can anyone here offer any info on the test above or any advice? Oh yea, what are weight bearing exercises? I walk with a cane & am very limited in what I can do physically. Thank you in advance....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2014, 05:15 PM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: 54 & my Osteo is scary!!!

You don't show your Z score - or I couldn't find it - but it's when your density is compared to women of your age.

I wouldn't get all exercised over this dx. You've barely got osteoporosis. It starts at -2.5 and you're jsut at -2.6. So it's not bad at all.

Weight bearing exercise is lifting weights, wearing wrist/ankle weights when walking, etc. In other words, including weight - even low weight - when you excercise (walk, jog, etc).

I don't think meds are called for. Ithink you can get by with diet, vitamins D and C and light weights when walking. Additionally, have you considered hormones? Are you menopausal? Are you on HRT or birth control? That can be very effective as well.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:25 PM   #3
    Moonstar22
    (female)

Thank you for the info, it helped a lot! I think I will take the last dose of alendronate I have & then stop. I do not like the side effects about the heart anyway

Old 12-14-2014, 07:09 AM   #4
    jw90
    (female)

jw90 HB Userjw90 HB Userjw90 HB Userjw90 HB Userjw90 HB Userjw90 HB User

I had numbers like that when I was 56 and I have never taken any drugs I am now 69 and I make sure that I do weight lifting and excercising and Hrt helps to keep the bones strong.. and I have always thought it was unfair to compare us to 20 years old..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:27 AM   #5
    Moonstar22
    (female)

Well, I did stop taking this medication. Gave me a burning stomach ache after the 2nd & 3rd dose so I stopped. It feels like doctors just keep writing scripts for meds one after the other with every ailment. I'm not a pill person and I'm on enough as it is. I certainly am not going to take something that makes me feel sick. Anyway, I don't feel my numbers are bad enough to go on these types of medicines.

Reply Reply