It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Just started on the Fentanyl Patch 50mcg

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-20-2015, 10:06 PM   #1
    scottyboy24
    (male)

scottyboy24 HB User
    Cool Just started on the Fentanyl Patch 50mcg

Hi, I just found this site and signed up!
    I just started on this patch, due to chronic pain, and because i abused oxy's, and can't stand the way Tramadol makes me sweat and feel.
    In 2007 i blew out a disc, L5-S1, and continued to work, further damaging nerves. That's when i also found out i had degenerative disc decease, and if i continued to do the only work i knew, i would be replacing at least 3-4 more disc, sooner than i want to. I now have the 4 rods and cage. The Dr. took bone from my hip w/o even telling me! I spent 5 days in the hospital,2 weeks flat on my back in bed, had 57 stitches and now a ton of scar tissue. So bad that the epidurals didn't work. I even tried 2 different stimulator trials that i am glad i did not have implanted!(because i know people that are having to have them removed now)
    Anyway, I was put on full disability along with The dreaded Oxycodone. I was up to 150 mg per day of IR, (due to the ER being too expensive), and ultimately of course became addicted, and started abusing them, to the point that i would run out of them about 2-5 days early every month, because they could not prescribe me any more per day, and the pain was terrible, and of course i continuously craved that "feeling of well being", because i had become very depressed and anxious, after not being able to work any longer at the age of 43.
    THEN it all happened! MY NIGHTMARE BECAME REALITY!
    My PM RETIRED AND LEFT TOWN, and dumped me off to a PM that cut down on the meds instead of going up! NOW the fun really began! I was sick of this nightmare!
    I was sick of not wanting to do anything but sit and stare at tv, and the clock in anticipation of my next oxy! So i done it! I weaned myself off, went thru the hell associated with quitting!The worst feeling in the world! And now i had nothing for the chronic pain that was not going anywhere! So i tried all the other meds out there, but they wouldn't touch my pain level. And talk about depression! OMG!
    BUT Then i found a GP that really stepped in to help me. She gave me some depression meds, meloxicam,gabapentin, and Tramadol.(because she didn't consider it an opiate-- but time would prove it is, because now the law has changed on it as also an abused drug) I take 6 of 50mg Tramadol per day, but could not take the pain that still persisted,or the hot-flashes anymore after 2 yrs on the stuff, and ask if there was a med in a transdermal patch i could try? She let me try the Butrans patch, but the insurance denied payment, and no way i could afford $370 per mth for it. Next thing i knew, the insurance told us they would cover the Fentanyl patch, and here i am!
    I have heard a lot of diff things good and bad about this, but more of it good than bad. So far now for the 2 wks i have been using it, all the HOT-FLASHES that the Oxy and the Tramadol give me are gone, i feel more like myself, except for sleep problems, and it is working ok for my pain. But i still have to take the tramadol for break through, and i want to stop this tramadol!
    *I hate this medication, Tramadol!
    Does anyone out there, know what would be the best med for the break through pain while continuing on this patch?
    I guess i am scared to go back to oxycodone, because it just makes me feel too good, therefor i do not trust myself with it, even though it is a great pain killer!
    Would the Hydrocodone work in the place of the tramadol? Or would it be about the same?
    Anyway, i love the patch because it is not a pill that i can pop early, and doesn't give me the high that oxy did, but does also manage my mild depression. (i have since weened off the Citalopram i was on!)
    Got a question:
    WHY DIDN'T THAT SORRY PM THAT I HAD, AFTER MY OTHER PM RETIRED, SEE THAT I WAS IN TROUBLE W/THE OXY, AND JUST SIMPLY MOVE ME TO THIS PATCH, INSTEAD OF DROPPING ME LIKE A BAD HABIT, SINCE I REFUSED AT THE TIME TO LET HIM LOWER MY AMOUNT?
    THAT SORRY, LOW LIFE OF A SO CALLED DOCTOR, COULD HAVE SAVED ME FROM YEARS OF HELL, WITH THIS PATCH!
    SORRY, about that! I get up-set at the very thought of that NO COMPASSION, idiot! LOL!
    Anyway, does anyone have some input/advice about the Fentanyl Patch?
    Do you think, given my situation, this is the answer for me?
    I feel it really is my last hope for LONG TERM sanity!
    If not, any other / better suggestions?
    I guess my biggest fear now, is that after more time goes by, this patch ends up not being what i need, and then i have problems stopping it and have to experience the NIGHTMARE of withdrawals all over again!
    (because i would not wish that nightmare on my worst enemy!!)

Thanks for reading, and any first-hand,experienced guidance, concerning the Fentanyl patch, will be forever appreciated!
    Sorry for the loooooooong read!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2015, 10:32 AM   #2
    backhurtz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User
    Re: Just started on the Fentanyl Patch 50mcg

I am not sure why you are upset with the doctors, since you said you refused to let the doctor lower your meds.
    As far as the fentanyl patches and what breakthrough meds would be a good option, that decision has to be made by your doctor. He will decide what meds he is comfortable prescribing in your case.
    Extended release meds are no different than immediate release, except that they deliver meds at a constant rate, over an extended time period, rather than the short time frame that immediate release ones do, and the feeling of the meds kicking in usually isn't felt, because the delivery is much smoother and steady. Fentanyl doesn't help with depression, since there is no anti depression component to that medication.
    You will need to discuss the breakthrough med options with your doctor.

Last edited by backhurtz; 06-21-2015 at 10:38 AM.

Old 06-21-2015, 01:06 PM   #3
    backhurtz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User

One piece of advice that I will give you is that 50 mcg.of fentanyl is a significant dose. Your extended release meds should cover much of your all day, every day pain.
    The use of breakthrough medications, no matter what they are, are meant to be on occassions when your pain is spiraling out of control. You should NOT be taking your breakthrough meds on any kind of regular basis. All that does is drive up the total amount of opiates in your system and your body very quickly adapts to and expects it, increasing tolerance issues, resulting in ever increasing doses and complaints about meds being ineffective and needing too frequent increases.
    You also wind up with nothing at all to manage severe flares of pain.
    The proper use of breakthrough meds is to use them only when the pain is severe, and after other methods of trying to reduce the pain, ice,heat, TENs, rest, anti inflammatory meds have failed, and then you want to use the lowest dose of your breakthrough for the shortest time frame possible.
    For instance , for my flare ups, I try ice ,heat, massage, TENs, stretching, rest, a hot bath or shower, a muscle relaxer, first.....if those fail, then I take half a tablet of my breakthrough and rest for half an hour, if the pain is still severe, then I will try more ice or heat, and the other half of the breakthrough med if absolutely necessary.
    If you use the medications and alternative ways of managing slight increases of pain , you will find that your overall pain control is much better, and you need less frequent increases.

Last edited by backhurtz; 06-21-2015 at 01:11 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to backhurtz For This Useful Post:
    callmekassi (08-13-2015)
    Old 07-09-2015, 06:55 AM   #4
    scottyboy24
    (male)

scottyboy24 HB User

Thank you for what sounds like great advice!

Old 07-09-2015, 07:02 AM   #5
    backhurtz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scottyboy24 View Post
    Thank you for what sounds like great advice!
    Your welcome.

Old 08-09-2015, 02:55 AM   #6
    n2braves
    (female)

n2braves HB Usern2braves HB User

Well said backhurtz!

Cindy

Old 08-28-2015, 02:33 PM   #7
    big red one
    (male)

big red one HB User

All I know is the brand of the fentanyl(generic term) patch is key. Some brands like Mallinkrdodt or mallies as some call them such when compared to Sandoz or the brand name Duragesic patch. It is hard to find out what pharmacies stock what generic brands and as I said not all generic brands are the same be it hydroxychloroquine(plaquenil) tablets or fentanyl transdermal systems

Closed Thread