It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Pain, Pain Medication & too Argumentative

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-05-2015, 08:58 PM   #1
    GWHB
    (male)

GWHB HB User
    Pain, Pain Medication & too Argumentative

ending report

Last edited by GWHB; 07-09-2015 at 09:05 PM. Reason: end

The following user gives a hug of support to GWHB:
    momzworkin (07-07-2015)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2015, 08:52 AM   #2
    backhurtz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User
    Re: Pain, Pain Medication & too Argumentative

When is the last time you consulted with a surgeon regarding the neck issues and arthritis?What kind of doctor is currently treating you? What other modalities do you use to help manage pain?
    The lethargy can be a result of decreasing your activity levels, and also the medications.
    Anti inflammatory medications are usually more helpful in arthritis, along with topical ointments, creams and pain relieving rubs and regular excercise.
    Pain can make us cranky and irritable, and can also be a side effect of some medications used to treat pain.
    Depression also goes hand in hand with pain, and there are many medications that treat depression, along with the added benefit of easing pain. Getting some regular excercise such as walking, being outdoors can have drastic effects on both our outlooks and increase our endorphins to help ease depression.

Last edited by backhurtz; 07-06-2015 at 08:54 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to backhurtz For This Useful Post:
    GWHB (07-08-2015)
    Old 07-06-2015, 06:11 PM   #3
    tortoisegirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User

Welcome! Sorry you are dealing with this. It may help to pinpoint whether you had those other symptoms and behavior changes before or after starting pain meds, and if they have increased or decreased as your pain med dose has changed (or you have become tolerant). I agree it is common to have lethargy, depression, sleep problems, and similar with chronic pain. Medications can also often cause side effects. If you are concerned it could be due to the medication, it may help to bring in a spouse, family member, or close friend when you go discuss it with your doctor so they can state what they have observed, and you can discuss whether another medication should be trialed.

And in case it is helpful to the other responders, a search tells me Targin is long acting Oxycodone/Naloxone.

What else are you doing for the pain in addition to medications? Often we need a combination of medications, treatments, lifestyle changes, and more to best manage our pain. Do you feel your doctor is appropriately treating your pain? It isn't expected to be pain free, but 50% pain relief is often a reasonable goal to work toward. A doctor should have new suggestions to help you reach your pain relief goals if you aren't already. How are your pain levels? Is your overall pain level more of an issue, or is it managing spikes in pain (breakthrough pain)? Best wishes.

The Following User Says Thank You to tortoisegirl For This Useful Post:
    GWHB (07-08-2015)
    Old 07-07-2015, 06:13 AM   #4
    momzworkin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

momzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB User

What other meds are you taking besides narcotics? I am a chronic pain patient, but I take adjunct medications to help ease the pain as much as possible. I use Celebrex for arthritis pain, Lyrica for nerve pain, and Cymbalta for both depression and chronic pain. All of these work together to give me the magical #3 pain level I live at most days. Beats the heck out level #8-9 I used to be at.
    I also learned that just MOVING helps tremendously. I can't do much out of the pool, but I do water aerobics several times a week, and sometimes just get in the pool and walk. It really keeps me more limber and helps my endurance for what are sometimes 16 hour days at work.
    09/2011: re-tore shoulder in PT- lost 30% function in shoulder
    06/2013: diagnosed with failure of L2-L3-L4

The Following User Says Thank You to momzworkin For This Useful Post:
    GWHB (07-08-2015)
    Closed Thread

Tags
    chronic pain, medication side effect, neck pain