It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Leg & foot pain nerve issues

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-17-2015, 03:43 AM   #1
    Ole Man N Pain
    (male)

Ole Man N Pain HB User
    Question Leg & foot pain nerve issues

Weened myself off of my narcotic (oxycodone) been taking since 2001. Looking for advice,recommendations of a non narcotic pain med for the pain. In short L3/4 L4/5 S1 had surgery in 2006. Anyone with advice to curb the nerve pain and help sleep would greatly be appreciated... Tired of hurting,hurt with the pain meds,hurt without. Taking neurontin now,any other ideas? I'm a regular getting injections at the pain clinic,they help for a few weeks,if they help at all. Had complications (contracted E-Coli & Staff from surgery)which the E-Coli was n my spine,nervous system.. Antibiotics was supposed to of killed out the infections.
    All the pain clinic wants to do is keep me hammered on narcotics and it's ruined my lifestyle. I'm open for any advice ect....

Thanks Greatly
    Ole Man N Pain

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: Ole Man N Pain
    gmak (09-24-2015),momzworkin (09-23-2015),tortoisegirl (09-19-2015)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2015, 01:38 PM   #2
    momzworkin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

momzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB User
    Re: Leg & foot pain nerve issues

Sounds pretty much like my life. I take Cymbalta, Celebrex, Lyrica, and a muscle relaxer at night along with a single dose of Ultram extended release (300 mg) every day. I do have hydrocodone for break through pain, but I am not taking it at the "same-time-every-day-to-keep-it-working" modality that I do with the non-narcotic meds.
    Do you take anything non-narcotic drugs to help you make it through the day?
    09/2011: re-tore shoulder in PT- lost 30% function in shoulder
    06/2013: diagnosed with failure of L2-L3-L4

Old 09-24-2015, 08:30 AM   #3
    gmak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Hi ole man n pain, I'm so sorry that you're hurting and hurting. I can relate. I went to see the Neurosurgeon for an evaluation and the first thing he ordered for me was a lumbar MRI with contrast because of my complicated history of lumbar myelogram a and epidural steroid injections, multiple lumbar surgeries and centralized pain and he found my diagnosis. Have you had a recent MRI with contrast done since the spinal infection? The NS told me that I couldn't have anymore invasive spine procedures like epidural injections and I am still in pain mgmt and still take narcotic medicine but also take lyrica for the neuropathy symptoms and the muscle relaxer tizanidine or zanaflex works to help me sleep.

Last edited by gmak; 09-24-2015 at 08:35 AM.

Old 09-25-2015, 12:03 AM   #4
    Mg2121
    Veteran
    (female)

Mg2121 HB UserMg2121 HB UserMg2121 HB UserMg2121 HB UserMg2121 HB UserMg2121 HB User

Neurontin is the beginning, there are others, in which I feel work 100 xs better, that they can try if Neurontin isn't helping. Like Lyrica and elavil. Or adding others to the regimen, like Cymbalta. Have you ever looked into a spinal cord stimulator, that's also an option for certain candidates. Good luck and great job getting off the percocet, especially after all those years!

Old 09-27-2015, 03:05 AM   #5
    Mg2121
    Veteran
    (female)

Mg2121 HB UserMg2121 HB UserMg2121 HB UserMg2121 HB UserMg2121 HB UserMg2121 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mg2121 View Post
    Neurontin is the beginning, there are others, in which I feel work 100 xs better, that they can try if Neurontin isn't helping. Like Lyrica and elavil. Or adding others to the regimen, like Cymbalta. Have you ever looked into a spinal cord stimulator, that's also an option for certain candidates. Good luck and great job getting off the percocet, especially after all those years!
    Well...I just wanted to put this out there. A day after I originally replied to your thread I had a very severe and rare allergic reaction to lyrica. I was treated in the emergency room and obviously taken off of it. After this occurred I then looked up the side effects and I am in disbelief of how many there are and how many I had. I was only 9n this med for 2 1/2 weeks and it could have potentially caused irreversible damage if not worse. Just be aware because I was not.

Closed Thread