HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Pain Management (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/pain-management/)
-   -   Need A Pain Management Doctor Immediately in NY (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/pain-management/1010506-need-pain-management-doctor-immediately-ny.html)

SL38 10-07-2015 04:57 PM

Need A Pain Management Doctor Immediately in NY

My leg has been Amputeed and I've been on 30mgs ever since my motorcycle accident!! It's the only thing that gets me through my work day on my feet.

I need a new physician closer to work and/or home because of transportation issues. I occasionally need a driver because of the severity of pain even on my regular daily dosage!!! Some days are worse than others!!

How can I find a new doctor for managing my pain!!!!! I'm out of medication Tomorrow October 8th, 2015 so I need it ASAP!!!!!

Shoreline 10-09-2015 04:37 AM

Re: Need A Pain Management Doctor Immediately in NY

Hi SL38, Even though you may not need a referral from your primary or family doctor for insurance reasons, He is probably your best resource at this time. He can bridge the gap between pain management docs and provide something to prevent withdrawal and recommend and refer you to a new PM doc. Where I live you cant just call and make an apt with a PM doc, You have to be referred either by your GP or one of the surgeons that worked on your case. So if your GP isn't an option than one of your surgeon would be another option to bridge the gap and refer you to someone to manage your pain. Are you having problems with phantom limb pain or still recovering and healing from the accident. Of course, if making a long drive is an option to go back to the doc previously prescribing that's what I would expect you to have to due given so little notice. If they discharged you it may take longer and then your GP is likely the best choice.
Good Luck, Dave

backhurtz 10-09-2015 05:00 PM

[QUOTE=SL38;5386752]My leg has been Amputeed and I've been on 30mgs ever since my motorcycle accident!! It's the only thing that gets me through my work day on my feet.

I need a new physician closer to work and/or home because of transportation issues. I occasionally need a driver because of the severity of pain even on my regular daily dosage!!! Some days are worse than others!!

How can I find a new doctor for managing my pain!!!!! I'm out of medication Tomorrow October 8th, 2015 so I need it ASAP!!!!![/QUOTE]

Why did you wait until the day before you are going to be without med to try to find a new pm doctor?
You are probably going to run into some problems waiting until you run out.
No doctor is required to provide the same medications, dosages or quantity you were given by another provider, and it is pretty unlikely that you are going to find a doctor who is going to write opiates on the first visit.
Typically, the first appt. is a consult, for them to examine you, go over your condition, discuss treatment options, and review your medical records and pharmacy records. Urine testing is usually also part of the new patient intake. Once those results are recieved, if they prescribe opiates, they typically have you return for a follow up.

SL38 10-23-2015 08:20 PM

Everyone thank you for your help!! I'M STILL LOOKING THOUGH.

SL38 10-23-2015 08:24 PM

My leg has been Amputeed and I've been on 30mgs ever since my motorcycle accident!! It's the only thing that gets me through my work day on my feet.

How can I find a new doctor for managing my pain!!!!! I just want to be on what works right now and I have no time in my busy schedule to try something different. But I am more than willing to try something different down the road. In need it ASAP!!!!!

SL38 10-24-2015 02:52 PM

I didn't wait until the last day it's a long story.

SL38 10-24-2015 02:55 PM

[QUOTE=Shoreline;5386986]Hi SL38, Even though you may not need a referral from your primary or family doctor for insurance reasons, He is probably your best resource at this time. He can bridge the gap between pain management docs and provide something to prevent withdrawal and recommend and refer you to a new PM doc. Where I live you cant just call and make an apt with a PM doc, You have to be referred either by your GP or one of the surgeons that worked on your case. So if your GP isn't an option than one of your surgeon would be another option to bridge the gap and refer you to someone to manage your pain. Are you having problems with phantom limb pain or still recovering and healing from the accident. Of course, if making a long drive is an option to go back to the doc previously prescribing that's what I would expect you to have to due given so little notice. If they discharged you it may take longer and then your GP is likely the best choice.
Good Luck, Dave[/QUOTE]
Do you honestly think that my GP would be able to prescribe that type of medication??? Probably once wouldn't be a problem. He would understand that I am transitioning right??

selena64 10-26-2015 04:39 PM

Dear Pain in N.Y. Dave,

If all fails try the E.R. and ask for a Pain Center.You may need
help with withdrawal from meds.Just the only suggestion if you have
not found help by now.

selena64

SL38 10-26-2015 06:09 PM

That's all well and fine but I still can't find a doctor. I can do whatever they ask for..