It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Need A Pain Management Doctor Immediately in NY

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-07-2015, 04:57 PM   #1
    SL38
    Inactive
    (male)

SL38 HB User
    Need A Pain Management Doctor Immediately in NY

My leg has been Amputeed and I've been on 30mgs ever since my motorcycle accident!! It's the only thing that gets me through my work day on my feet.

I need a new physician closer to work and/or home because of transportation issues. I occasionally need a driver because of the severity of pain even on my regular daily dosage!!! Some days are worse than others!!

How can I find a new doctor for managing my pain!!!!! I'm out of medication Tomorrow October 8th, 2015 so I need it ASAP!!!!!

Last edited by Administrator; 10-08-2015 at 06:39 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2015, 04:37 AM   #2
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User
    Re: Need A Pain Management Doctor Immediately in NY

Hi SL38, Even though you may not need a referral from your primary or family doctor for insurance reasons, He is probably your best resource at this time. He can bridge the gap between pain management docs and provide something to prevent withdrawal and recommend and refer you to a new PM doc. Where I live you cant just call and make an apt with a PM doc, You have to be referred either by your GP or one of the surgeons that worked on your case. So if your GP isn't an option than one of your surgeon would be another option to bridge the gap and refer you to someone to manage your pain. Are you having problems with phantom limb pain or still recovering and healing from the accident. Of course, if making a long drive is an option to go back to the doc previously prescribing that's what I would expect you to have to due given so little notice. If they discharged you it may take longer and then your GP is likely the best choice.
    Good Luck, Dave

Old 10-09-2015, 05:00 PM   #3
    backhurtz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SL38 View Post
    My leg has been Amputeed and I've been on 30mgs ever since my motorcycle accident!! It's the only thing that gets me through my work day on my feet.

I need a new physician closer to work and/or home because of transportation issues. I occasionally need a driver because of the severity of pain even on my regular daily dosage!!! Some days are worse than others!!

How can I find a new doctor for managing my pain!!!!! I'm out of medication Tomorrow October 8th, 2015 so I need it ASAP!!!!!
    Why did you wait until the day before you are going to be without med to try to find a new pm doctor?
    You are probably going to run into some problems waiting until you run out.
    No doctor is required to provide the same medications, dosages or quantity you were given by another provider, and it is pretty unlikely that you are going to find a doctor who is going to write opiates on the first visit.
    Typically, the first appt. is a consult, for them to examine you, go over your condition, discuss treatment options, and review your medical records and pharmacy records. Urine testing is usually also part of the new patient intake. Once those results are recieved, if they prescribe opiates, they typically have you return for a follow up.

Old 10-23-2015, 08:20 PM   #4
    SL38
    Inactive
    (male)

SL38 HB User

Everyone thank you for your help!! I'M STILL LOOKING THOUGH.

Old 10-23-2015, 08:24 PM   #5
    SL38
    Inactive
    (male)

SL38 HB User

How can I find a new doctor for managing my pain!!!!! I just want to be on what works right now and I have no time in my busy schedule to try something different. But I am more than willing to try something different down the road. In need it ASAP!!!!!

Old 10-24-2015, 02:52 PM   #6
    SL38
    Inactive
    (male)

SL38 HB User

I didn't wait until the last day it's a long story.

Last edited by SL38; 10-26-2015 at 06:07 PM.

Old 10-24-2015, 02:55 PM   #7
    SL38
    Inactive
    (male)

SL38 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shoreline View Post
    Hi SL38, Even though you may not need a referral from your primary or family doctor for insurance reasons, He is probably your best resource at this time. He can bridge the gap between pain management docs and provide something to prevent withdrawal and recommend and refer you to a new PM doc. Where I live you cant just call and make an apt with a PM doc, You have to be referred either by your GP or one of the surgeons that worked on your case. So if your GP isn't an option than one of your surgeon would be another option to bridge the gap and refer you to someone to manage your pain. Are you having problems with phantom limb pain or still recovering and healing from the accident. Of course, if making a long drive is an option to go back to the doc previously prescribing that's what I would expect you to have to due given so little notice. If they discharged you it may take longer and then your GP is likely the best choice.
    Good Luck, Dave
    Do you honestly think that my GP would be able to prescribe that type of medication??? Probably once wouldn't be a problem. He would understand that I am transitioning right??

Old 10-26-2015, 04:39 PM   #8
    selena64
    (female)

selena64 HB User

Dear Pain in N.Y. Dave,

If all fails try the E.R. and ask for a Pain Center.You may need
    help with withdrawal from meds.Just the only suggestion if you have
    not found help by now.

selena64

Old 10-26-2015, 06:09 PM   #9
    SL38
    Inactive
    (male)

SL38 HB User

That's all well and fine but I still can't find a doctor. I can do whatever they ask for..

Closed Thread