It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• CRPS & Pain Management

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-18-2015, 09:49 AM   #1
    Jayhawker77
    (female)

Jayhawker77 HB User
    CRPS & Pain Management

Hi all,
    I developed CRPS as a result from a ST fusion in my right ankle this past January. I am due to have a spinal cord stimulator implanted in a few weeks. How does everybody cope with the pain? I take Percocet on a daily basis, but some days it just doesn't seem to help. The cooler weather is starting to irritate it more it seems as well. I've notice my foot turns bright red, burns and the ache is undescribable all the way up to my knee. I used to be so active, even competing in fitness competitions and running long distances before all of this. My question, will I ever feel even close to the same again? Will I ever be able to work out again or even go for a long walk? The SCS did reduce my pain dramatically so I have high hopes, but just don't want to put all of my hope in it. What works for everyone else?

The following user gives a hug of support to Jayhawker77:
    tortoisegirl (11-19-2015)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2015, 10:49 AM   #2
    Scaredday7
    (female)

Scaredday7 HB User
    Re: CRPS & Pain Management

Complex Regional Pain Syndrome. Aka, RSD. Have had it almost 20 years & it has ruined my life in many ways. I started out with injections in my right foot, then started having bier blocks, then had a sympathectomy, which was the BEST thing I could have EVER done. PLEASE, PLEASE ask your doctor about the sympathectomy before doing what you are intending & do LOTS of research. Now, onto the show. I was given all different types of meds to try/take. I felt like a guinea pig! Many doctors didn't specialize in RSD, much less even have heard of it! I FINALLY got to a place where I found a combo of meds that worked. Hydrocodone was one of them. If you look up the pain scale, RSD/CRPS is above all! It's horrible! You want to die or cut of the extremity thats causing you the pain. Anyway, I got addicted to the pain meds in order to function & just be "ok" I think after I had the sympathectomy, I could've done without such strong pain meds, but I continued to take the meds I was prescribed. Many years & pills later, I'm on day 7 of suboxone & I'm scared to death. My pain in my foot is tolerable, being addicted to pain meds is not! My suggestion, TRY, TRY, TRY to do anything to stay away from narcotics. I do know it's hard tho knowing how terrible CRPS is. I wish you well.

Closed Thread

Tags
    ankle fusion, pain managment, spinal cord stimulator