It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Medication switch ... Question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-17-2016, 11:38 AM   #1
    11 back operati
    (female)

11 back operati HB User
    Medication switch ... Question

I've had 11 back operations, 2 major stomach operations (mesh covers 15" x 14") & I've got 3 herniated & 1 crushed disc in my neck- no operation. (hooray!) Had trouble getting 1500 tablets/ month- backorder. Doc changed me to morphine (s). So- make me tired where as 15/ ml oxycodone HCL did not. The oxy hit the pain hard & fast- now my thinking is slow. As an author/ artist- need sharp mind. Is this a side effect? Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2016, 11:43 AM   #2
    11 back operati
    (female)

11 back operati HB User
    Re: Medication switch...Question

It's me again, I just posted oxy vrs. morphine- I should add dose of morphine- 90 ml of IR (6x a day) & 600ml/ day of ER.(total for day) Thanks-guess weight has nothing to do w/ it- but 98 lbs.

Old 02-17-2016, 01:16 PM   #3
    tortoisegirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User
    Re: Medication switch ... Question

Morphine has a greater potential to cause sedation than oxycodone (which often has the opposite effect). All opioids have a potential to make someone feel fuzzy headed or even impaired. This may improve over time as your body gets used to the new med. If you at all feel like the dose may be too strong of a conversion, get in touch with your doctor.

Usually they err way on the side of caution when converting, but everyone responds differently, and there is a large potentially "equivalent" dose range due to incomplete cross tolerance. I hope it ends up being helpful.

Also, why was your dose 1,500 pills per prescription? Was there not a higher dose pill? Or were you only on 30mg IR tablets? Best wishes.

Old 02-18-2016, 09:38 AM   #4
    painX
    (male)

painX HB User
    Re: Medication switch...Question

11 back
    your weight (98) is in your favor.
    all med will go to the right place
    for heavier person, there is dead mass, blood circulation has to stuck somewhere
    which will make the medication less effective because medication does not flow via blood stream to the central nervous system,
    lean and small person help blood flow which carry the medication molecules to the brain.

Closed Thread